NGD: ESP LTD EC-1000 ET

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
98FB1A8D-B9E7-44E3-AD55-7283DF97DECB.jpeg

I immediately love the bridge, although the initial fine tuning is kind of a pain.

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
After an evening with it, here are my thoughts.

9.75/10 overall.

the guitar weighs roughly 8 pounds using the “weigh myself without the guitar and subtract it from my weight while holding the guitar” method.

the contours of the body are very comfortable.

the frets are stainless steel and are very well polished. Bending is very easy, much easier than I expected. Even with the evertune bridge bending is easy.

The first con is how difficult it is to set up the evertune bridge. It took over 2 hours to set the tuning, intonation and string height. Fortunately I shouldn’t have to do this again as long as I use the same tension strings.

Once set up the bridge is wonderful. It keeps tune like it says and bending is quite possible. The intonation is spot on. I really like it, I imagine it will be great for upper range arpeggios and capo work.

using an action gauge I was able to initially set the string height to .060” on the low E and .040” on the high e. These were the recommended settings on the gauge and I think I could take it lower.

the nut isn’t bad, the nut slots could be a tiny bit lower and I will probably cut them very slightly more whenever I change strings. It wouldn’t hurt to round over the edges of the nut, it’s not bad but it could be a little better.

my second con is that the edge of the fretboard is hard and angular. The fret edges are nice but I’d really like to roll the edges of the board. If you squeeze too hard you can feel the edges a bit more than I would like.

the neck is thin, similar to an Ibanez RG I used to have but a bit beefier and it feels very rigid and solid.

the knobs and switch feel very nice, the switch has a really nice click when you move it. The push/pull pot is similarly nice.

I haven’t played around too much amplified yet but so far I have no complaints about the Seymour Duncan’s.

My initial impression of them is that they are really good, but not amazing. They are perfectly serviceable and I don’t feel the need to replace them, but they aren’t magical.

The tonal differences between the two humbuckers seems pretty subtle. I may lower the neck humbucker slightly to make a more noticeable difference between the two.

The push/pull doesn’t make them sound like single coils, just lower output humbuckers. (Almost like the opposite of a drive pedal)

The tone control is great, it has a nice gradual taper that goes all the way through the turn of the pot.

the tuners feel fine, there isn’t any slop when turning them.

The hardware all seems to be good quality, the plating is nice all the way around, nothing feels cheap.

The guitar plays great, the frets are a dream, the action is low, the neck is thin, it’s very obviously geared for faster playing styles.

so far I really like it.

Tyuk

Tele-Meister
After an evening with it, here are my thoughts.

9.75/10 overall.

the guitar weighs roughly 8 pounds using the “weigh myself without the guitar and subtract it from my weight while holding the guitar” method.

the contours of the body are very comfortable.

the frets are stainless steel and are very well polished. Bending is very easy, much easier than I expected. Even with the evertune bridge bending is easy.

The first con is how difficult it is to set up the evertune bridge. It took over 2 hours to set the tuning, intonation and string height. Fortunately I shouldn’t have to do this again as long as I use the same tension strings.

Once set up the bridge is wonderful. It keeps tune like it says and bending is quite possible. The intonation is spot on. I really like it, I imagine it will be great for upper range arpeggios and capo work.

using an action gauge I was able to initially set the string height to .060” on the low E and .040” on the high e. These were the recommended settings on the gauge and I think I could take it lower.

the nut isn’t bad, the nut slots could be a tiny bit lower and I will probably cut them very slightly more whenever I change strings. It wouldn’t hurt to round over the edges of the nut, it’s not bad but it could be a little better.

my second con is that the edge of the fretboard is hard and angular. The fret edges are nice but I’d really like to roll the edges of the board. If you squeeze too hard you can feel the edges a bit more than I would like.

the neck is thin, similar to an Ibanez RG I used to have but a bit beefier and it feels very rigid and solid.

the knobs and switch feel very nice, the switch has a really nice click when you move it. The push/pull pot is similarly nice.

I haven’t played around too much amplified yet but so far I have no complaints about the Seymour Duncan’s.

