NGD Cort Luce Series - L450CL

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by dreamingtele, Jul 16, 2018.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Its not the most expensive guitar out there but I love it!

I’ve been on the lookout for an entry-mid level acoustic with at least a solid top and solid bottom to use at church. Mahogany is the wood of choice. All Mahogany would be the best. OM/000/Concert is the preferred shape. I have a very strict budget and almost all new (and used here in oz) that has what I’m looking for is expensive and out of reach (budget-wise)

Great thing is there's a few guitars out there that are of quality and are serious tone machines without breaking the bank.

I've tried Sigma's. They're all good, but the feel didnt sold me to it. I was set to buy the Alvarez Delta 00 AET, but I decided to wait a little bit longer and see if I can check a few more stores and find something better. After all, after an OM/Concert shape, not 00.

Anyway, Cort has been making really good quality guitars recently, and I've been surprised by this gem among the rough. Really good, loud and nice feel. Exact tone in my head at my first strum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Action is a bit high, and would need to have a professional set up. Nut and Saddle are not bone unfortunately, so it will be replaced when I get funds up for a full set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still has rosewood board and bridge. With all the cites regulation going on, thats a bonus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dreamingtele

Any recommendations for a good, but cheap pre-amps? Do you use any when playing acoustic?

3. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Nice! Congrats on your new guitar. I had a Parkwood made by Cort that was all solid. Great sound but not very loud though. Hopefully yours has improved since then.

4. dreamingtele

I am, honestly, surprised. The Sigma GME+, 000ME and OMRST1 I tried were okay, but acoustically, not so loud.
    I've also tried a $3k Maton, it is good, but I found that the Sigma was a bit louder. but plugged in, oh wow.

The loudest of those four is the Alvarez delta 00. For a parlor guitar, I was surprised at that volume of that guitar.

Then I went to another store and checked this one out, and I was surprised how loud it is. Hit my ears right and nailed the tone that I've been hearing in my head. Sustain was pretty spot on, considering the bridge saddle and nut were not bone. I would have to pimp this one out with bone nut, saddle and bridge pins, then have a full set up by my luthier friend.

The LR Baggs Element EAS-VTC was pretty good, considering what Ive been reading on the internet about it. In my opinion, it does what it does pretty well. I may plug this through my board instead of getting a pre amp for it. I think, a compressor and a reverb will do. but I will have to try this one out in practice to see what it can really do.

5. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Yours looks to have a satin finish which helps bring out the natural tone and volume of an acoustic, versus poly used on many guitars. I tried a Delta and liked it as it had a lot of volume for a smaller guitar. More than I wanted to spend and ended up buying a Ibanez parlor hog and 000; solid top with lami sides and back but bone nut and saddle in a satin finish.

6. dreamingtele

I contemplated on the cheaper Ibanez Performance Series PC12MHE, but I couldnt find it anywhere to try, its significantly cheaper but the Cort has the LR Baggs Element EAS-VTC pickups, then I looked at the Artwood Vintage Thermo aged series AVC9 , but it didnt have a pickup. and i need something to have a pickup as well, and I cant find it anywhere to try, I can only order online. If only I got to try it, I wouldve had more choices and can think better.

and I like the delta 00 as well. If I have more funds, Id buy it as a second acoustic.

7. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

love it. what a beauty.
    i have a cort acoustic from 2000. Their stuff is really under-rated. it's a solid cedar top, mahog back sides and neck. fishman eq/pickup. it has aged very well and plays like an electric.
    I'm told cort makes a lot of the 'korean made' stuff for many other mfgs, or at least they used to.

8. dreamingtele

Satin finish seems to be VERY thin. I bumped it lightly on a chair by accident and it made a really small crack on the finish. It feels so light and fragile! Being used to solid bodies and electric guitars getting banged up and bumping into things. I may have to watch everything that comes near to this.

On the bright side, I adjusted the truss rod a bit and it lowered the action quite a bit to where its now comfortable barring chords. I adjusted it at the point where I am no longer confident anymore. This is where my luthier will come in. Adjusting saddle height and a properly cut nut. For the mean time, I’ll wait for my bone saddle and bridge pins and enjoy this guitar until I save up some funds for a whole set up!

9. dreamingtele

A lot of people will look past Cort because, well, they are very cheap guitars. But I think their reputation has changed over the years and seem to be getting good reviews.

This guitar has surprised me in terms of tone, feel and playability. Its not a Martin, but it feels like home to me.

I do have a Gretsch 5420T. Korean made, very very very good guitar. Well built, and sounds awesome. Though I am not sure if it came from Cort factory or Fender has another manufacturer for their Gretsch Electromatic line. But if it was made by Cort, then I’m not surprised that my guitar sounds and feels awesome.

10. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

"well, they are very cheap guitars" - let me amend that statement: "because most stores only carry the less expensive cort models so no one is exposed to the expensive stuff"
    my cort - dealer cost was $750ish so + 30% should mean it would hang for $975 - I bought it while working at a music store/cort dealer. at the time they made the matt guitar murphy, and the larry coryell ($1500) so I don't know about now... but they def made some very expensive stuff then. anywho, I used to love playing their $400ish solid top dreadnoughts in that store... hard to find a $400 acoustic that would stack well against that.

11. dreamingtele

I agree with you. Cort has been known to make cheap guitars because thats what the stores carry more often.

I actually wanted the L300VF, Solid Addy top and solid mahogany back and lam mahogany sides. But I couldnt find it anywhere. And its - bit more expensive than the L450CL. I see one in my collection in the future!

12. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Too bad there are none nearby you. Their open pore(satin) models do sound good. The Performance series are usually all lami. Artwood usually have solid tops and do sound better than the Performance series, though the Performance series do sound good in the model you want to try.

13. dreamingtele

to update you guys, I bought a long metal ruler to check neck straightness, and sand paper. Cort gives you an extra plastic saddle along with the truss rod allen wrench and an extra bridge pin.

I took a chance in trying to lower the action a bit by sanding the bottom of the extra bridge saddle. I dont have a clue on what height so i just sanded slowly and compared to the original saddle that was installed. When i thought I sanded enough and made sure it was flat (as the LR Baggs Element pickups needed to have a really flat surface in contact with the film piezo).

Installed it, and loosened the truss rod a bit as it was too straight with almost no relief.

And the outcome was GREAT! The action is so much better. I like my guitars to fight back but after my adjustment, it was almost too easy to play. I never had an acoustic that plays so easily! I have an incoming bone saddle and bone bridge pins. So now I know how much to shave off the bottom of the bone saddle to get the same action. I will go slow and will try to do better. Any tips you can share so i can do this better is welcome!

The only drawback is, i need to play lightly. Im a heavy handed player when it comes to acoustics as I have always been playing acoustics that have not been set up. These guitars I have played have action the height of the eiffel tower so I’ve gotten used to playing harder, strum harder and fretting harder. Lol.

I took the risk as I just want to improve the playability because it will take some time and money to go the luthier for a pro set up. It was a free saddle anyway and I can easily put the original saddle if it didnt work out, but it did work for me this time.

I can set up my electrics just fine. Acoustics are a whole new frontier for me. And i want to learn as much as i can in setting up my acoustic!

14. dreamingtele

Wow i wish there was a store that have these in stock. I wouldve tried them all. But the deal breaker for me was that the artwood vintage series OM shape doesnt have a pickup. The OM cutaway version has it, and Im not a fan of cutaways on acoustic guitars

15. dreamingtele

Just finished my initial saddle sanding and set up. Feels good, better than when I got it from the shop. but I want to go lower. Im a heavy handed player and im already buzzing when I hit it hard. Its not uncomfortable to play barre chords. Almost no effort in barring an F chord, but it gets relatively harder once I go up the neck. Intonation is a a few cents off on A string, but nothing too serious, suprisingly, everything else is okay. Still play in tune in my ears when I do chords and inverted chords up the neck.

This is just the plastic extra saddle that the guitar came with. Im sanding down to try my hand at setting up my new acoustic guitar. Im not going into full blown set up as that will be done by my luthier friend, but until then, I just want this guitar to play better as I dont have the funds for a full set up for now.

Should I shave off a bit more? anything that I can do to lower the strings more and not buzz?

Original height of the saddle

[​IMG]

Not sure if you can see the difference, I didnt think to shoot it again in that angle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

From the photo I wouldn't shave anymore off. If you want easier bar chords, i would try lighter strings or power chords

17. dreamingtele

Yup! I didnt mess with it anymore. Its already playing good, and heaps better than when I got it!

18. dreamingtele

So, Aged camel bone bridge saddle and pins arrived! Thank you Ebay!

[​IMG]

I installed it and left it a bit higher than what I had in there before, no longer buzzing on open strings. But this will need to be taken to the luthier now if I want to improve the action and intonation!

[​IMG]

The abalone inlays were a nice touch and it now looks like its an expensive instrument. LOL

I cannot determine what Im hearing. I feel that I cant discern the changes in tone, but it feels that the sound is tighter and full bodied. I can hear that its like you put something solid on the bridge and it no longer sounds plasticy. but if it added warmth, bass, mids or trebles, overtones (What is this???), I cant really tell.

All set up and ready!

[​IMG]

tried it in our church service the next morning and it sounds good through my rig, feels good and plays good.

[​IMG]

19. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Very nice

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.