1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Epiphone Wilshire

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sloppychops, Apr 27, 2021.

1. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

There was some interest here in the new Epiphone Wilshire, and since I just got one I'll give you my impressions.

First, this guitar has exceeded my expectations. I was preparing myself for a big letdown, and fortunately this didn't happen.

To clarify, this is the 2020 reissue of the double P90 pickup Wilshire and is made in China. Epiphone has also released the Coronet (single P90) and Crestwood (2 mini humbuckers and a trem).

The fit and finish is impeccable, save for some roughness on the edges of the pick guard. (More on this later.) I'm OCD level picky and haven't found any finish flaws on it. There is a slight bit of fret sprout, but nothing that's bothersome. It weighs just 6 lbs 5 oz per my Rappala fish scale.

The Indian Laurel fretboard feels fine, and looks ok, but I like a dark fretboard and am planning to either dye it or stain it to get it as close to black as possible.

Out of the box, it had too much relief in the neck and the action was way too low for me. Adjusted the truss rod and raised the action...all good. Also had to intonate 4 of the strings. Frets could use a light polish, but aren't bad at all as they are. After a couple hours of playing it, the strings stay in tune really well.

My biggest nit is that the pickups are slightly slanted towards the bridge. I've seen this on a lot of budget guitars and I'm sure there's a fix. If you know what it is, let me know. Also, the location of the strap peg on the body near the neck joint makes it feel as though the strap could slip off the peg. The guitar balances well enough when standing, but the neck feels farther away than with a Tele due to the neck joining the body at the highest fret.

Unplugged, it has to be one of the loudest electric guitars I've played. Plugged in it's P90 heaven! With a little overdrive it's glorious, with a nice variation between the neck, neck + bridge, and bridge positions. Tone and volume controls work great, no cutting out at "4" on the knob. It has CTS pots, so this is likely why.

The .10 strings it came with seem decent, but feel too light for the way I play. I'll be changing them to 10.5 or .11s as soon as they start to fade.

If you've got a jones for an affordable, double P90 guitar, like a vintage look, and can deal with the Chinese origin, put this one on your list. $449 + tax.

IMG_1829.jpg IMG_1824.jpg IMG_1835.jpg IMG_1834.jpg IMG_1825.jpg IMG_1823.jpg

Here you can see how crude the cut is on the edge of the pick guard:

IMG_1837.jpg

Here it is after a few minutes of sanding with some emory paper. Slight improvement. Will have to revisit this, though, to get it smoother.

IMG_1838.jpg

2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I'm feeling it. That's a badass rock machine.

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Crestwood on order, so I hope I'm as happy with mine.

crazydave911 and Flip G like this.
  4. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Looks nice! Congrats! I love my Epiphones!

leonard d rock and crazydave911 like this.
  5. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

I believe Steve Marriot favored one for a while, or was it a coronet?

Dan R likes this.
  7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I like that. Congrats!

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Cool looking guitar. Odd place for the toggle tho.

9. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Coronet.

crazydave911 and backporchmusic like this.
  10. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Love it. HNGD!

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

Congrats on a beauty for sure.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Regarding Chinese craftsmanship: I recently bought a Squier Paranormal Toronado crafted in China. Fit and finish is just great, a real bargain at $371, delivered. The laurel fretboard on mine is darker than yours, luck of the draw, and I like it quite a bit. Looks like it will stand up well to playing. Wish mine had your P-90's, however. Enjoy!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

I'm interested in the Coronet. What's the neck like on your Wilshire (thin, Medium C, chunky, etc.)?

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Nice. I haven’t seen one in black before, and I like.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Very cool guitar. I wouldn’t mind having a green one with a trem on it!

16. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

They call it a Medium C, and I think that's pretty accurate. Feels a bit thin around first three frets, then gradually gets a bit thicker. I like fat necks, and although this is far from being a fat neck it feels pretty comfortable to me. I do think the string spacing could be wider, though. I notice there's a lot of real estate on the outsides of both E strings.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

I want to blacken the fretboard. Have some Fiebing's black leather dye, but am tempted to try the Minwax stain pen.

Anyone use leather dye or stain on Indian Laurel? How'd it work out?

18. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Yeah, I hate buying Chinese stuff, but they are turning out amazing guitars at great prices.

My photos were taken in direct sunlight, and the fretboard looks much lighter in those pics than it does indoors. Anyway, I'm going to dye or stain the fretboard to get it as close to black as possible.

19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Try some lemon oil on the board? The last 2 new guitars I bought the board was really dry, my ‘20 (?) SG Classic was light but some Dunlop oil helped a lot. DAMN I gotta have one of these, CONGRATS on a killer looking axe!!

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Sorry double post alert...damn fine guitar! BTW, where did you get this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.