NGD - Classic series 72 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Steve-0-, May 24, 2020.

1. Steve-0-

Steve-0- Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

been hankering after either one of these or a Thinline for a while. Alas, this beauty on eBay seduced me and I pulled the trigger. It’s a 2015 model and might as well be brand new. Not a mark on it and the frets seem like they have never been used.
    Yes, I know the Wide Range Humbuckers in the classic series aren’t considered all that great..... but I don’t really see why. Bright, punchy, clear..... really nice rounded sound through all my amps both clean and with a bit of drive dialled in.
    And it just feels comfy and balanced to play.
    Overall..... very happy!!

cheers,

Steve

F82BA126-E44B-456D-AF27-AF68CF01CB4A.jpeg

2. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister

Looks good I got one in a sunburst finish from Craigslist last year

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That looks nice

One of the guitars I regret not buying was a tele deluxe, a new model around 2005 or so, it happened to have a strat trem on it which you don’t see often

4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Very nice, enjoy!

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have one in white. Nice guitar!

6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Congrats! I have a 2006 Classic 72 Thinline, and like you I find the reissue WRHBs to be not as bad as people make them out to be (and mine are the pre-"revoiced" models)... Very Fendery, though admittedly without the hot spark of the originals from back in the day.

The only drawback to my ears is that the wound strings lack punch. But some knob twirling on the amp minimizes that.

7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

nice!

8. Phins74

Phins74 TDPRI Member

I like!

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Congrats!

I have one in the walnut brown. Great playing guitar. MIM's seemed to have bettered their game in recent years.

Played pretty decent right out of the box. Good fret work. Needed a little intonation adjustment.

When I switch from my single coil guitars to the Deluxe. I have to boost the treble quite a bit to compensate.

The Deluxe is quite a bit darker than the others I have. A little darker was expected with the HB's.

Found out these came with 250k pots as standard. I still have the original strings on it. When I change those I'll switch the volume pots to 500k's.

Hope that brings it a little closer and more user friendly for me. I like the guitar.

I think the original WRHB's had 1meg pots. Not sure I'll make that jump.

These are not like the originals.

Have fun with your new guitar!

10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I have one in brown too. Absolutely love it, one of my best sounding and playing guitars.

I had a Custom in the '70s, with the WRHB in the neck. I couldn't care less about these new pickups sounding like the originals, they sound wonderful just as they are.

11. Steve-0-

Steve-0- Tele-Meister

Cheers guys.
    Quick question - were the wide ranges re-voiced in 2012? I thought it was more recently? These sound pretty good even with the stock pots in there. I might change them out with 500k or 1meg at some point To see the difference, but not feeling the need really.

As for the mexi build quality..... the thing is next to perfect. Really are no issues with it at all. Frets are perfect, finish is perfect etc etc. All I will be doing is lowering the saddles for the higher strings to get the actin as low as I like. And that’s it.

I think all three colour choices were awesome. Would have been happy with either - but the black on black with maple neck...... eek!!

cheers,

Steve

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

13. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice! Congratulations.

14. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele TDPRI Member

Congrats! I love these as well. As others have said, the recent Wide Range Buckers are really good IMO. Just a good clear and punchy PAF sound with no mud. I am pretty sure from my research they’ve been revoiced in 2012 and again more recently. I have experience with the post 2012 ones and they are among my all time favorites. Nice round cleans and the bridge punches hard with the alnico 5 bar magnet matched with the tele scale length. Make sure you have 500K (or higher) pots to keep the “Tele” in the Telecaster Deluxe

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.