NGD - Epiphone buzzsaw!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Sinner1980, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Hi All,

After having a Jackson Dominion for a very short, record-breaking time (48 hours) I traded her against an Epiphone les paul buzzsaw.

My first impression of this Zakk Wylde signature model is absolutely amazing. The build quality and playability far exceed my expectations...

I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to brands and countries of manufacture. If it’s not high-end and made in US or Japan I’m not interested. Untill now that is...

I’ve always wanted a les paul custom but never had the funds nor priority of getting one. Also, I’ve had Gibson les pauls before. Ranging from Standards to Classics, they were good but never really grew on me, hence I sold them eventually.

Having a great tele and strat, a les paul would in my opnion be the ultimate addition but again at this time no funds nor means to get a les paul custom. I was offered the buzzsaw as a trade for the Jackson so I went for it.

I know the graphic is not for everyone and it totally screams fanboy. Although I do admire Zakk, the specs of this particular model were my main reason of interest. Again, I’m very impressed with this guitar and after a few hours only I already decided to pull the trigger on an awesome upgrade I stumbled upon.

The guitar:

1E0B5370-37BD-4CB7-A5FE-36DB44FB927E.jpeg

The upgrade:

BD0B1305-293F-4E20-B0EC-BCE696AA35D6.jpeg
    A highly limited black chrome ZW EMG set I came across on ebay. Same design and limited to 100 sets worldwide. Going to look absolutely amazing!

The les paul was made in Korea in 2006. Supposedly this particular finish is the rarest and the Korean models are of better quality than the later Chinese ones.

Happy camper here! Pinch harmonics fly of the board and the maple neck is absolutely amazing.

Bones, drf64, Zepfan and 3 others like this.
  2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I prolly would buy a guitar with that finish, but I have to admit, I kind of like looking at it. There’s something oddly compelling about it.

Perhaps I am being hypnotized!

The pickup upgrade is kind of crazy. In a good way....

3. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

The finish is crazy and I’m very much a traditionalist when it comes to guitars so definitely outside of my comfort zone.

The pickups just add to the crazyness but a ZW signature needs active emg’s so I thought I might as well.

I like this guitar way more than I expected and I might just even pick up one with the bullseye finish as well if I run into one(one in E standard, one in D).

ac15 likes this.
  4. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Don't they come stock w active EMG's?

5. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Only the later runs, which were made in China. This one’s still from the old factory in Korea and comes stock with EMG passives. They still sound allright though but I think actives will be the way to go with this guitar.

Especially when they look like these:

27FA4BFE-CB38-44C7-983E-8BDC419977D6.png

Zepfan likes this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the design and the new pickups ... But to me, playability and sound far outweigh appearance when I choose a guitar ...

7. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Same goes for me. EMGs will sound like EMGs though, which is the sound I choose for this particular guitar. Happens to play very nice and smooth too so I guess I got lucky.

However, I wouldn’t have gone for this guitar if it was sh*t so definitely not a ‘looks only’ purchase. I’ve come across some great guitars and some absolute dogs in the last 20 years and I know what I’m doing.

Do get that getting a sig model like this can make people think that it would be based on looks only. I love maple necks and les pauls with set maple necks are not a common thing unfortunately. Specs > looks in this case.

Chanan likes this.
  8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I'm pretty impressed with their 57/66 set, and have thought about putting them in my Explorer. I had an ESP LTD with the standard metal set 81/85 and wasn't super blown away by them. I think ESP makes great stuff, wish I had the scratch to throw down on one of their top end guitars. Have fun!

9. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

I’ve had 4 high-end ESP guitars and although they were of great quality, they lack ‘mojo’ and I sold them all. I’m not a fan of the neck profile and the jumbo frets either.

Fenders and Gibsons feel ‘right’ for me, can’t really explain why but that’s how it is. I even prefer this Epiphone over the ESP’s as weird as that may sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.