1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Bullet Tele, what's the catch?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by TcsMusicman, Apr 26, 2019.

1. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Mine actually has negative fret sprout.

There's about .010 inch of wood showing between my fret ends and the neck edge.

2. TcsMusicman

TcsMusicman TDPRI Member

I think our respective climates can be thanked for that. You live in a swamp, and I live in a desert :cool:

3. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Yeah but my problem is I want to smooth up my ends and roll and polish them a little and I'm going to end up with 42 little notches in my fret board.

4. stuffinplays

stuffinplays TDPRI Member

Jumping into this thread as I just received my Seafoam Bullet tele from MF (had points so I got it for a whopping $12 to my door)

Out of the box I was also surprised with how well this thing played! Crunchy sandpaper bends at first, but after "exercising" each string on the fret by bending it with a finger in three separate spaces between frets all the way up the neck, that went away pretty quick. The bridge pickup was passable and I could probably use that somewhere, maybe drop it back in later on with a humbucker I have lying around for the neck. But for now I've got a set of DiMarzio Chopper T/Cruiser split blades that are begging for a home.

Since I got it so cheap, it was my intention to throw some spare parts I had lying around into it, as well as use it as practice for fretwork and finish work. Despite it already playing well out of the box, I thought since I was going to replace the electronics, I may as well disassemble it and give it a fret level, crown and polish. I removed the finish from the back of the neck and seasoned it with a little Fret Doctor, which I've had success with on other bare maple necks. The board wood (forget the name but some sort of Indian wood?) was SUPER thirsty, and soaked up so many coats of oil before finally settling into a really attractive color and grain pattern, which dare I say might be more appealing than RW boards I've had on other "F" guitars.

Not sure if I'll do anything with the bridge, seems fine enough. I've hit it, and the control plate, with a brillo pad to give it a cool brushed chrome look... careful if you do this, the chrome is thin and exposes the underlying material quickly (copper color, not sure what the hell it is) if done too heavily.

I'm really enjoying this process, and what a fun guitar to do it with since it costs so little. Looking forward to completing it but here's what I've got so far, going to drop some black speed knobs on it with a push/pull to split the blade pups, and a 4-way switch...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

I have owned mine for over two years.
    Plays and sounds great stock.
    I would not change a thing.

6. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

To the OP. If you want to slick up that neck, get some 0000 steel wool and rub the finish. I also steel wooled the frets to smooth them out, and oiled the fretboard. great feeling neck. For $129 you can't get a better deal. I've been playing mine stock for a while, and it's fine, but I'm gonna put in a set of Bootstrap Pretzel pickups, new cap, pots, 4 way switch, and jack in a few weeks when I get back from vacation. Just a note about the steel wool...either remove the neck or cover the pickups before you use the steel wool, you don't want that mess stuck on your pickups.

7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

To really answer the question "what's the catch?"

The catch is that Fender is trying to let you fall in love with their guitars, and convince you to buy either more Squiers (I fell into that trap, 40+ times :oops:) ore one (or preferably more) of the more expensive Fender branded guitars (yep, fell for that one too, but not as many times). Fender is a commercial company... They don't make guitars just for making music, but especially for making profit.

I totally agree... Even the cheaper Squiers do stand on their own... No, they are not perfect, and NOT AS good as more expensive guitars, but they ARE good. They are certainly better than many other cheap guitars.
    A good fret job and setup go a long way...

I've played it for quite a while now, and I will replace the pickups (because I have the same pickups in another guitar) with some SD Quarter Pounders I bought a while ago. While I'm soldering, I might also replace the pots and switch.

2018 Bullet Surf Green FSR.jpg

8. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

I did that to mine too, scratched up all the hardware with 500 grit sandpaper or Scotchbrite. Really dislike the chrome look. Much prefer the worn-in, light relic look of the brushed metal.

It most likely is copper under there, it is commonly used as an under-layer before chrome plating. Interesting that there was no copper under my Squier Std bridge - perhaps a different material.

