NGD Duo Sonic

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Yesterday I picked up a Duo Sonic. It was the last guitar I played and I didnt expect to like it.

Its a used Squier and its not perfect. I had to knock down a few frets in a few spots to help the 6th string not rattle. I didnt get rid of it 100 % yet, but I like my action pretty low.

Im sort of surprised by how good it sounds. it feels a bit like playing a toy or ukele. but the sound is big and full. I thought it would be ear piercing high end. but its actually pretty warm. it had some nice highs in neck and bridge pups. together theyre a bit more subdued.

this might be a keeper. its not overly fun to play above the 12th fret. but a barred e major on the 12th fret still works.

i also got a jhs morning glory that im LOVING. all my guitars sound more alive I think.

Any other Duo Sonic owners here. If so any tips? interesting notable info? anybody well known play one?

Attachments

• 3790C343-4D51-482F-A323-EEC3D037F45B.jpeg
    3790C343-4D51-482F-A323-EEC3D037F45B.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 110
  • EC32D6DE-84C6-4BE3-A919-66C634B01964.jpeg
    EC32D6DE-84C6-4BE3-A919-66C634B01964.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 09A5FD09-CEA8-4C7C-AA6C-206839F24926.jpeg
    09A5FD09-CEA8-4C7C-AA6C-206839F24926.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 5D527843-6140-4D8F-AC7C-B3418FDABBCF.jpeg
    5D527843-6140-4D8F-AC7C-B3418FDABBCF.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 109

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Here's my 1993 MIM Duo Sonic. I got it in the early 00's by trading a DOD Mystic Blues and Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus for it. The previous owner was a teenager with Nirvana angst. He had broken the pickguard and the original pickups and scribbled all over the pickguard with green marker. If you look close, you can see I added an extra string tree. I did this when I had strung it Nashville tuning to get rid of sitar like buzz on those light strings.

20220205_142455.jpg

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Congrats!
I remember those gold ones being decent once setup.

I really like my MIM duosonic. I actually prefer it in many ways to my MIJ mustang (which is actually a higher quality guitar, I just like the feel of the DS).

Mine just needed a new set of pickups and a little bit of bridge adjustment. (OH, and a repair to the bottom strap button thanks to usps dropping it...). I switched pickguards too, but that was less necessary.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats! Very cool guitars.

I have a '66 Duo-Sonic II that I picked up in the early 90s when they were still giving them away. Mine is the extra short scale (22.5" if I recall correctly). I used it for many shows and on many recordings. Great little guitars that can be sweet or snarly.

This song features the Duo-Sonic through my trusty old red knob Pro 185...

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Wow, @Telecaster88 I'm digging your music. Just listened to the reunion ep. and carol ana was hot. recording sounds really good. i will listen to the rest. i didnt see a button to follow you.

@Boreas I might have a screw loose but i traded the strat with the nut issues for it. I tried doing it myself and they were better than the job the other dude did but still not as tight as one should be. that was after two tries. lol. i think the third time couldve been the charm but i only ordered two. i got 400 trade value and i paid 300. between strings and nuts, i was getting to the point where i had to decide if i wanted to be invested in it over what i paid, or try something else. at this point im glad to have made the change. Yours is BEAUTIFUL!!!

@Short on cash and @bgmacaw very nice looking! thanks for the pics!!!

What size strings you guys using? Ive played 11s on everything and i like how those feel on this. i could try 12s but im not sure its necessary. actually what its making me do is i wanna try 10s in my starcaster now. lol. ive been playing 11s since the 90s. id break a string every gig with 10s and 11s solved that. but im older and might be able to contril myself a bit better now. plus im only gigging bass at this point. guitar is for recording and writing.

i couldnt put this thing down last night. just sitting in the couch unplugged. the riffs are flowing out. it feels really nice. im looking at my starcaster (chinese strat) thinking, i wanna try a 24.75" neck on it.

or buy a Fender Duo Sonic? or more short scale stuff. lol. I feel like when ive played mustangs i didnt like the sound. this sounds completely different to me. way more warm.

the neck is like neck stratty but better somehow. lol.

