NGD Critique of New Paranormal Cabronita Thinline

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Randypttt, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's what I thought. Thanks SSS. Now, tell me, we're talking soldering at the switch, right? This obviously isn't my forte. And the cavity is so narrow but the wiring is civilized at least.

There's actually a lot more wires involved than one would think. A black coming from a single hole in the back, and four coming from a big hole in the front. Might have to take stuff apart. Arrgh.

You have pics of what you did? Even if the cavity is small if I could see what you did I might get a clue.
    Thanks

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't have pics of what I did, but honestly they wouldn't help; my soldering is fine but I didn't give much care to how the wires are laid out, so between that and the greater-than-normal number of wires in a JM it's just spaghetti.

It's simple enough, though. Each pickup has two wires coming out of it, right? Pick one, it doesn't matter. Each wire coming from the one pickup is wired to some other point. Simply switch them. Doesn't matter where they go on your particular guitar. Just choose one pickup (whichever makes it easier for you), and for the one pickup, switch where its wires are soldered to.

That's all that's relevant; the two wires coming form any one of the pickups.

3. Randypttt

Cool. thanks man

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Hngd, looks the business.

5. Randypttt

While I have this thread going I was wondering if anyone here could tell me the best way to replace the switch (and maybe the pots.)

Can I just drag the harness out without disconnecting the pups? Looks like there's plenty of line but if there's not, are there other alternatives?

I have to rewire the switch anyway to get the pups wired right. Thought I might just replace the switch. The pots probably should go too but...

Any wiring diagrams similar to this would be helpful also. I looked at one for the Jazzmaster but with that tone cluster thingy it makes that unusable to me. No pro here.

Also if you know of someone you could make a harness for me that's not over the moon expensive that would work also. :rolleyes:

6. Randypttt

We could disregard the last post by me. I've decided to return it. Soon. Have about 2 weeks left.

I know it's customary for a lot of you to just rip out the cheap crap inside, including the pups sometimes, and end up with a better guitar than you bought. My problem is I'm not great at the replacement thing. Crap with a soldering gun.

Plus spending the extra money was not what I wanted to do. I thought by now they would have used better stuff after all the complaints about cheap pots and switches. After having to replace the stuff in my CV 50 I thought they couldn't get any cheaper but I think they succeeded.
    It is what it is I guess.

Like the guitar and it wasn't a lot of money but right out the gate I have to either return and replace the guitar or rewire the pups to the switch coz it sounds like dukey in the mid position. It's under store warranty now but I'm not sure I trust GCs repair guy(s) coz they change out about every other month.

Easier to just take it back and rethink the whole p-90 thing.
    Yeah I'm a whiner. When you're retired there's just things you don't want to bother with. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Cheers

7. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Just did a quick side by side with this and my Player Tele. Both knobs dimed, all positions. The Cabronita has a little more volume and sounds just a bit more chimey, otherwise pretty similar. The Player will remain #1, but the Cabronita will go to shows too.

8. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

This is quite similar to those modern thinline chinese ones from 2010 era right? Havent seen a review that really showed the tone clean the way I want to hear it yet but really like the white one!

9. Randypttt

They are very similar to the Modern Player Thinline. I had the Trans Black and really liked it. Found I wasn't playing it very much and I needed some other equipment so...stupid really.

I have the white one, ironically, and it's not really too different. I would do a vid but it's wired wrong with mid position out of phase or whatever you call it. A guy up thread hipped me to the solution but I was tempted to take it back and exchange it. Except I'm in the high risk group for C-19 and, call me a wuss, but it's not worth getting exposed for a problem I can probably fix myself.

Just found a 3rd vid on yt from Empire music with a guy that plays well, knows how to tune (SO IMPORTANT), and is playing thru a Fender Supersonic. He does a lot of clean stuff before the grind comes on. Good vid.

10. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

first time out for my Cabronita. We start at 17 minutes in

11. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure I found out the electrical issue. The 3-way switch. I re-arranged how the wires fit in the cavity. The pickup wires were rubbing the switch and I think it was shorting to ground at times.

Randypttt likes this.
  12. Randypttt

Thanks man. I'll look at that.

13. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I’m really liking these fake jazz master pickups, not sure if I’ll replace them with vintage style

14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

OH, ISN'T THAT JUST LOVELY! really it's a Daisy

15. Randypttt

So do I. My first P-90s were on a early 70s Firebird and I have no real memory of them mostly coz I maxed out my amp every gig.

Flashforward 35 yrs or so later I have a PRS Semi hollow with soapbars that were so under impressive I had to be rid of it.

Next was the Modern Player thinline that I found pretty aggressive.
    These are somewhere in between the last two. Very sweet sounding but they get full and large real quick. I like em.

I looked at my wiring btw and found nothing amiss so it's on to the soldering iron and switching some wires like BorderRadio suggested. Oh well

16. don

don Tele-Meister

Not sure I'm following the pickup info - aren't these jazzmaster pickups not P-90's. I want a P90 guitar but the few videos I've seen don't sound like P-90's to me. Thanks!

17. Randypttt

I can refer you to @BorderRadio who, in a different thread, explained the difference. I've had two other p-90 guitars and none of them really sounded the same. But go read his post. He has pics and everything. I was confused about it also. A write up on GC's site used the word soapbar and it got me wondering since they were labeled JM pups. BorderRadio is right I think.

Before this post I was about to write some thoughts on the tone. I've been playing this guitar everyday since I got it. Recently I brought out a different guitar to play on a project I'm working on.

Not really thinking about a comparison but I was struck by the differences in tone. The guitar is an 07 FMT Tele with the Duncan HB's that I've always liked as an alternative to the single coil guitars I usually play. And other HBs in my collection as well. I don't find HBs terribly clean sounding. No offense to Gibby lovers.

The FMT HB's I found to be clean as always but also harsh compared to the Cabs pups. My other P-90 guitars I've always felt like they were just HBs with more note definition but these are not just that but clean with bell-like tones. Especially noticeable are notes in the upper range on the 1st string.

Most of my guitars seem to start wimping out in tone (not volume) up there but the Cab is still rounded and full sounding even on 22.

I don't mean to say that the Duncans are harsh sounding but compared to the Cabs they are. Just some thoughts.

Add your own please.

18. don

don Tele-Meister

@Randypttt Can you link the thread - I can't locate it - thanks!

19. Randypttt

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  20. Randypttt

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.