NGD Custom Tele Baritone

edipo

Tele-Meister
Never had the chance to have a NGD here!(My last tele was a rental from a friend)

I’ve been postponing for a while to get a baritone and was going to get a Cabronita one, but always thought that a proper bridge pickup would add to the sound. To my surprise Squier had these new baritones with the proper configuration. So I took the bait.

The guitar is beautiful and well finished. I have just played for a few hours with it, but it sounds good. I think the neck pickup sounds kinda dull (edit: cos it had the plastic yet, dumbass!!), but the bridge is what I expected. So far (knowing it’s too early) I’m really happy with it. Already did the twangy-Morricone-reverby thing and also player around with a fuzz and it shines to my taste.

I have a gold foil that I’m considering swapping for the neck pickup, but maybe I’ll give it more time.
52A1ABF6-8934-4639-9265-32E4EDE35E57.jpeg

Last edited:

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Very nice! Congrats. Those baritones really sound great. Now I'll be hearing "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" theme in my head all day long.

cooltouch

Tele-Meister
Congrats as well. I'm not familiar with the Squier Baritone Teles. Do you happen to know what the scale is?

I built my own bari Tele about 7 years ago. I bought a "loaded" Tele Affinity body (everything but the neck) and then ordered a bari neck from Warmoth. The neck was expensive, but ultimately worth it, I felt. I went with it mostly because of its 28-5/8" scale and 24 frets.

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
Good way to get into baritone guitars the Squires. I am still tempted by a Squire Super 6 (the 6 string sudo bass thing) or one of those baritones but have yet to find one in stock up here in Vancouver. As I just spurlged my airline ticket refund on a fuzz pedal and already have 4 guitars, I definitely don't need a baritone right away!

cooltouch

Tele-Meister
I dunno about the factory Squier Baratones, but the one that I built, with the Warmoth neck, ended up with a cheap set of sealed tuners I bought off eBay for less than 20 bucks. They're not very good, but they hold tune reasonably well, and they'll do until I get a nicer set.

I was worried that the hole in the tuner I had installed for the 6th string wouldn't be big enough. The 6th string on my Baritone is 0.064" in diameter -- pretty stout, because I tune the guitar to A-D-G-C-E-A, where the low A (6th string) is an octave below the 5th string on a regular guitar. But even that cheap set has holes large enough -- barely large enough -- to pass a 0.064" diameter string through it.

Now, it may be erroneous thinking on my part, but I figure that if a cheap set has holes big enough for a low-pitched bari, then better quality tuners should also have holes at least as large as those found on a cheap set.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Can you tell if the tuners on your Squier baritone are any different from tuners on a regular Telecaster?
Not sure about this model, but my subsonic baritone neck I have on a tele, takes regular MIM/MIA tuners, and baritone strings fit just fine.

I put tuners off of a MiM standard on mine.

Wildcard_35

Tele-Meister
I dunno about the factory Squier Baratones, but the one that I built, with the Warmoth neck, ended up with a cheap set of sealed tuners I bought off eBay for less than 20 bucks. They're not very good, but they hold tune reasonably well, and they'll do until I get a nicer set.

I was worried that the hole in the tuner I had installed for the 6th string wouldn't be big enough. The 6th string on my Baritone is 0.064" in diameter -- pretty stout, because I tune the guitar to A-D-G-C-E-A, where the low A (6th string) is an octave below the 5th string on a regular guitar. But even that cheap set has holes large enough -- barely large enough -- to pass a 0.064" diameter string through it.

Now, it may be erroneous thinking on my part, but I figure that if a cheap set has holes big enough for a low-pitched bari, then better quality tuners should also have holes at least as large as those found on a cheap set.
Thanks. Reason I am asking is, I'm contemplating popping a Fender-made baritone neck onto my Mexican telecaster and it doesn't come with tuners.

cooltouch

Tele-Meister
I think you'll be fine. The Fender bari neck will give you "only" a 27" scale, whereas my Warmoth bari neck provides a 28-5/8" scale. So you're most likely not gonna need a 0.064" diameter 6th, although there's certainly no reason for not using one, if you want. Tuning that diameter of a string to a higher pitch will give better resonance than tuning it to a lower pitch.