NGD Epiphone 50th anniversary "1962" Sorrento

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by greebo830, Jun 26, 2019.

1. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

Hi guys & girls,

So as you know last year I picked up one of the limited edition “1962” 50th anniversary Sheraton models and instantly fell in love, this got me gassing for more [​IMG]. On the monday the Pawnshop where I get most of my serious bargains sent me a picture of a “1962” 5th anni Sorrento that they wanted £275 for and though the picture wasn't brilliant it looked in great shape so I went and had a look at it – when I got there and they opened the case it was thick with dust but looked to be it perfect working order and so she was mine. She was setup by my tech yesterday. When I went to pick her up my tech was beside himself (he hates when I get killer deals) he switched off all the workroom lights and started to shine a torch slowly all over the guitar, there is not a single mark on her, no pick scratches no felt marks on the back or neck. He said it even had the original faded plastic covers on the pickups and that the nut was cut stupidly high. Neither of us could find a sign of her ever being played – She is spotless, I think the original owner must of just hung her on the wall.
    [​IMG]

The Royal Olive might not be for everyone, but I actually find it attractive. First impression was that this guitar is comfortable to play and had a good weight balance (it's a light instrument). The neck feels slightly thicker than the one on the “1962” Sheraton. I find I play completely different on it, I see that as a good thing, inviting to different playing styles. The Tuners hold the tunings really well – played this thing for three straight hours and only had to slightly tweak the tuning and thats with new strings. The Pickups are fantastic, they sound even better then the ones in the Sheraton – actually made me pull the Sherrys pickups just to check they were the correct ones. Everything is there for the asking from almost acoustic sounds through Teles, Strats and of course full blown humbuckers. I used to own a Loar 301T (basicaly the non cutaway version of this guitar) and thought that was an ideal allrounder this thing blows it away

Bassman8, gitold, JL_LI and 6 others like this.
  2. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

I love mine. Plus, the grain on the back looks like the middle finger in the famous picture of Johnny Cash

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

That's a cool guitar and a very cool story to go with it.

If your picture is correct on my display, it doesn't resemble Royal Olive. I don't see any green in the burst. Perhaps the picture rendering is off, or the green has faded. In any case, it looks fab.

My requirements are a little differnt and a Korean-made Sorrento with P-90s is on my radar.

4. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Bugger! A mate of mine just left Stockport (his hometown) a few hours ago.......he could have got that for me. :cry:
    But seriously, I do think you've done well there. Its a beauty!
    Another friend here has one just like it and I would love to get one for myself. And I love mini 'buckers.
    Well done.:D

5. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Bloody Poms buying up all the good guitars :p

I am seriously jealous - its a great looking guitar at stupidly great price.

Well done!!

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Loved those, and definitely in Royal Olive.

I have often thought about tracking one down as a backup/alternate to my old Guild T-100D.

Congrats.

8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Always loved those Sorrento's, they don't match the music I play unfortunately but they are lovely indeed.

9. gtrplr

gtrplr Tele-Meister

These guitars are seriously cool. Had a few come across my bench, usually for something very minor like a bad tone control. Can’t resist playing a few licks on one. They don’t fit my music but I really like ‘em.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.