Anyways. i think its gonna stay and most of the songs i had planned to record seem to sound really goid with this one. we will see how it sounds in the mix.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I really like mine: it's so light and comfortable to play.
A yum!!!!!! I bet the hb rocks in there. did u tweak it it to install or did it come that way. love the colors. i want one with a rosewood fretboard. lol. i think the desert sand would look better with a rosewood board. lol.

this all reminds me. i had a fender bullet in the 90s. it was kind of grating sounding so i put a single coil size dimarzio in and i still didnt love it. i like the way it felt and looked though. someone was gonna paint it for me but sat on it for over a year and i got it back in parts. then i sold it off when i "quit" music in like 94. that didnt last too long thank God.

Memories. lol.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I had a surf green HS 2016 model for a little bit, it was fun but I had too many guitars and didn't use it that much. To me it had that 90's rock sound.
Here's Rory Gallagher using one, I think the guy from Talking Heads used one also:

Wow he rocks it. I dont see another guitar being played. it fills up the space well. Chuck Berry with a tiny guitar. lol.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
If anyone's interested, check the classifieds for a minty Player Duo Sonic...before I change my mind about selling it.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow, @Telecaster88 I'm digging your music. Just listened to the reunion ep. and carol ana was hot. recording sounds really good. i will listen to the rest. i didnt see a button to follow you.

@Boreas I might have a screw loose but i traded the strat with the nut issues for it. I tried doing it myself and they were better than the job the other dude did but still not as tight as one should be. that was after two tries. lol. i think the third time couldve been the charm but i only ordered two. i got 400 trade value and i paid 300. between strings and nuts, i was getting to the point where i had to decide if i wanted to be invested in it over what i paid, or try something else. at this point im glad to have made the change. Yours is BEAUTIFUL!!!

@Short on cash and @bgmacaw very nice looking! thanks for the pics!!!

What size strings you guys using? Ive played 11s on everything and i like how those feel on this. i could try 12s but im not sure its necessary. actually what its making me do is i wanna try 10s in my starcaster now. lol. ive been playing 11s since the 90s. id break a string every gig with 10s and 11s solved that. but im older and might be able to contril myself a bit better now. plus im only gigging bass at this point. guitar is for recording and writing.

i couldnt put this thing down last night. just sitting in the couch unplugged. the riffs are flowing out. it feels really nice. im looking at my starcaster (chinese strat) thinking, i wanna try a 24.75" neck on it.

or buy a Fender Duo Sonic? or more short scale stuff. lol. I feel like when ive played mustangs i didnt like the sound. this sounds completely different to me. way more warm.

the neck is like neck stratty but better somehow. lol.

Anyways. i think its gonna stay and most of the songs i had planned to record seem to sound really goid with this one. we will see how it sounds in the mix.
The Mustang does sound different for two reasons - 1. tremolo 2. Additional switching options. I find the Duo simpler to use than my Mustang, but the trem I added seems to feel very natural with it. In your case, I would enjoy it as-is. What my picture does NOT show is that my pickups are "S-90s" - a P-90-style pickup in a Strat form factor. A different sound altogether you could investigate inexpensively down the road ($30). Also, replacing the toggle with a 4-way switch may be in my future. My Fender Duo started as a HS coil split combination which I hated. I love the color combination of yours! ROCK IT!!!

Der_Kruscher

TDPRI Member
A yum!!!!!! I bet the hb rocks in there. did u tweak it it to install or did it come that way. love the colors. i want one with a rosewood fretboard. lol. i think the desert sand would look better with a rosewood board. lol.

this all reminds me. i had a fender bullet in the 90s. it was kind of grating sounding so i put a single coil size dimarzio in and i still didnt love it. i like the way it felt and looked though. someone was gonna paint it for me but sat on it for over a year and i got it back in parts. then i sold it off when i "quit" music in like 94. that didnt last too long thank God.

Memories. lol.
Mine came stock with the HB, but I put a nickel cover on it because I don't generally like the way open coils look. It was the first guitar I've owned with a 'bucker so it came as kind of an epiphany, although at this point I think that there are some that may suit my tastes better and I may do a swap at some point if I get bored. As for strings, I just have .010s on it like the rest of my guitars, two of which are Gibson scale Godins and also my Strat and Tele.