NGD, but is it a keeper?

jim232777

Tele-Meister
First of all, let me say that I have 2 Teles that cover any *real* needs. I have a Roadworn Vintera 50s that I absolutely love, especially for the thick neck. Also have a partscaster with a humbucker. Frankly, I want something with black guard-ish looks, just for tradition sake. Since it's just so I can say I have one, it can't break the bank.

Here's the rub, though. I don't like the majority of newer butterscotch Teles I see, as they're just a drab yellow. In order for me to like them, they need to be fairly transparent, with nice ash grain showing through. Since I have the Vintera, I don't need to reproduce vintage blackguard sound, though--just need to keep the looks!

Given the rave reviews, and the fact that I like fatter necks, i thought a BSB Baja might be just the thing. Unfortunately, they're not that commonly found anymore. Plus, a lot of the pictures I've seen fall in the drab yellow/no grain category, so finding one with the looks may be difficult. The Vintera Modifieds I see are all the pastels with no ash BSB.

Last week I found a "Special Edition Deluxe Ash" that apparently is a Guitar Center thing that comes up from time to time. I got it for a $150-300 less than the typical sold listings on Reverb, As expected from various comments online, I don't care the pickups, as they're too muddy. I'm also not in love with the neck. I did some teaks to the setup, and it did OK, but the truss rod seems to be getting tight, strung with a set of 9's. I like 11's, so I worry I might have a problem with that. Finally, it's on the heavy side, at 8 lbs 11 oz. So in summary, it's OK, but not great. It does, however, have pretty nice looks. :)

So I guess I'm trying to decide...sell the Special Edition as stock and hold out for one of the few Bajas that go up for sale (hoping for a transparent finish) vs turn the Special Edition into a partscaster. I could replace the neck with something thicker, swap the pickups for something with a different sound--maybe Twisted Teles or Bootstrap Pretzels, and put in a 4-way switch. That would give me an "almost Baja".

I wonder if the Special Edition neck and pickups would sell on Facebook/CL/Reverb for any significant amount?

Opinions or suggestions? Thanks!

1660274467163.png

1660274521349.png

1660274567740.png

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'd sell it and keep looking for something closer to what you want. The body looks really nice but everything else is not up to your needs and it weighs too much. If you can get a little more than you paid, it's a win.

horax

Tele-Afflicted
Beautiful butterscotch.

Honestly, best butterscotch finishes I’ve seen are on Logan teles. His are gorgeous. I’ve not ordered one yet, but I’ve seen enough and heard enough good things to know they are legit.

1660282482064.png

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
I don't care the pickups, as they're too muddy. I'm also not in love with the neck. I did some teaks to the setup, and it did OK, but the truss rod seems to be getting tight, strung with a set of 9's. I like 11's, so I worry I might have a problem with that. Finally, it's on the heavy side, at 8 lbs 11 oz. So in summary, it's OK, but not great

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, return it.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't care the pickups, as they're too muddy. I'm also not in love with the neck. I did some teaks to the setup, and it did OK, but the truss rod seems to be getting tight, strung with a set of 9's. I like 11's, so I worry I might have a problem with that. Finally, it's on the heavy side, at 8 lbs 11 oz. So in summary, it's OK, but not great.
Why are you asking? That says it all. It’s a completely negative assessment.
Also, from personal experience, it’s a little unfulfilling to buy guitars because you’ve always wanted a particular finish etc for your ”collection”. Don’t get me wrong, many of us have done it, but if you don’t actually like the guitar it will just collect dust or sit in a case.

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
If you can still return it and get your $$$ back from GC, I would do it and then be patient and wait for the right one to come along; even if you have to spend more to get what you want. FWIW and good luck man!

1stpitch

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have one of those, which I really like, although I did put a set of Tex-Mex pickups in it. But to me, the neck is everything. I like the neck on mine; obviously you don't. Keep it whole and sell it (send it back), and keep looking for one you like.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
First of all, let me say that I have 2 Teles that cover any *real* needs. I have a Roadworn Vintera 50s that I absolutely love, especially for the thick neck. Also have a partscaster with a humbucker. Frankly, I want something with black guard-ish looks, just for tradition sake. Since it's just so I can say I have one, it can't break the bank.

