NGD CV Thinline 70s

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Footsore, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! Please tell us about the neck.

Chunky? Skinny?

If you have a caliper...

3. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Good lookin git-board. Congrats!

4. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

Neck is fine. Pretty thin but nice.
    Neck pickup is now unusable though. Was only half the output of the bridge pickup so clever me tried raising the pole pieces. High E went well but Low E, A, and D disappeared way below the cover.

5. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

Well I found the problem with the neck pickup. I thought in for a penny in for a pound and cut the strings off, removed all of the screws and the pick guard.
    The screws that had disappeared were now protruding out the back of the pickup. Using my fingers only I can push them in and out being held in place only by the potting wax.
    Given the that the pickup is low volume anyway and I'm less than impressed with their quality I will replace both of them a perhaps the rest of the electronics while I'm at it. The rest of the guitar is very attractive and seems very neat, well put together so is definitely worthy of better quality parts.
    So there it is. Had my new Thinline for about four hours and now it is a project.
    Anyone suggest some decent third party replacement WRHB's? :)

G-52 and bender66 like this.
  6. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The only replacements that are any good are gonna cost you as much as the guitars. Thats one of the reasons i sold both the MIM than VM suier versions i had. I tried modding the pickups which helped but still didn't sound great. The only ones that sounded good were around $120 each about 10 years ago. I also tried some others that were a bit more and they sounded pretty good but like regular humbuckers. There are just too few options and they are all expensive. Most were well over what i paid. And today they are all more expensive. That's the problem with WRHBs. There are no decent priced options and the only ones that actually sound similar to the originals are way too much $. Oddly i will say that GFS has one that actually isn't bad dirt cheap. The problem tho is they are very hot unlike a real WRHB. If they made em in a lower wind they might be pretty decent. I tried one but i don't like hot pickups. But after modding the ones in both my MIM and VM by removing the bar magnets and putting alnico slugs in them (tried A5 and A2) i actually think i liked that GFS more as far as the general tone, but not the output. When the indo was announced i saw the body comes in poplar (yours) and maple in the natural finish. I thought the maple might sound different in a good way and make it worth another shot at a 72TL. Still kinda thinking about it but i'll likely pass. By the way, it;s not potting wax holding the screws in, it;s the plastic bobbin. When they screw the poles in they cut thier own threads. Problem is, for whatever reason the holes are just slightly too large so the threads are almost nill and any pressure while screwing them can easily strip away any slight threads that were cut into the plastic.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Go onto Reverb & The Stratosphere, some could even turn up on EBay I’d just get the stock replacements, mine sound wonderful. That said, I see Epiphone Classic 57’s everywhere for $30.00 or less - but I don’t know if they’ll mount in the Squier’s cavity. Aside from Your misfortune I think Asian pickups get a bad rap.

There’s one last idea - EMG Passives.
    Here they come the people with the torches & pitchforks:eek:
    ...check out the redo that Michael Casswell did on a cheapo
    entry level Squier Stratocaster for Interactive Guitar on YouTube in 2015.

9. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Very nice! Congratulations! My Squier Thinline has actually edged out my American Professional Strat as the guitar I reach for most often. A lot of people diss the pickups saying they are nothing like the original WRHBs. I don't know about that, but I think they sound great! They have a chime to them that my other HBs just don't have.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar, but you should not have to do that with the pickups within 4 hours....

11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Nice! I picked up a used 60th Anniversary CV50s gold Strat the other day.

[​IMG]

12. fender4life

I like them too, at least *generally*. They aren't like the originals at all, having owned a original 70s one. But they do have a sound i like. However, the problem isn't one that affects everyone and thats for the most part due to the issue being mainly when using overdive and in a band mix. If you play clean and/or don't play in a band your chances of likely them is far greater. You may recall there was a guy named telenator that used to post here who made versions of WRHB's and sold them/ He basically said the same thing i am which is that that they tend top get lost in a band mix. The reason is this....the plain strings and low strings are tonally out of balance more then any other pickups i have hear at least. The lows tend to get dark and muddy if the amp is tuned to sound good on the plain strings. If you ten try and tune the amp so the wound strings are clear and crisp, the plains then become thin and bright. The issue becomes far more obvious 1-in a band mix or 2playing with a good amount of OD. Combine both and it becomes problematic.

That said, as i have mentioned previously i am curious about this new model because having played them the maple body one seems to have a ton of snap acoustically which makes me wonder how far that might go in masking that issue. The poplar one i dunno, as the one i played didn't seem to have the same degree of snap.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I picked up a replacement set of the same pickups on EBay so will have it all fixed up when they arrive. I'll then see what they sound like as a set and see where I go from there. It's a beaut guitar and definitely worth a good set of pickups if needed.
    One option could be to send a set to be rebuilt with the original Squier covers and all new innards.

14. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

Still wondering why that neck pickup had such low output...

15. fender4life

Could be a number of things....the 4 coil connections are exposed and maybe somehow one is touching the shielding paint in the cavity. One coil could be shorted internally ir even open. Dirty or bad connection at the switch. First thing u need to do is open it, unsolder the ground wire and measure the pickup with a meter. Should read around 8k. The resolder it, set the switch to neck, turn the volume to 10 and measure it again. Should be very close, within around 500 ohms either direction. If not, check the switch. You could solder a wire from the hot wire of the pup where it;s soldered to the switch to the input lug of the pot. If it then has full output that will tell you it;s the switch contact.

Footsore likes this.
  16. MBthinline

MBthinline TDPRI Member

I put Guitar Fetish pickups in mine and think they sound great. The pair cost around 60 bucks.

A new nut and properly sized bridge greatly helped with the string spacing on mine. Before that the strings didn't line up with the poles well and the high E was too close to the edge of the finger board.

MBThinline

thinline75.jpg

Footsore likes this.
  17. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

I really like my VM version in natural ash. I put in some Mojotone 72 Clone pickups, and it went from sounding good to sounding really outstanding.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Is that the stock pickguard? I ask because those look like traditional size HB's.

How?

19. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

I love gold Strats, that's perfect.

20. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I really like that - and I really love the look! That pick guard looks terrific! Congratulations!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.