My initial impression of them is that they are really good, but not amazing. They are perfectly serviceable and I don’t feel the need to replace them, but they aren’t magical.

The tonal differences between the two humbuckers seems pretty subtle. I may lower the neck humbucker slightly to make a more noticeable difference between the two.

The push/pull doesn’t make them sound like single coils, just lower output humbuckers. (Almost like the opposite of a drive pedal)

The tone control is great, it has a nice gradual taper that goes all the way through the turn of the pot.

the tuners feel fine, there isn’t any slop when turning them.

The hardware all seems to be good quality, the plating is nice all the way around, nothing feels cheap.

The guitar plays great, the frets are a dream, the action is low, the neck is thin, it’s very obviously geared for faster playing styles.

so far I really like it.
What model pickups? Look like Nazgul, Pegasus and/or Sentient?

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Cool!

I’d like to try one of those bridges at some point

Apparently most people that use them say they are awesome

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
Cool!

I’d like to try one of those bridges at some point

Apparently most people that use them say they are awesome

It traveled several hundred miles through cold snowy weather and arrived perfectly in tune.

the cavity cover is huge and a bit obnoxious but I really like the tuning stability.

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
19912609-38BB-4CFD-B8F0-5B393223DECE.jpeg
2C8E6D37-8F13-4119-B482-5ECE9BFAFFBF.jpeg
59AF064D-A00D-4777-9E34-878646E766C9.jpeg
EAF64F39-26BD-4E44-A185-D17D81FC1013.jpeg
The bridge pickup seems really dark. I’ve played around with pickup heights and it still sounds really dark.

I’ve opened up the back. I’m wondering if the pots are 250 instead of 500.

one oddity is that the bridge volume is closer to the neck and the neck volume is closer to the bridge, I may swap this around.

I don’t know if you can see in the picture but there is a small spot where the cavity paint is messed up.

edit: so all my helix presets are set up for my very bright sounding telecaster, adjusting the eq on some of them gave me a bit of brightness back.

Last edited:

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
The fret ends are very well cut, and the frets are very well polished. That said, the frets were uncomfortable on my hand.

this wasn’t because they were sticking out past the binding, it was because the fret ends where filed at a very steep angle. A few passes with a fret dressing file at a shallower angle solved this and made it more comfortable to hold.

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
After playing for several hours with my only other electric being my telecaster, these are my thoughts.

I like the telecasters sound more; I think I just like single coils more. The SD pickups coil split, with the volume turned down can get close, but my telecaster sounds better to my ears. This isn’t to say the ESP sounds bad, it’s just preference for single coils over humbuckers.

The ESP plays easier than my vintage spec telecaster. It’s more comfortable, the body contours are much nicer. It has 24 fret access, it just generally is easier to play. It has a much lower action and the stainless frets are a dream to bend on. I could probably cut the nut slots deeper on the ESP, I already did this on the telecaster.

I like the neck profile of the telecaster more. It’s not bad on the ESP but it’s definitely a bit thinner and I like the chunkier feel of the telecaster. Again this is a personal preference. Neither is better.

The evertune bridge is fantastic. It’s a PiTA to set up but once that’s done it’s really nice. Notes are intonated perfectly and it’s in tune no matter how much you bend. I am now seriously considering having one installed on my telecaster or saving up to buy a telecaster with one installed already. I really don’t see why not to have these on guitars, there are few downsides. I mean, don’t modify your vintage valuable guitar with one but buying guitars with them preinstalled seems like a no brainer.

Fit and finish is similar on both. The frets where cut well on both but the fret ends where more uncomfortable on the esp, but the nut on the telecaster (MIj daybreak) was the worst cut nut I’ve ever owned until I touched it up with my nut files. So no winner here. Bending is easier on the ESP, the stainless frets are slick. Tuning is of course much more stable on the ESP because of the bridge. The ESP weighs more than the telecaster.

overall, I love it, I love the bridge, I may look into replacing the bridge pickup someday but I’m sure i can offset the cost by reselling the SD JB pickup.