NGD: Classic Series '69 Reissue Thinline!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RichCuellarPDX, Aug 7, 2020.

1. RichCuellarPDX

RichCuellarPDX Tele-Meister

I just picked up this 2009 Classic Series Thinline today for $300. Plays great, nice chunky neck, barely any fret wear and the pickups sound great, even with the REALLY old strings that were on it. Im gonna slap on some 10s and just play 'er! I used to own the same model/year except in tobacco sunburst and foolishly sold it. I love these MIM thin lines. I rarely see the blacks ones anywhere. Ill post some better pix tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted

good deal on a great guitar
    HNGD

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice!!!

That pearloid guard looks great !!!

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I'm not alone ! :D I posted my NGD a few weeks ago with a CAR 69 thinline. These things are fantastic. The sound is just so right. I think they are the perfect tele. Yours also has brass comp saddles. Look just like the fenders i put on mine. Much better sounding than the stock steel. HNGD, now don't go selling this one, you don't wanna have to start kicking yourself all over again. :D seriously, these really are hidden jems. Not sure why they weren't more popular. I had 2 classic 50s teles and one classic 60s and this one makes those sound a bit small.

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  6. RichCuellarPDX

I agree, it sounds great. I had a MIJ version from the late 80s that I gave my son a number of years back that was great, but I like the neck on this one much better. Personally, I really dont like black guitars, but this one works for me. Im definitely keeping it.

7. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

Congratulations! Really cool looking guitar! Enjoy it!

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my 96. Still great after all this time. Bassplate on the bridge pickup, 250k pots, 5way, NOS 70s bridgeplate.
    IMG_20200427_122004.jpg

9. fender4life

Do u know if it's mahogany or ash? I know they made both and mine is ash. If you take the neck off u can tell or call fender. If u are curious that is.

10. RichCuellarPDX

Hmmm, I just assumed it was mahogany? I had no idea they made any MIM versions with ash. It is a bit heavier (7lbs) than my old MIJ one (6.6 lbs)...

11. NickWebb

NickWebb Tele-Meister

Congratulations, that’s an excellent choice

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wow!

13. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Nice looking guitar, what a deal!

14. fender4life

You might wanna date it and see if it's a 2002 like mine. That year they made a FSR run of custom car colors and that could be why black is rare. If it's a 2002 theres a post i found googling this FSR and it tells what each color is. I only recall candy apple red being ash but i think of the 5 or 6 colors one other was ash too but i don't recall which. You can always call fender tho. Give the the serial # and they can tell you what wood the body is among many other things.

15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

beautiful guitar! I'm hoping to get the Squier version of the 69 tele Thin Line maybe next year- but I just bought an SG!
    I could be wrong about this but I just assumed that all the bodies were ash, unless you got the natural mahogany version which is the one I want

16. fender4life

No, they did both and the FSR custom color run was from that post i read mostly mahogany but one or 2 were ash. I prefer ash so i was glad to find the one i wanted to buy was ash and once i found that i went and bought it. You can plainly see it's ash thru the F hole but on the OP's the wood in the f hole is painted.
    Just a word of warning on the squier....i had one of those and it was painfully bright to the point that after trying at least 5 bridge pickups in it and different saddles and bridge i finally gave up and sold it. I heard a couple others say the same so i would be aware of that b 4 u buy one. Other then that it was a nice tele which is why i tried hard to tame it, but i have never had such a bright guitar.

Chiogtr4x and RichCuellarPDX like this.
  17. RichCuellarPDX

The first three digits on mine are MN9xxxxxx, so I assume its an '09?

18. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Nice! Black with pearl guard and maple neck is a great look for thinlines. I have a '72 RI MIM with a nitro re-finish in that scheme and love it. My son has a 2000 ish MIM '69 in mahogany and it is a great sounding guitar. Presumably it has the 1 meg pots without baseplate giving it that razor cut tone, although I've not checked the guts.

They seem to come up for sale regularly here in the UK, maybe because they don't have that fatter Tele tone that is fashionable these days. Depends what sound you're looking for, but I think they're cool :cool:

19. fender4life

No, it's actually 1999-2000 ! Cool thing about that is for the first ears of the MIM reissue models the bodies and necks were actual USA made AVRI ! They shipped them to mexico for finishing and parts/assembly. So by upgrading the parts you actually have basically a poly finished AVRI. They always made the standard bodies there but the classic series were USA till a later date of which i am unsure but i think maybe when they updated the factory around 14' i think. https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...-my-Mexican-made-instrument-was-manufactured-

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  20. fender4life

I believe thats incorrect. The 72 thinline may have 1m pots because the wide range mumbuckers in the original 72s had them. But i don't think the original 69s did if for no other reason that thery had the same pickup setup as regular teles. My 2002 69 thinline had a 250k pot. It actually was way out of spec and read 300k so i replaced it,. But on the pot casing itself it said 250k. They can vary as much as 20% which is the max variance on a 20% pot. So a 250k can be as much as 300 like mine, or little as 200 and i have seen that too,. But the 69 should not have 1m far as i know and mine definately didn't. The razor tone you hear is likely the saddles. I changed mine to brass. Could be the mahogany too, as like i said above my mahogany CV thinline was insanely bright. People think mahogany is dark but not so. Gibsons sound fat/middy because of many other factors and the mahogany probably keeps the from losing clarity. Acoustics with hog bodies generally are considered the brightest.

RichCuellarPDX and 63telemaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.