NGD!!! Eastwood CDR (Coodercaster-ish)

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
On the Strat forum I posted about the Vintera Road Worn Strat I got two days ago, but the CDR arrived today.

I have to say the CDR is a pretty remarkable instrument. It has a pretty large personality of its own, more so than any guitar I have played.

Notes:

1. Doesn't say Eastwood on the guitar!
2. This is my third Eastwood, and I am impressed. They are easily MIM equivalent.
3. Surprisingly narrow fretboard. Reminds me of an Affinity but much better fretwork.
4. Also a very slender and light body.
5. The paint seems surprisingly like my Vintera Road Worn. I doubt it's nitro, but, dang, it seems like it.
6. The Supro lap steel pickup is game changing on a couple of levels.
---It sounds amazing. Bright and fat at the same time, but takes tone knob adjustments brilliantly.
---I can't mute the strings at all with my right hand. My left hand muting is solid, but it's still a bit weird to play.
7. The gold foil neck PU is weird but exactly what I expected. Dark, low output, funky. The middle position with both PUs is very sweet.
8. I have not cracked it open, but I suspect the tone knob is wired 50s style, which I have never experienced. However it is wired, first, the tone knob is usable thru almost its entire range, second, the tone knob has essentially no effect if you roll the volume down to <9. I can roll the tone all the way down and use the volume knob almost like a wah pedal. Very cool.
9. It is likely the weirdest guitar to ever grace my hands. The combination of the skinny neck and covered pickup somehow make it feel remarkably foreign. It feels like a guitar-like instrument. It's really weird, but so far I love it.

Mine has 11s on it, but I'll swap them out soon.

eastwood CDR.jpg

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
Now that is an awesome looking guitar! I haven't played an Eastwood. For a minute I thought it was an Eastman.

Will be curious your opinion of it.

Last edited:

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
On the Strat forum I posted about the Vintera Road Worn Strat I got two days ago, but the CDR arrived today.

I have to say the CDR is a pretty remarkable instrument. It has a pretty large personality of its own, more so than any guitar I have played.

Notes:

2. This is my third Eastwood, and I am impressed. They are easily MIM equivalent.
3. Surprisingly narrow fretboard. Reminds me of an Affinity but much better fretwork.
5. The paint seems surprisingly like my Vintera Road Worn. I doubt it's nitro, but, dang, it seems like it.
---It sounds amazing. Bright and fat at the same time, but takes tone knob adjustments brilliantly.
---I can't mute the strings at all with my right hand. My left hand muting is solid, but it's still a bit weird to play.
7. The gold foil neck PU is weird but exactly what I expected. Dark, low output, funky. The middle position with both PUs is very sweet.
8. I have not cracked it open, but I suspect the tone knob is wired 50s style, which I have never experienced. However it is wired, first, the tone knob is usable thru almost its entire range, second, the tone knob has essentially no effect if you roll the volume down to <9. I can roll the tone all the way down and use the volume knob almost like a wah pedal. Very cool.
9. It is likely the weirdest guitar to ever grace my hands. The combination of the skinny neck and covered pickup somehow make it feel remarkably foreign. It feels like a guitar-like instrument. It's really weird, but so far I love it.

View attachment 1013008
OH Yeah! The it is , mmmmmm I'd take some of that. They did it again.
They Make some guitars that I like to have.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Will be curious your opinion of it.

OH Yeah! The it is , mmmmmm I'd take some of that. They did it again.
They Make some guitars that I like to have.

I only have three of their more expensive models, but Eastwood makes very solid guitars for the money. Let me put it this way - I'm more comfortable buying a nicer Eastwood than a MIM Fender.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted

Notes:

View attachment 1013008
Nice looking!

