NGD: El Becko

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Vanzant, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I wanted a new strat with a stable trem system and noiseless pickups, so I went with El Becko's model. I was skeptical about the "thinner c" profile, but it is absolutely perfect for me. Really nice player, pickups sound fantastic. Sweetwater sent me the photos from the professional photo shoot to share, so hear it is...cheers! XN10868-angle-xlarge.jpg XN10868-backbody-xlarge.jpg XN10868-front-xlarge.jpg XN10868-back-xlarge.jpg XN10868-detail2-xlarge.jpg XN10868-detail1-xlarge.jpg XN10868-body-xlarge.jpg XN10868-serial-xlarge.jpg !

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!
    I had one of the old purple ones.

3. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Nice! I love the real, unyellowed Olympic white. It kind of has a blue/green tint to it.

richiek65 likes this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Cool !

5. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Now that’s a beautiful Strat. Have fun!

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Slick looking strat, congrats.

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice one. I believe that reference to "thinner C" only means thinner when compared to the original Lace Sensor Beck Signatures that did have quite fat necks.

8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Terrific in every way. That's one of my favorite models. What Beck does with that, and his fingers, is beyond belief. Enjoy it!

9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

What model is that?

10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I'm not convinced that Jeff actually plays that guitar. All the videos that I can find on YouTube show the guitars that he's playing have the Wilkinson roller nut, not the LSR one. And, in all the most recent videos from 2018, the guitar that he's playing has a reverse headstock. Also, the latest rig rundown discussion that I can find (from 2014) says he uses Suhr pickups, not Fender noiseless ones.

11. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

A local guitar shop had one of the early Jeff Beck models, I believe, with the thicker neck. I played it once, and really liked it. It was a midnight purple one. ANd it was there for something like 18 months, maybe two years. They wanted 800 bucks for it, and for some stupid reason, I couldn't get my act together to come up with the cash to buy the guitar. If I remember correctly, the owner of the store told me it had all the paper work and everything goes along with those guitars. As they say in Germany, GOTVERDAMMTER!!!!!

Now I'm depressed about all the cool guitars I could have bought if I hadn't been spending so much damn money on records, CD's and other stupid things I spent too much money on (you should see my tour program collection). Spending money is just as addictive as any drug. And when you don't have a lot of money to spend, but you're still addicted to spend, you spend money on little things you don't really need.

And before you say spending money on music isn't stupid, it is when you spend virtually your entire paycheck, every paycheck, on music. I'd go to record stores and spend every dime I had on LP's and CD's. One time, at a record store, I dropped a hundred bucks. The guy had to give me a box to take the records home. Other times, I'd have to run around the corner to an ATM to get money, because there were a half a dozen things I couldn't put back. I'm talkign about spending $50-60 in one go, because I had to have all the Dire Straits, Deep Purple, and Byrds reissues right now!!!!

And I'd buy these things, and a lot of them, I'd play once, and that'd be it. I've got lots of records, I have no idea what they sound like, except in general terms, because I played them once 25 years ago. Same thing with the DVD's.

Hell, I don't even have a decent guitar amp. I'm still playing through a crappy Crate practice amp my dad bought me when I was 18. And the thing's starting to crap out on me, making weird buzzing noises and the volume controls don't always work right. Pathetic!
    :(:cry:

12. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I remember when the Jeff Beck model first came out in the early 90's, you virtually never saw him playing. He had what I think was one of the prototypes for the Jeff Beck model (which I think was also sort of the prototype for the Strat Plus model), which had been signed by Little Richard. And that was the guitar you usually saw him playing in the 90's. You could tell it wasn't a production Beck model, because the actual production model had a humbucker by the bridge (actually, I believe it was two Lace Sensor single coils wired together), whereas the prototype had a traditional Strat pickup configuration (albeit with Lace Sensors).

But that happened with a lot of those "signature" guitars. Neal Schon, Allan Holdsworth, Ace Frehley, and Rick Derringer all had signature models back in the 80's, but it seemed like it wasn't long before you saw them playing other guitars.

13. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

Also the body is basswood...im not denying that his signature and custom shop guitars aren't great. I just wish that his model had the right lsr, pickups, and wood selection.

DougM likes this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Where is his stubby trem...lol

15. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I've read all the forum notes on how this isn't the guitar Jeff Beck plays, etcetera, etcetera... I could care less if he plays it or not.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Nice ..Enjoy !!

17. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

this guitar is alder not basswood

18. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I'm talking about Jeff's real guitar.@3:05 basswood

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Vanzant likes this.
  19. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Just like Jeff's Own Guitar

You might think that a famous guitarist like Jeff Beck would pick some amazingly figured maple and ash, but in truth, Jeff prefers to stay with a fairly basic Strat design. Once you play it, you'll see why he never really asked for anything more (though Fender did build him a custom "one-off" with a special paint job that honors Jeff's love of hot rods). You start with a lightweight alder body with a Surf Green polyurethane finish and three-ply white pickguard and three hot, dual-coil ceramic Noiseless pickups. If you've heard Jeff play, you know he really works the tremolo unit hard, so this Artist Series instrument comes with a modern American two-point synchronized tremolo for outstanding tuning stability. Bend notes or entire chords up or down and the guitar stays in tune!

he Jeff Beck model[2] features an alder body finished in polyurethane or "Thinskin" nitrocellulose lacquer, a thinner C-shape maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, 22 medium-jumbo frets, LSR Roller Nut, Schaller locking machine heads (Sperzel TrimLok staggered on the Custom Artist version), an American two-point synchronized vibrato and a contoured heel for easier access to the higher registers. For electronics, this guitar sports a trio of dual-coil Ceramic Hot Noiseless pickups and five-way pickup switching. Other refinements include aged plastic parts, three-ply parchment pickguard and chrome hardware.

Guitars produced before 2001 were based on the Plus Series models of 1987, featuring a deep 1950s U-shape maple neck, three-ply white pickguard, Gold Lace Sensor pickups in a humbucking/single-coil/single-coil configuration (two Lace Sensor single-coils in the neck and middle positions and a humbucking Lace Sensor Dually in the bridge), a TBX tone circuit affecting the middle and bridge pickups and a mini coil-split push-push button for the bridge-position humbucking pickup. These early 1990s Jeff Beck Stratocasters were finished in Surf Green, Vintage White, and Midnight Purple.

Various models of the same guitar with the numerous changes over the years.

Vanzant likes this.
  20. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I have a strat plus from either 89 or 90 with the lace sensors and locking tuners, which is why I chose the beck strat....the strat plus needs a fret job and set up though, a lot of miles put on it over the years.

1D4806E5-2F8D-4854-89FB-4E052783D845.jpeg F1550644-E311-473C-9E41-2322B72AA599.jpeg 7D6C9995-51A5-452F-9F00-24893023233B.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.