1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Epiphone Wilshire

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sloppychops, Apr 27, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I wanted to try a real one back in the 90's but I don't think I ever saw one in a store. I'm glad they're making them available, although I have no clue what they're like. LOL. I think they look cool and in theory tick a lot of my boxes.

Fretboard stain job looks great!!!!!

2. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

They don't balance well on a strap. That's one thing I found out after getting it. Plan now is to buy the heaviest chrome or brass control knobs I can find and replace the plastic control knobs that weigh virtually nothing.

FortyEight likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Perhaps move the strap button to the end of the upper horn, like a Strat?

4. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Yeah, I looked into this and decided against it for three reasons: 1) It disrupts the aesthetics of the guitar 2) The horns are really rounded and I think a strap peg placed on the upper horn would look bad, and 3) I read someone's online comment elsewhere that his Wilshire reissue (the one that came with the strap peg on the upper horn) did not balance well. So, ultimately, I decided against this approach.

I don't know that adding heavy control knobs is going to do much, but the placement of the knobs at the lower right bout is just right for adding weight. Since the guitar only weighs 6lbs 5 oz, adding heavier knobs is going to make it uncomfortably heavy.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

By "did not balance well" do you mean it has neck dive? You might search to find out how SG players solve a similar problem.

6. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Yes, neck dive. The only solution that seems to work is adding weight. Moving strap peg to upper horn doesn't fully address problem and looks awful. Repositioning lower strap peg only helps slightly. Both those involve drilling the body, which I'm trying to avoid. I've ordered brass control knobs by Gotoh. Will see if that extra weight at that low position on body helps.

7. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

IMG_1858.jpg

richey88 likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

There's always the Bigsby solution.

sloppychops likes this.
  9. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Looks like a great guitar and dying the fretboard make a world of difference.

I'd be tempted to put a Bigsby on it.

sloppychops likes this.
  10. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

You know, the thought of putting a Bigsby on it never occurred to me...probably because I don't like Bigsby trems. But wouldn't the Les Trem work with this guitar? Anyone know?

11. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Found an old thread on Les Trems on Wilshire.
    Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 5.15.55 AM.png WilshireLesTrem.jpg

12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

These look great. I like the look. Congratulations OP,

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Exactly what I want. Been tossing this and the Classic Vibe Esquire, but keep coming back to this.

14. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

If you like to play standing up a lot, be aware of the neck dive issue. I'll report back after I get the brass control knobs. I doubt the extra weight is going to make a huge difference, but am hoping it will help. Next step would be to look into a Les Trem, which would be a fantastic addition even if I wasn't concerned about adding weight to the body.

Earlier I said the extra weight of heavier control knobs "is going to make it uncomfortably heavy." That was a typo. Should have said "isn't going to make it uncomfortably heavy." The guitar only weighs 6 lbs 5 oz as is.

Honestly, if you already have a Tele or two, this is a much more interesting, vintage style guitar to add to the herd. The P90s sound great, and they're not noisy at all.

Believer likes this.
  15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Actually on a P90 binge the last couple years, I do have a Tele I haven’t broken out in a while (pretty much on the couch since Covid), this looks comfy to play sitting down), the latest Epi’s sound great (I have a newer SG).

16. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Beautiful guitar! I love that line.

Has anyone directly compared the reissues to the originals?

When I was about 16, I had an original one (a Wilshire I think) on loan from a friend's dad. It had a fantastic playing feel and sounded great (my trusty Harmony Rocket took a rest while I had possession of the Wilshire).

After about a year, the friend's dad asked for it back :( and I've always wanted another one. I can't afford an original, so am drawn to the reissues—hoping they're a close copy.

Edit: I just remembered the Epi I had on loan had chrome mini humbuckers—so, a Crestwood.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I would not realize this for many years,
    but a lefty buddy of mine ( playing together now since College in the late '70's) played an Epiphone bass ( right-handed, strung lefty- short-scale) that had the Wilshire/Crestwood body shape.
    Sunburst- sounded good to us!

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  18. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

Glad I found this thread ! I am going looking at one today (in Birmingham ) its got the Bat wing Headstock though and full size humbuckers :)
    Its a 2012 limited edition reissue and I have wanted one of these since I was a kid and used to look in the old "Rose Morris" musical instrument catalogues in the 60s ! The original 60s ones go for daft money !

Here it is !
    [​IMG]

19. widefault

widefault Tele-Meister

I just picked up the same thing a month or so back. Supposed to have been only 1000 in TV Silver.

[​IMG]

Starting in 1963 the Wilshire had the mini-humbuckers along with the new body shape. Crestwood had the oval inlays and the vibrato in addition to the mini-HBs.

I have one of the new Coronet reissues, some of the earlier 2nd body style reissues, and a 1967 Olympic which was basically a level below the Coronet with a Melody Maker pickup.

[​IMG]

I'll be honest, the new reissue is very good, but mine had fret issues and I'm not a big fan of the pickup. BUT for less than 1/4 the price of an original they're still well worth it, just try to play it first.

20. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Nice guitars! I'm wondering if you have neck dive on the ones that have the strap peg on the upper horn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.