NGD - Epi LP '56 Gold Top

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by castpolymer, Jun 13, 2011.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I finally ended my P-90 search on Friday. Picked this up from GC used for $ 450.00 out the door. Not a great deal, but fair. Played it unplugged for 20 minutes before I even bothered with an amp. You guys know the feeling when you hit an " A " chord and the entire guitar vibrates from the neck to the strap button? This one does this even better than my ash '52 Hot Rod. Fit and finish on this guitar were better than the two Gibson's I tried out ( both LP's with P-90's ). Better fit and finish than my SG standard. Not a finish flaw on it, straight neck and even intonated correctly by the previous owner. Pretty sad when a guitar that sells for 1/2 of a Gibson entry level has better fit and finish ( I am not going to get into hardware,wiring, etc ). The pickups, IMHO, are perfect. Just the right combination of clean with a fatter bottom end than a Tele single coil. The neck is fat ( just about the same as my SG standard ) and really helps with hand fatigue ( I have been holding power tools for 20 years and this is pretty important for me ). The only work I did on it was a string change and lowered the action a bit for my tastes. Weighs in at a very managable 7.5 pounds. Worth every penny I paid for it. My only regret is that I did not have a SG Classic to try out. Oh well, there is always Christmas. ;) This LP has the " Slim Whitman " ( cat in the pic ) seal of approval.

( I had more pictures, but apparantly my memory card may be on it's last leg ).

Attached Files:

2. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

Nice Epi, had one like that years ago for a few weeks. Never bonded with it... ended up trading it for a Epi LP Std Flametop. Of course, ended up selling that one to buy a AM Strat Deluxe... and so on.

Kinda wish I'd have kept the '56.

3. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Good choice. I've sung the praises for mine many times on here; these are a steal for the price and they don't need a damned thing. Epi hit the mark with this model.

Attached Files:

4. castpolymer

Your glowing endorsement convinced me to give it a shot instead of just going straight to ebay for a 50's Tribute. Thanks again.

5. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

They are some good looking guitars.

6. Spexicola

Spexicola TDPRI Member

I played one of these about 10 years ago and have been in love with P90s ever since. Beautiful guitar man. Play it often.

7. Bluessoldier

Bluessoldier Tele-Meister

How is the top curve on these? Pronounced or flattish like 70s les pauls?

8. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

I real want one of these. I think they have a 12" radius, right? I wonder how it feels from going from 7.5 to 12?

9. castpolymer

I would say it is pronounced, but I have little experiences with LP's in general.

10. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

That's an awesome looking guitar; those definitely interest me.

11. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Very nice,been needing one myself.Enjoy!

12. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Some Les Paul`s have sharper, thinner cutaway and top curve is a little pointed ending slightly off from 90 degree angle at neck. Those would be non-70`s models. So i guess Epiphone Les Paul`s are like 70`s ones in this respect. I have both Epi LP Standard and Gibson LP Junior 1958, they are slightly different at front top curve of the body and at cutaway horn:idea::?:

13. electricbody

electricbody Tele-Afflicted

Looks like the cat approves of the new guitar.

14. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! I've been playing mine all week, I love the beefy single coil sound and the Les Paul body/neck. I've said this before: I thought I would change the electronics and pickups when I first bought mine but so far I have found no need to. Well done, and I hope you enjoy yours!

15. Malikon

Malikon Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar, congrats. That's the one LP I still would like to get.

16. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

That's one beautiful guitar. I like the way it combines two features I'm looking for, the P-90s and the gold top. I hope to have one myself if my jr lust doesn't get the best of me.

I regret selling my Van Halen 2 vinyl all those years ago. Have fun with it.

17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Don't pay any attention to what guitars cats snuggle up to. They can't be trusted in any matters "musically" concerned.
    I really love my Gold Top, and hate cats.
    Don

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'll say it again...my '56 GT is as nice as any guitar I've ever played.
    I am totally shocked by this instrument.
    All I did was a quickie 50's wiring mod to retain treble when rolling off the volume.
    A $250 guitar through a $300 amp (Delta Blues) is getting me tones that sometimes make me think to myself, "Dear God...is that ME??"
    Running both pickups with the bridge rolled off a bit, and I'm getting some of the biggest, honkin' Blues tones anywhere.
    I recently had a conversation in a studio that sounded something like this:
    -I thought you were going for a sort of BB tone.
    -I am!
    -Then why did you bring THAT thing?
    -Listen (twiddle a few knobs and play a few licks).
    -Alright...you win...let's put it down.

19. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Nice! I'm glad you're happy with it. My next guitar will probably be one of the Epi goldtops, thanks for the review.

20. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

Nice one! I bought a LP copy a few months ago with P90s - and i think i like it more than my old trusty tele's... The sound!!!
    Its so clean and sustains beautifully, but has the balls a tele seems to lack!
    You can just tell that thing will sound nice by lookin at her!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.