NGD ES335...almost.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
New guitar day today, It's an Artist ES335 cherry 58.
Artist guitars are an Australian supplier of Chinese guitars and I have many of them.
Firstly the finish is exceptional.
The neck is fatter than an LP and noticeably wider and after I adjusted my style a bit it played like a dream straight out of the box.
The Guitar cost me the grand total of $299 Aus dollars so take that Gibson.:lol:
I expected the Chinese pickups to be fairly ordinary so I forked out the big bucks and scored a Seymour Duncan Pearly gates as the Bridge and a Seymour Duncan JB SH4 for the neck but after giving it a play I think I'll keep the original Pickups because they rock, so now I have a set of very expensive pickups (Almost twice the price of the guitar) and nothing to put them in.
I guess I'll have to buy another guitar.
th-3145930862.jpg
5d22313ebd5d745bc535a92c.jpg

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Artist guitars are an Australian supplier of Chinese guitars and I have many of them.
The neck is fatter than an LP and noticeably wider and after I adjusted my style a bit it played like a dream straight out of the box.
The Guitar cost me the grand total of $299 Aus dollars so take that Gibson.:lol:
I expected the Chinese pickups to be fairly ordinary so I forked out the big bucks and scored a Seymour Duncan Pearly gates as the Bridge and a Seymour Duncan JB SH4 for the neck but after giving it a play I think I'll keep the original Pickups because they rock, so now I have a set of very expensive pickups (Almost twice the price of the guitar) and nothing to put them in.
View attachment 1025181 View attachment 1025183
Might be similar to the Grote 335-copy I got a while back on Amazon for a ridiculously low price. BEAUTIFUL finish, although it did need a thorough set up and fret level. Still, it scratches any itch I have for a 335, at a fraction of the cost. BTW, the stock pickups are surprisingly good.
1662430047345.jpeg

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Might be similar to the Grote 335-copy I got a while back on Amazon for a ridiculously low price. BEAUTIFUL finish, although it did need a thorough set up and fret level. Still, it scratches any itch I have for a 335, at a fraction of the cost. BTW, the stock pickups are surprisingly good.
View attachment 1025233
I wouldn't mind betting our guitars are factory cousins and the stock pickups are awesome.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
Congrats on not blowing a ton of money on a Gibson!

Yeah, I'll bet it comes from the same place the Grotes come from. I like that yours has dot inlays instead of the big blocks that are on the Grote. I have the Grote "Jazz Hollowbody" and the big block inlays seem garish.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
I bought a Chi-bson Byrdland a few years ago. A Gibson is around 10k, mine was 167.34. The week after I bought mine they changed it to the selling price instead of the cost and it went up to $380. I love pricing mistakes!!!!!! View attachment 1025281
That's an awesome looking guitar.
I ordered a Gold top lp59 from artist a few years ago and got one with split pots that the factory mistakenly installed. I'm not complaining. After that they all came with split pots and the price went up.

Last edited:

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

My friend has the Artist LP 60’s. It does have a really nice build quality to it and it’s pretty decent. Id have no problems using it out and gigging it as the playability is great out of the box and stock pickups are good.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I wouldn't mind betting our guitars are factory cousins and the stock pickups are awesome.
BTW.....the controls on yours and mine weren't that different originally.....I changed mine.
I don't like a selector switch right by the bridge, so I moved it. I also prefer a master volume and master tone for both pickups, so I rewired those. The two knobs closest to the bridge are my volume and tone. The other two knobs are just "hole fillers".....they don't have any function. ;)

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Congrats!

My friend has the Artist LP 60’s. It does have a really nice build quality to it and it’s pretty decent. Id have no problems using it out and gigging it as the playability is great out of the box and stock pickups are good.
I've got a lot of Artist guitars, 6 I think.
You just cannot beat the price and build quality and they have the most awesome customer service.

peteycaster

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I have the exact same guitar but I swapped out tuners, pickups (for some toneriders), bridge and tailpiece and socket. Oh also put in a bone nut. The neck on this is really nice (I did level a few here and there). Lovely guitar to play. I reckon you'll enjoy yours.

This guitar is one of my favourites. I gig with it and prefer it over my Epiphone dot. I particularly like the bound neck, just waiting for the white binding to "yellow" a bit.

The only negative would be be when played unplugged the tone isn't as warm as the Epi but this guitar is made to be plugged in right?

Most of the bits have been repurposed as they are still of a reasonable quality. Both pickups are in other guitars and as you mentioned sound good.

One other slight mod was I de-glossed it a bit to get a more of a satin finish. Gotta antique it;)

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got a lot of Artist guitars, 6 I think.
You just cannot beat the price and build quality and they have the most awesome customer service.

I actually want one myself as well. Ive never had a Les Paul, so it kinda makes sense to get one at a relatively affordable price but get more than decent guitar for the money.

I think these are made alongside the Harley Bentons as they both share similarities

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
I actually want one myself as well. Ive never had a Les Paul, so it kinda makes sense to get one at a relatively affordable price but get more than decent guitar for the money.

I think these are made alongside the Harley Bentons as they both share similarities
Luckily you live in Australia, check them out online, they have an excellent range at unbeatable prices. (No I don't work there and nobody is paying me to say these awesome things).:)
https://www.artistguitars.com.au/shop/guitars
And yes they're built in the same factory as Harley Benton.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
Luckily you live in Australia, check them out online, they have an excellent range at unbeatable prices. (No I don't work there and nobody is paying me to say these awesome things).:)
https://www.artistguitars.com.au/shop/guitars
And yes they're built in the same factory as Harley Benton.

Yeah! Ive had this in the cart for like months now.

I want it! Haha

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s got the correct “ears”! Unlike that grote and older epiphones like dots, nice!
I bought a Chi-bson Byrdland a few years ago. A Gibson is around 10k, mine was 167.34. The week after I bought mine they changed it to the selling price instead of the cost and it went up to $380. I love pricing mistakes!!!!!! View attachment 1025281
I can’t condone chib-son but man I want a byrdland like nothing else…..