1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Epiphone '56 Les Paul Pro Goldtop

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by nicknklv, Jun 24, 2020.

1. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

I ran across this stunning Epi '56 Goldtop for $350 when I checked Facebook at the gym last Wednesday. After all the glowing reviews I'd read about the model, I was very intersted in checking it out. I reached out to the guy, drove out and tried it the same evening, and ended up bringing it home.

It's dated August 2016 (MIC), and this guy was the second owner, with the first one switching the stock knobs to the ones today. The seller convinced me those knobs were the original '50s GT knobs, though as far as I know, they used to use the gold top hat knobs (can I get a fact check on this one?). I may switch them at some point to period correct ones, but let's see. The first owner also put the stop markers in, which is appreciated.

Very few traces of wear, a couple belt rashes on the back and a chip or two in the binding. It feels like it hasn't been played a lot. The rosewood neck was a bit dry when I got it, but the lemon oil took care of that. I switched it to 11's as soon as I got it and it's been singing ever since. I really like the pickups, I'd been longing after P90's for a while now, and these are really great! I also had the chance to try a Gibson '52 Goldtop Tribute not so long ago, and the ones in the Epi hold their own very well. It's a nice 3.9kg/ 8.6 lbs, and as far as I know, that's pretty good for an LP.

With this one, I've covered Tele, Strat, semi-hollow HB, and now P90 territory, i.e. more than I will ever need. Which means 100% playing and 0% looking at gear from now on! What a privilege to get to play fine instruments like this, feeling truly grateful.

Enjoy the pics! :)

Attached Files:

2. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I had one of these, I let it go and I still don't know why! Loved the big neck on it, and I swear that neck 90 sound was one of the best I'd heard.
    Congratulation, great guitars...I will look out for another one day

nicknklv likes this.
  3. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

Very classy looking Epi.
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nicknklv likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

nicknklv likes this.
  5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Nice guitar.

You're allowed to go to a gym? :(

drf64 and nicknklv like this.
  6. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

The neck is amazing! Nice and chunky, but also very comfortable to play thumb over, which surprised me. I'm used to Fender Soft V's. Hope you re-discover one!

Yeah, life in Sweden. I don't think they ever closed the gyms. People are always very respectful there though, with maintaining a distance and so on.

RoyBGood likes this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice!! Congratulations.

nicknklv likes this.
  8. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I have one of those 56 goldtops but in black. (I call it "Texas Tea.") Those knobs don't look like the original knobs, which one mine were the "hat" style.

[​IMG]

nicknklv likes this.
  9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Congrats!

i love Goldtops and P90s! And dont change those knobs! Relfector knobs are awesome!!!

nicknklv likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Beautiful guitar!

I had a very similar Agile '56 Gold Top LP style, and ( as a previous owner of other Epis) often wondered if were made in the same factory? " Today we're making Agiles!" - but really have no idea.

Glad the P-90's sound good too, you can play everything with this guitar!

nicknklv likes this.
  11. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Super nice gold top. Congrats. LP and P90s are two bases I haven’t covered yet. Someday.

nicknklv likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.