Th

9. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

I've copied you guys, I did this to my tele with one of those green pads that you scour pots and pans with, lol!
    I did the bridge plate, control plate and neck pickup cover too. They all match.
    It looks fantastic, and I also did the bubba mod with brass saddles which goes with the light relic look.
    Much improved.
    The logo came off with some adhesive remover we use in my hospital job. Gone forever.
    I will replace with a custom logo or maybe not, since I might spray some amber nitro on it.
    I'm still deciding whether to put my bigsby on, especially since it's easy now with the bubba mod.
    I haven't had this much fun since the Squier 51 I used to own.

zammie, FenderGyrl and Hiker like this.
  10. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Well, I made some changes.
    I wanted the vintage Tele bridge on this thing, and went ahead and installed one on the Bullet.
    That and a bigsby copy I've had for years. Yes, some of the old bridge holes show, but I'm not bothered.
    You can't do string through because the holes don't line up of course, but it makes no difference if you are installing a bigsby.
    It has an American Tele lead pickup as well as the original neck pickup.
    The selector switch has to go though, it is intermittent with both pickups on position, and the pots are crap. The volume control pot doesn't change much???
    I'm in Canada, and ordered this online to pickup across the border, so returning it would be wasted for the money I spent, $129 and free shipping. Plus, I know I can make it work with parts I have already.
    I've also put on some vintage Gotoh tuners I had from the 80's and it's night and day tuning.
    Even with the bigsby it stays in tune now once the strings are stretched.
    The neck on mines is fantastic, no sharp frets or buzzing all the way up.
    The finish on the body is beautiful, but it will get bashed up by me very shortly with the way I play.
    The neck will be given an amber coat of nitro laquer to finish it off.
    My bullet is a surfy, rockabilly, country and indie guitar now.:) Actually, it's like a 60's tele that I can't afford!

Attached Files:

rockymtnguitar likes this.
  11. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Oh very cool! Like the Bigsby. You've really made that guitar your own.

12. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

I love those things. A lot. They just need a little TLC, maybe a new jack, new tuners and new pots and cap.

Be careful if you want to change pickups. I remember swapping the pups on that affinity Tele only to get the original neck pickup back, loved the tone.

Squires can be wildly inconsistent, you can buy the same affinity model or bullet a couple years apart and get a completely different guitar. I know this first hand. Also, don't ask about the woods. That's the issue IMHO.

13. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    68Telebass and TequilaCaster like this.
  14. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

They are great! I was so impressed that bought a second one. I really like the pickups too.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  15. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I wish you guys wouldn't tempt me like this...... I just got through with a Tele project and had a SD 59 bridge and a stack neck pup that needs a home. The SD actually sounded good, but I was going with traditional on the project.

I actually liked the SD 59..... it was a little on the rock and roll side, but now that the traditional one is finished, I find I miss the 59. I was thinking about a new parts caster, but at that price, the Bullet is a no brainer if they are that good. I couldn't get a neck and body for that price.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Urshurak776 likes this.
  16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Amazing value or mod platform. I really like the pickups and think they will stay. Something about inexpensive ceramic single coils just does it for me. Don't know why but it saves me a lot of $$$.

Bullet complete with mods.jpg

Urshurak776 likes this.
  17. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

I'm with you. I ordered a bunch of parts for a partscaster (knotty pine body) and then saw the email for the bullet. Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one. So now I will have two tele's in progress, plus a strat kit I wanted to play with to keep in my office with a fly 3 amp. Keep me busy for a while! LOL

18. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Just ordered one of these. All I wanted was a black tele with a rosewood fretboard and single coils that isn't too expensive. After reading some posts on here I decided I'll settle for laurel.

19. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Love my Squier Bronco bass. Just crushes it. Even though it has a Strat pickup! Intonation stinks above the 12th fret, but hey, most of my bass playing is below there.

Sometimes we overthink our gear at the expense of our musical output.

20. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Really amazing deal for you, on a very good Tele! Mod to your heart's content. Congrats to you, man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.