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I only have three of their more expensive models, but Eastwood makes very solid guitars for the money. Let me put it this way - I'm more comfortable buying a nicer Eastwood than a MIM Fender.
Your have a right to make those decisions regarding your comfort, they are beyond question.
My two MIM strats were made in Ensenada production facility, trained by Japanese employees of Fender Japan. Is Japanese a common second language in Mexica?
Is Spanish a common second language in Japan?
The folks at the Ensenada production facility, sure made a nice piece, both of them have aged well and had no problems over the last 12 years.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Your have a right to make those decisions regarding your comfort, they are beyond question.
My two MIM strats were made in Ensenada production facility, trained by Japanese employees of Fender Japan. Is Japanese a common second language in Mexica?
Is Spanish a common second language in Japan?
The folks at the Ensenada production facility, sure made a nice piece, both of them have aged well and had no problems over the last 12 years.

To be clear, I love MIM Fenders. My favorite guitar that I own (and I own much more expensive guitars) has a MIM neck. But my MIM Vintera is problematic, and I have seen others that were less than ideal. Based on my small sample size of three, I trust Eastwood more.

But I really don't want this to turn into a anti-MIM thread so I'm very comfortable saying they are comparable. Like I said, the neck that best fits my hands is a MIM, and I love it unreservedly.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Very interesting guitar @drmordo ! I’ve looked at those in the emails that Eastwood send me all the time… I was a bit concerned about losing the ability to hand mute I must say.
You didn’t mention the scale length, which is another unusual feature — it’s a very short 23” (hence the 11s, I think).
Hope you enjoy it!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Very interesting guitar @drmordo ! I’ve looked at those in the emails that Eastwood send me all the time… I was a bit concerned about losing the ability to hand mute I must say.
You didn’t mention the scale length, which is another unusual feature — it’s a very short 23” (hence the 11s, I think).
Hope you enjoy it!

I knew it was a shorter scale but had not looked it up. The 11s make it play so weird it's hard to get my head around the scale. Once I get 9s on it I'm sure it will be much more obvious.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Love the Supro pickup. I never used one, that wasn't mounted to the big steel control plate. I know some Tele players insist, that 'the sound' requires an ashtray bridge and Supro players can be similarly insistent. I'd love to A/B the modern pickup- with and without.

7845660_4a96c77f0a515612cae63e0324912bed_t.jpg

This is my '59. :cool:
IMG_20190830_152515989.jpg

IMG_20220621_154110648.jpg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Love the Supro pickup. I never used one, that wasn't mounted to the big steel control plate. I know some Tele players insist, that 'the sound' requires an ashtray bridge and Supro players can be similarly insistent. I'd love to A/B the modern pickup- with and without.

View attachment 1013947
This is my '59. :cool:
View attachment 1013948
View attachment 1013950

Lovely lap steel!

I have a Supro with that PU, but they are such different applications its very difficult for me to compare them. I have other lap steels that sound amazing, and now I constantly wonder how those weird PUs would sound in a standard electric guitar.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
So ... was it designed by Clint himself as the Dirty Harry guitar?
"This here is the most powerful electric geetar pickup ever made -it'll blow yer head clean off.
Feel lucky punk? Well do ya?"

mretrain99

TDPRI Member
I knew it was a shorter scale but had not looked it up. The 11s make it play so weird it's hard to get my head around the scale. Once I get 9s on it I'm sure it will be much more obvious.
Eastwood Warren Ellis CDR has a 25.5” scale length.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member

Notes:

View attachment 1013008
Now that we are a good month in, I wonder if you have any updates.
I did receive my long-ago ordered item from Eastwood, and I'm somewhat now considering one of these

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Eastwood Warren Ellis CDR has a 25.5” scale length.

Well, it certainly feels shorter. Everything about the guitar feels small from the narrow fretboard to tiny body. It almost feels like playing my Strat Mini.

Now that we are a good month in, I wonder if you have any updates.
I did receive my long-ago ordered item from Eastwood, and I'm somewhat now considering one of these

I have been travelling for work so haven't played it much more. It's a well made guitar that sounds good in the bridge and middle positions. The neck is a bit muddy and weak, though still usable. I suspect it could be amazing if you find just the right amp to pair it with. The big thing I would say is if you use right hand muting much, it will be difficult to get used to.