Here's the rub, though. I don't like the majority of newer butterscotch Teles I see, as they're just a drab yellow. In order for me to like them, they need to be fairly transparent, with nice ash grain showing through. Since I have the Vintera, I don't need to reproduce vintage blackguard sound, though--just need to keep the looks!

Given the rave reviews, and the fact that I like fatter necks, i thought a BSB Baja might be just the thing. Unfortunately, they're not that commonly found anymore. Plus, a lot of the pictures I've seen fall in the drab yellow/no grain category, so finding one with the looks may be difficult. The Vintera Modifieds I see are all the pastels with no ash BSB.

Last week I found a "Special Edition Deluxe Ash" that apparently is a Guitar Center thing that comes up from time to time. I got it for a $150-300 less than the typical sold listings on Reverb, As expected from various comments online, I don't care the pickups, as they're too muddy. I'm also not in love with the neck. I did some teaks to the setup, and it did OK, but the truss rod seems to be getting tight, strung with a set of 9's. I like 11's, so I worry I might have a problem with that. Finally, it's on the heavy side, at 8 lbs 11 oz. So in summary, it's OK, but not great. It does, however, have pretty nice looks. :)

So I guess I'm trying to decide...sell the Special Edition as stock and hold out for one of the few Bajas that go up for sale (hoping for a transparent finish) vs turn the Special Edition into a partscaster. I could replace the neck with something thicker, swap the pickups for something with a different sound--maybe Twisted Teles or Bootstrap Pretzels, and put in a 4-way switch. That would give me an "almost Baja".

I wonder if the Special Edition neck and pickups would sell on Facebook/CL/Reverb for any significant amount?

Opinions or suggestions? Thanks!

View attachment 1016056

View attachment 1016057

View attachment 1016059

Is this what you're looking for?
It's a American Standard Ash

20220331_122929.jpg
20220331_122950.jpg

user name

Tele-Meister
You're not even past the honeymoon phase yet and there are already things you dont like. So it sounds like you should keep looking until you find the one that checks all your boxes right off the bat.

jim232777

Tele-Meister
Also, from personal experience, it’s a little unfulfilling to buy guitars because you’ve always wanted a particular finish etc for your ”collection”. Don’t get me wrong, many of us have done it, but if you don’t actually like the guitar it will just collect dust or sit in a case.

You're absolutely right on this, which is why I was up front about already having 2 guitars I love. However, I followed up with discussion of what I like/don't like about it. Perhaps it came off as "I hate it" which I don't. I definitely don't plan on having a guitar I don't enjoy playing...that's a lot of the reason for the post. On the other hand, I've read enough of this forum to know that a lot of our reasons for multiple guitars lean heavily on aesthetics and emotion, so I don't feel too guilty about this approach.

I expected going in that I would replace the pickups so that's not figuring into things.

Honestly, best butterscotch finishes I’ve seen are on Logan teles. His are gorgeous. I’ve not ordered one yet, but I’ve seen enough and heard enough good things to know they are legit.

Yes, those are nice. Since this is a "want" rather than a "need" guitar, that's somewhat more than I was thinking I would invest. The idea does open up some options, however...another builder or doing my own partscaster is possible. There is a part of me that says if I'm going for a blackguard look, having that Fender logo definitely adds to the vibe, though.

Is this what you're looking for?
It's a American Standard Ash

Nice look, but not quite. It's a bit more natural/honey than butterscotch, but not bad. Biggest thing that keeps it from being an option is I would want the traditional bridge.

It's been interesting to read the comments. I knew there would be a number of "you don't love it so sell it" answers, but I see so many people post that their guitars only have 1 or 2 original parts that I expected some keep/modify replies.

I've finished/assembled from scratch and was very pleased, but didn't want the time investment for this one. I was thinking perhaps body & hardware from this guitar, bolt on a neck from someplace like stratosphere or reverb, and put in some pickups more to my taste. Could maybe sell this neck & pups to recoup some cost. On the other hand, another body could be finished with a thinner nitro...

I see very few ash BSBs for sale, either bodies or complete guitars with a visible grain and tint this nice. What if I rethink my question to the following? My goal is
1. BSB "blackguard" look, with ash grain obvious through transparent finish
2. Economical total cost, definitely under $1000, preferably under $800. I've only got $500 in this guitar. Also have potential neck & pickups for $400 or a little less.
3. Minimize time investment. Assembly obviously OK, but prefer not to do body finishing.

The question: "Is this a good option for a body to start a partscaster?"