NGD Esquire 70th anniversary LPB

mimmo

Friend of Leo's
She's finally here! I usually don't have the 'honey moon period' with a new guitar, but this one could be the exception.

In a few words: light, resonant, chunky-but-not-crazy-chunky U-shaped neck, great fret job, tuners keep this thing in tune whatever it may happen, it's lake placid blue and smells like a cake.

The shop sent it perfectly set-up with a new set of strings for no charge. Nice G&G case and case candy. Only downside is the pickguard, it's come quite wrapped (I can easily slip a pick in), I have already changed it with a less-white three-ply pickguard, I quite dig the new look actually.

This morning I got an email saying that the delivery was expected at around noon, then another email said 'delivery rescheduled and expected tomorrow'. OK.

Then I got a phone call from the truck driver, all I had to do was to go downstairs and pick the carton. Cool! I went down and found this:

20220110_164731.jpg

I went like, WTH?? Even my cats were not sure about this! I opened the carton and found that:

20220110_164921.jpg

My cats left the room...
Since I am a brave boy, I decided to open the carton a discovered something familiar: a tweed case. Inside there was this:

20220110_165344.jpg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Sweet!

Sometimes if you loosen the screws on the pickguard just a tiny bit it will flatten out (if you decide to put it back on)

Or it could really just be warped

mimmo

Friend of Leo's
Sweet!

Sometimes if you loosen the screws on the pickguard just a tiny bit it will flatten out (if you decide to put it back on)

Or it could really just be warped

I did it, unfortunately the pickguard is a little warped. I am not sure if I like the three ply one I put on the guitar, eventually I will buy a new Fender pickguard. It's a shame, but I really can't complain as the price was very good and the offered a perfect set up with new strings also.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Scary boxes!

Super guitar, pleased for you. Maybe change the pickguard colour?? See my darker LPB avatar pic. But the white looks good too.

(More pics of the cats?)

mimmo

Friend of Leo's
Scary boxes!

Super guitar, pleased for you. Maybe change the pickguard colour?? See my darker LPB avatar pic. But the white looks good too.

(More pics of the cats?)

Yeah, scary boxes! I have been able to fix the original pickguard, now it stays flush against the body. It's funny you are talking about your avatar guitar, as I was discussing with my g/friend yesterday about a tort pickguard and showed your guitar to her!

I will see if the white grows in me, but this thing screams tort to my eyes. Time will tell.

RE the cats.

Here is Zelda, her objective is to destroy everything and rule the world

ze20211128_215141.jpg

Here is Zoe, just an amazing sweet cat:

zo20210815_181059.jpg

And this is one of my favourite pics, I love when they sleep this way (makes Zelda look like a sweet cat haha)

zezo20200416_162813.jpg

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
Purdy! BTW - seen a lot of Esquires in my day, and never occurred to me to ask: If it only has one pickup, whuffo is the 3-position switch?

ZenGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on a beautiful guitar! LPB is one of my favourite Fender colours.

The pickguard on my LPB Esquire has warped too but I haven't got around to doing anything about it yet. But otherwise the guitar has been great. I've had mine for over a year now and love it.

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
Across the street from Anderson Guitarworks
Beautiful. Glad to hear it was set up and plays great out of the box! Don't discount a 1-ply black pickguard--I suspect they reversed the pg colors on the whole series as some kinda joke!

Purdy! BTW - seen a lot of Esquires in my day, and never occurred to me to ask: If it only has one pickup, whuffo is the 3-position switch?
1. Wide open, same as a standard tele with a delta no-load tone pot on "11"
2. Tone control in circuit, same as a standard tele #1
3. Wide open through a smaller cap, no tone control. Lose some highs without losing as much of the mids.