NGD - ES-339 for a Gibson neophyte ( I don't know what I'm doing with this! )

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Wallaby, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's a happy day, it's a 2014 ES-339. Wish me luck!

I put the tip of my toe in the photo for you fetishists out there :)

ES_1.jpg

I am very, very far out of my element with this guitar, but I think I'll learn.

I left it unopened for about 5 hours today, I didn't want any problems with the finish, and there weren't. There is more relief than I like, the frets are too close together and the neck feels short, compared to my Telcaster above.

I don't find any flaws with it so far, nothing but honest wear and very little of that. I'll get it in a bright light soon and go over it. Very little fret wear.

The neck has some thickness to it, and the guitar is light and resonates like crazy, it's very alive-feeling. It is surprisingly compact, very comfortable so far.

I have a question about the neck pickup, is it supposed to tilt forward that much? I provided a photo of it, below.

ES_2.jpg

The sound - chunky, growly, sparkly, quite a good thump when I want! All the positions sound great, what I expect to hear but also SO different and in a good way.

The volume pots are basically off after 7 or 6 on the dial, I'll have to figure that out.

I'm going to leave it as-is and just get used to what it does for a while. I'm definitely in a honeymoon phase.

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had one and have been wondering if I made a ghastly mistake in letting it go. the 339 is a very interesting step between the 335 and the les paul. the way you've described the sound is what mine sounded like.

it's a great guitar for 70's rock. hope you love yours and keep it. it's purdy, too.

Greggorios and T-Bone like this.
  3. Wallaby

Hey, thanks Thunderbyrd.

Maybe it's the semi-hollow nature of it, but there is a looseness to the bottom-end that is very very nice. Not boomy or muddy exactly, kind of clear and throaty at the same time.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

I used to have an earlier custom shop one which looked very like yours but had a black case. From what I recall, your neck pick up is fine- but I wouldn't describe the volume pots as acting like yours. o_O

Really nice guitars, although I ended up selling mine and getting a 335 which I now prefer.

5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful !!! Big fan of Gibby semi-hollows ... Best of luck and much enjoyment !!!

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Wallaby

I honestly wonder if the neck pickup ring is just backwards.

Must....Google...

Intubator and reckless meanie like this.
  8. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

"I honestly wonder if the neck pickup ring is just backwards"

I think it is on correctly. I checked some old pics of my Epiphone ES-339 and Epiphone Dot ES-335, and the PU ring is the same, angling down towards the neck. Here is a picture of my Gibson ES-335, and it is also the same orientation.
    upload_2019-12-11_21-12-32.png

My recommendation would be to tilt the angle the actual pickup upwards a bit if it bothers the OP. Other than that, he should just follow his ears.

- Bob

Deathray likes this.
  9. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar. I had one and loved it. Only reason I sold was of course to afford more gear. Wish I still had it. Ended up getting a Midtown Custom later just to keep a semi in the herd but it was not the same. Ive been to the factory and seen them made too! If you ever go to Memphis its worth the price of admission.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

That's just the way the neck pickups are. I have no idea why. I've had two 335s and have a 339 now and they are all like that. I prefer the 339 to the 335 because it's smaller and a lot easier to play sitting down, which I have to do because of a back injury.

Telecaster88 and Hiker like this.
  11. Wallaby

Stratoman, I looked at the neck pickup, it has '57 classics.

12. RLM69

RLM69 TDPRI Member

I have a 2010CS and it came with the same type of p/u ring. I replaced both of them with flat rings and they worked fine. Sounds better also, more balance and easier to adjust p/u height. These are great guitars! Enjoy yours!

drneilmb likes this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I really like those. I have them in a LP as well. With the body differences they have distinct sound . But in either guitar they really are nice sounding pickups

14. Wallaby

Good to know about the neck pickup ring.

It's also a source of debate out there on the 'net. Some believe it's backwards, some believe it's correct, some believe it's correct and flip the ring.

I'm not sure what I believe.

I also am wondering if my bridge is on backwards. I thought the intonation adjustment screws heads were supposed to be towards the neck. Maybe I'm wrong.

The intonation on it right now is pretty good, I'm not going to bother with it right now.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  15. Wallaby

RL, what pickup rings did you use? Care to share a link?

16. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That is a sweet looking (and I’m sure sounding) Gibson! Nice choice. I just recently became a Gibson owner, myself. I still love my Fenders, but they are definitely apples and oranges. HNGD!

17. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Very nice. You just might like it.

18. RLM69

RLM69 TDPRI Member

I believe they are standard Gibson after market rings. Check with your local GC or other guitar store. If you can't find them, you can sand them down on a flat table by hand. I would really like to replace mine with cream colored rings to match the binding, but haven't yet. Fender has some witch hat control knobs in cream that are used on the Jazzmaster that I purchased for my Tele and I like the way look. I can also see the numbers easier. The Tele also has a mint pick guard. Looks cool. upload_2019-12-11_20-32-28.jpeg

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

My Gibson 3399 (339 with '59 neck) came with the neck pickup ring like yours is. I removed it, flipped it 180 degrees, and the pickup is now parallel with the strings.

DO NOT sand the ring flat. If you look at the top of the guitar surrounding the neck pickup you'll see the body surface dips appreciably where it meets the end of the neck. You want the thick side of the ring there against the neck. That makes the top of the pickup parallel with the strings.

There is nothing in Gibson's tech literature that states what the "correct" orientation of the intonation screw heads should be (pointing toward the pickup? Pointing toward the stop bar?). It will certainly work both ways.

However, I have a pic of vintage 1957 Gibson box for a replacement Tune-o-Matic bridge and the instructions state to place the bridge on the posts with the adjusting screws "towards the fingerboard."

If you think about this for a few seconds (and if you've ever adjusted the screws on a backward-facing bridge), you'll know the downward angle of the strings behind the bridge puts the strings in the way of the screwdriver.

Yes, the official model name is ES-3399:
    upload_2019-12-11_22-37-9.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  20. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Here's a pic of the TOM bridge instructions.

upload_2019-12-11_23-5-50.jpeg

bender66 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.