NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Special 1

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Lone Picker, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

I was looking for something cheap with P90's. I never played them and was curious if they were for me. I picked this up from CL for $100 still in the box, from a guy that wanted one with humbuckers instead. It seemed like they didn't finish putting it together at the factory. I had to tighten the neck bolts, the tuner screws, the pots were loose. After some tweeking it seems ok to use for a project. Could use some upgrades, but I like the P90 pickups. It's a cool little guitar. DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

2. Utah Joe

Utah Joe Tele-Meister

Nice. I’m also interested in adding a guitar with P90’s to the collection. I’m considering a Godin Core CT, although Gibson in coming out with a Gary Clark Jr. Signature SG in May.

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I recently got one of these when MF had them on sale for $119. I love it. DSCN0654.JPG

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Every one of these needs some fine tuning and a setup, but they're a tremendous bang for the buck. Dial in a good tone on your amp and you'll love it.

I had a nice one that I traded. The pickups were wax potted and Epiphone said they're AlNiCo mags, although they don't specify what type. To me they sound as good as anything below boutique level. Despite factory specs, mine had a soft V neck from nut to heel. I've never seen a Gibsonish neck like that.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

These Epi Specials are a huge value. Often they need fret leveling and/or deep setup, and pots upgrade is nice but they can be surprising players. I'd get a P90 Special except I have two other P90s and I'll not get an SL because I have a couple Specials around...
    This is my humbucker version that gets played a lot more than others in the fleet. Handy, light, plays well, sounds good.

EpiLPJr_170114.jpg

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

any model-specific advice to fixing the tuning stability? i'm guess it's the cheap nut that's the biggest culprit.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I got one a year and a half ago when they were still under $100. I got the sorta-tv yellow. Sounds great for a cheap guitar. P90s do what they should. But it plays like a toy. I’ve had to adjust the neck several times to get it acceptable. There’s a hump or a dead fret somewhere, so the high E is pretty useless. It’s ok for playing rhythm and recording. It’s not worth paying to get worked on, or buying tools that cost more than the guitar to do it myself. It’s pretty much disposable. No big whoop.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Mine stays in tune better than my old Gibson LP studio did. Which isn’t saying much. Cheaply cut nuts, so the G is usually the weak link for me. Play 10s or less, and string ‘em properly, and it’s passable. No big complaints there for me. The setup and neck issues are far more concerning to me than tuning.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

With my LP Jr it was just a matter of getting the nut right and using "loop and lock" stringing. I had considered changing the nut but once I got the stock one filed, it was fine. The filing was minor, just a few tweaks on the B,G and D to prevent binding.

Mine did need some fret leveling around the 15th fret to get it into shape.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I love the woodgrain showing through the TV Yellow. Nice.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats. I also desire a P-90 guitar and this model in the same TV yellow keeps calling me. Enjoy.

12. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I had to have one of those too, even the TV yellow. I love those P90's even though some say they don't sound like real P90's, they sound mighty good to me. I installed Gotch Classic Keystone tuners and smaller diameter top had type knobs because the smaller diameter helps do volume swells better than the larger diameter speed knobs. You got at good un! Jam On---Platefire

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

These punch WAY above their weight.
    I love mine and have gigged it all night.
    I bring it for a backup and sometimes play a set with it just because I want to.
    It's one of my favorite guitars ever.
    I REALLY like it with a pick guard.
    specia 001.JPG

Lashdog and Zepfan like this.
  14. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Wow! You've got the same knobs I put on mine. Did you build that pick guard for it or was you able to buy one to fit?

15. charlie chitlin

Right...I had those around.
    I think I took them off a Firebird that needed gold reflectors.
    I made the pick guard from an old Tele one with buggered holes.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      119.6 KB
      Views:
    Lashdog and Zepfan like this.
  16. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Nice score! I had one of the HB equipped Special-IIs years ago. Great guitar for the money. Hope you enjoy yours.

17. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

I want your pickguard. Looks great!!

18. charlie chitlin

I'll trace it for you, if you like.
    A coping saw, a file and some sandpaper...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.