NGD, but not sure about saddles/action

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pagedr, Aug 3, 2020.

1. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

So I purchased a Jimmy Page mirror tele last week from Pro Audio Star - they're selling B-Stock versions for $1,550 (https://www.proaudiostar.com/fender...ster-white-blonde-w-rosewood-fingerboard.html) and I've bought from them in the past with no issue so I took a shot on it. The guitar arrived today and is great, but I'm concerned about the saddle height when I lowered the action. Initially I thought it was due to the top loader bridge, so I restrung through the body but the saddles are still super low with very little break angle. Action is about 1.25mm at the 12th fret which is right about where I like it, just concerned about the saddle height on a brand new guitar. Pictures attached here. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The last tele I built was like that. I said hey its good enough but really it bothered me. The stew mac .25 shim made it perfect-yes I get that you don't want to do that to a new expensive guitar. The other option is get some shorter adjustment screws and just live with it. If it played great I would probably just leave it and not worry about it. I tend to think "break angle" is over rated.

3. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Appreciate it. Yeah, I hate having to install a shim on a brand new guitar, but it's not like I paid anywhere close to a brand new price so not sure it's worth sending it back over something that can be fixed/isn't the end of the world.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it’s fine. But you’re gonna wanna try shorter height adjustment screws. Those things sticking up like that are gonna be crazy uncomfortable.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Break angle is overrated unless you have too little of it :twisted: Jazzmaster, anyone?

Cut a strip from a thin piece (.020" or so) of hardwood veneer or an old credit card 2" long and 1/4" wide. Put it here in the neck pocket (red), reattach the neck, and proceed with the setup. That should get the saddles where you want them.

[​IMG]

Trio, Fretting out and Fender-guy like this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My luthier, a graduate of the Galloup School, put shims in two Teles of mine and it has been better since.

7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'd get shorter screws, but there's no shame in a shim.

8. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Us Jazzmaster owners are indeed used to shimming brand new guitars. I love the StewMac full pocket shims. Why they don’t angle the neck pocket on all models at Fender in these days is beyond me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.