1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Dunno why?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Lobomov, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

There was a clearance sale at my local guitar pusher starting today, so I dropped by. The tele I wanted to look at was gone, while I didn't like the neck on the shell pink strat that I also considered.

And then I spottet a Joe Satriani JS1000 Ibanez. I just picked it up out of curiosity and BANG! ... I don't get it. It is all that I dislike. The neck is more narrow and thinner than a fender modern c. It has a floyd rose. It is not particulary pretty, but not totally pointy and ugly. It is just not my taste.

Yet it played like butter. So I plugged it into a twin reverb and it was heaven. It just sounded amazing. I never even tried it out overdriven.

I talked the priced down a further 100$ and walked out with it. I got around a 30 percent discount from the list price. Nothing stellar, but I couldn't help myself.

I actually still don't get it .. but I love how it sounds and play .. go figure???

Not mine as it is past sunset and my phone can't take a decent picture of a black guitar, but it's same same:
    [​IMG]

2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Congratulations!

I have to empathize. There have been times in the past when a guitar which was the antithesis of all I usually feel about guitars has just grabbed me and wouldn't let me go. Isn't that strange? I'm not at all surprised by your experience. I wonder if the experience of playing something just so 'right', even though it wouldn't normally be even in the picture, just makes us bite the bullet and buy it. And then spend time wondering. :rolleyes:

I hope you get years of enjoyment from it! :)

3. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I've had a couple guitars that were "not me". The first was a Conrad Barney Kessel copy a friend bought me as a gift, the second was an early '90's Washburn MG44 Superstrat which I got minus the pups and electronics for $65.00, after I put it back together it turned out to be a pretty nice guitar, even if it IS purple.

4. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

A nice guitar is a nice guitar, no matter what it LOOKS like. I say, roll with it and play it in good health!

5. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

congrats, i do like the black chrome finish. im sure they are a tone machine. im not much for artist guitars. but when you find one that just fits you, its something you just can not ignore.

this stuff is suppose to be fun. :D
    chros.

6. xjbebop

xjbebop Tele-Meister

It's good to keep an open mind.

That will likely inspire you play new stuff too...
    Enjoy!

7. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Sexy. Congrats.

8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

I loved my Ibanez Frank Gambale when I had it. There is something about Ibanez fast guitars that are just right - neck, trem, frets, radius all great. Enjoy!

9. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Thx all .. Nice words all around :)

Btw the artist part. The Joe Satriani name is nowhere to be found, so for those not into him (like me), it is just a black guitar.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I can relate, though I went the opposite direction. I started life as a metalhead, actively disliked Fender... Once I spent some time with a Strat, and later with a Tele, I was hooked.

11. Ironbird

Ironbird Tele-Holic

The JS are my favourite signature models, of out the hundred or so Ibanez has.

Congrats!

12. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your new black guitar. I've stood in your shoes, more than once. I was a dyed-in-the-wool Fender man for most of my life. Now my strangest "I really like this?" guitar is my Flying V. My wife bought it with a tax return earlier this year and I still love it.

Hope you get many years of love and enjoyment out of yours.

13. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

A buddy of mine has one of those. Its got a blue swirly looking finish on it. It also plays like butter. I also am not usually into those sort of guitars.

14. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I tend to be a Fender Strat guy, but I love Ibanez - criminally underrated guitars and basses.

15. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Congrats. I just got this today. I now have 4 ibanez and 4 Fender Co guitars. Tied up.

Attached Files:

16. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Love the Satch - I can see why you'd like it too: on paper, it comes made for the hands of someone who likes modern features but has a mindset from the past. So, the fretboard is of a rounder radius (starts at about 9-1/2" and compound flattens to ... I forget how much flatter ... but flatter it is) and the pickups, though increased in output from the PAF family, are in fact still of a less-crazy-output mindset.
    Coil splitting (tone control push-pull) makes for another nice option, and there should be a switchable treble bleed on the volume push-pull.

I have a Radius, which 'gave birth' to the Satch model; the body was adapted from the Radius and is virtually identical to it.
    Super comfy - but be ready for it to want to slide off of your lap unless you - like me - habitually play with a strap even when sitting.

Congrats; that's a fine purchase, and a lovely instrument - a sig model for one of my long-time faves. And you're right, just 'JS Series' on the headstock.
    Ironically, the cheaper JS100 models DO have a 'Joe Satriani' inlay at the 12th.

Enjoy.

PS: research 'locking stud mod' - those EdgePro trems got a bad rep, but the ONLY downfall was that they removed the locking stud feature when they put those on, and changing it to locking studs is an /immense/ improvement, bringing the EdgePro bridge fully on-par performance-wise with the Edge & LoPro Edge bridges.
    Cheers.

17. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Thx - Ill look into them :)

18. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you need a source to get stuff reliably, I have just the ticket.
    He keeps 'kits' ready to go to do this modification, which is handy.

Feel free to PM me to get that contact if you'd like (truthfully, not certain if it would be against policy here to post that link; if it's not, I'll post it for all to see as well).

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That's great. I like Joe, he's fast and fluid. I think those are beautiful guitars. Sleek, curvy, nothing goofy, just a nice shape and great finish. Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.