1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Epiphone LP Custom Pro - Peter Frampton Model

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by JRtele, Jul 13, 2020.

1. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Well, thanks to some good advice here (certainly better than that of my next door neighbour), I turned down a trade earlier this week for a Les Paul Black Beauty ‘57 Reissue.

After negotiations with my wife, we’ve agreed to get my dream guitar before my 40th birthday (8 years away). Until then I got approval to pick up something to scratch the itch.

Went to local store to see the new 2020 Epiphones and saw that this little guy had just come out of its week long, trade in quarantine:
    D4378A9A-CD7B-40EA-8723-BAA2D908E8B6.jpeg
    It’s a 2018 LP Custom Pro, Peter Frampton edition. Biggest thing when playing it that sold me was the custom “Phenix” Profile neck and actual ebony fingerboard. Pickups and electronics are meh and will be upgraded once I decide what to put in, but everything else is great, including 18:1 Grover tuners.

$50 Cdn more than the brand new guitars buys a much smoother feeling neck, hardshell case and the middle Pup. Unfortunately it has the “ugly” headstock and last owner did the Page wraparound deal, but should be fixable.

Also now I’ve got a few years to see how I feel about 3 Humbuckers vice 2 before commuting serious cash for an heirloom guitar.
    9A6D1216-5EE5-4F49-915C-2D59CAE74BDB.jpeg
    FF1F2A1F-EE57-464A-BCC4-8E15273358C3.jpeg
    image.jpg

2. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Also for everyone who said to never get rid of the custom shop tele, they look great alongside each other
    D8448550-A0E6-4B9B-90C0-FD1BE35D819A.jpeg

LPTyler likes this.
  3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Love the new peg head.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Is it wired like framptons with one of the knobs controlling the middle pickup volume, with one master tone?

The way his is wired is like a standard Les Paul but with a separate volume so you can add the middle to any combination, it would be cool if the epiphone does this

How would you describe the neck profile?

The only reason to me to top wrap is if you have the stop bar decked (for maximum sustain) and the strings hit the back of the bridge

5. 720guitars

720guitars TDPRI Member

That's really cool. I enjoyed that Rick Beato interview with Peter Frampton where he talks about how that guitar came to be...

RodeoTex and JRtele like this.
  6. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Correct, it is wired like his “original”. I haven’t looked at controls yet or begun wrapping my head around how I’ll re-wire it. Here what online says for Controls: Epiphone All-metal 3-way Pickup Selector, (Neck and Bridge pickup only. Middle pickup always on.), 1 - Volume (Bridge & Neck combined), 1 - Tone (Bridge & Neck combined), 1 - Volume (Middle pickup), 1 - Tone (Middle pickup)

The neck is slimmer than some of my Teles. When I was going to buy the normal custom Epiphone BB I had planned on Plek’ing it. Absolutely no need with this. It is significantly thinner than my 09 Gibson Standard, “60’s neck”.

Also correct with wrap. Previous owner had the bridge cranked up. I actually had it lowered in the store and dropped the pickups a bit. I’ve got a month to take it in for initial setup, after a few hours of playing I definitively want that middle PUP dropped low.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.