1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Classic 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rhythmjones, Feb 6, 2015.

1. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

As soon as we saw the CME Instagram that these existed, I knew I had to have one. I'm turning 40 this year, and I promised myself a "nice" guitar to celebrate. When Hollerbody posted the pictures of his in the thread about this model, there was no question left in my mind.

So after a flurry of selling unused gear:

[​IMG]
    Case is the vietnamese case. Good enough for me. Nice plush interior. Latches seem solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's a beaut' Clark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is by far the nicest guitar I've ever owned. My budget has usually had my buying cheap guitars and hot-rodding them over time (like my VMJM over there). So this is a very special day for me.

I am absolutely in love with this guitar. I left a comment over on the other thread, but I mean it when I say this feels on-par with an AV. For less than half the bread, it's a no-brainer for me.

I had designs on swapping the pick guard and maybe putting a Mustang bridge on it. But honestly, the white is growing on me, and the bridge is working fine for me for now. So all I'm going to do is put a set of AVRI knobs on it, and play it as is.

I've never been a guy to own two of the same guitar, but in addition to being an upgrade from the VMJM, they serve different purposes. The VM is modern and flashy, the other, vintage and classy.

2. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow! A big GAS is coming to me, and I am turning 40 too this year, thx for your thread my friend! She s sooooo beautiful, I m in love!!! I m sure that a tort pickguard will look fantastic on this baby, but I agree that the White one is cool ;-)

Enjoy!

3. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

Cool. This is the first I've heard of there being offsets in the Classic Series. And in lacquer to boot! I notice they have the same pickups as their Pure Vintage Counterparts too, which makes them a real viable, affordable alternative in my opinion. I'm lusting after the Jaguar, personally.

Was the case included, or extra?

4. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Now I want one of these. I prefer the look and feel of Lacquer over any poly finish and this one comes in as affordable compared to the AVRI. The color helps too. It's a shame my Birthday already past, but so what.

Congrats on a beautiful Jazzmaster, and thanks for the GAS.

5. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

That's some really slick stuff there, love the color!

6. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Included!

7. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Beauty! Just one more guitar I can't get.

8. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Congrats! That's such a cool looking guitar!!!

9. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Very cool. Looks like the bridge is in the right place as opposed to the Classic Players. The MIM stuff is very impressive these days.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I like it! What are these selling for?

11. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Very nice!

12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think list is $999.99.

13. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

Congrats! I've had my heart on a JM ever since I played the same VM you have (can't seem to get into the MIM CP personally).

When you have a chance to get a sense of the differences between those two I'd love to hear about it.

14. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Your question is right up my alley. I spent a lot of time wondering if 2 JMs was right for me.

My VMJM is heavily modded with a MP Marauder neck, EY pickguard, CTS pots, switch and jack out of a Gibson SG, disconnected rhythm circuit, and the racing stripe, so bear that in mind.

VMJM (with mods noted)
    Basswood
    Poly
    9.5" radius
    Medium Jumbo frets
    22 frets (stock VMJM has 21)
    Pearloid Dots (stock VMJM are white dots)
    Duncan Designed pickups
    generic trem (no lock)
    Mustang Bridge (stock is a Squier JM style bridge) Standard thimbles
    500k pots (stock VMJM are 1 meg)
    disconnected rhythm circuit (stock VMJM is engaged)
    Vintage style tuners
    no case

Classic 60's Lacquer
    Alder
    Lacquer
    7.25" radius
    "Vintage" style frets
    21 frets
    White dots
    American Vintage pickups
    Fender stamped trem (no lock) *noticeably higher quality than the Squier*
    Mexican JM style bridge (narrow thimbles)
    1 meg pots
    vintage style tuners
    Case

The truth is, the VMJM before mods is a lot closer to the Classic 60's Lacquer than mine is post-mods. The trem arm on my Squier is floppy, the Fender trem arm stays where you put it. The stock wiring and components on the Squier were pretty crappy. I haven't been under the hood of the Fender yet, but I think they have full-sized decent quality components.

The VMs are great instruments and considering their price, highly recommended by me. But considering the vintage style appointments, pickups, lacquer, case and upgraded hardware (out of the box) the Classic Lacquer was worth the investment for me.

edit: The older "Classic Player" model had incorrect trem placement, tune-o-matic style bridge, poly finish and p-90 style pickups. I never even considered it.

15. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

Thanks for the rundown, rhythmjones. I really dug the VMJM yet felt it was a hair short of what I'd want to own, y'know? I wondered if any of Fender's higher-end JMs were up my alley and when I tried the CP I was disappointed initially, until I found out it's a bit different from a more traditional JM. Made me feel like I could find something. Quite happy this one feels like a step up for you. I know a couple stores in the area that stock this one, have to make a trip to give it a spin sometime soon.

I will say that the Troy Van Leeuwen sig JM looks amazing as well. A bit more menacing-looking, less of a cool vibe than your 60s JM.

16. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Yeah those TVLs are sick!

17. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

I've been in touch with my contact at the local guitar outfit, and apparently they have some of these lacquer offsets landing in the country today! I've got a Jaguar being sent to my nearest store so I can try it out when it arrives. It's available at a pretty sharp price, too. I just hope the neck is to my liking.

rhythmjones, how would you describe the neck profile? Obviously the Jag and Jazz have different necks, but both are described as 'C-shape' on the Fender site. Is it a thin C or is there some chunk to it?

18. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Congrats

19. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

That is one gorgeous guitar! Congrats!

20. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

I will get a jazz master some day these are nice

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.