1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Brad Paisley Road Worn Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by blindrobert, Feb 8, 2020.

1. blindrobert

blindrobert TDPRI Member

I love the neck on this thing. I'll post some profiles and measurements later, but here's a few pics of the guts.

I was very surprised (but happy) to find that the paisley pickguard was not screwed on. My plan is to change it out to a white pickguard, maybe cut down for a different look. Since they didn't screw it on, or even drill holes for the screws, that means I won't have holes showing where they aren't needed if I do a modded pickguard.

I looked at the wiring and electronic parts - CTS 250k pots, orange drop cap, all looks good.

I didn't have any issues with sticky neck that others reported. I was also thankful that the aging process didn't include any wear on the fretboard, the MIM fingerboard relicing isn't as artfully done as the CS fingerboards so I prefer that it just look new and I'll break it in myself.

I like the sparkles! And the neck!!! I almost bought a $4200 CS thinline double esquire with a 10/56 V neck - but decided to try the $900 route first. (I might still go back for that thinline!)

Attached Files:

VWAmTele, RYAN1987M, shupe13 and 10 others like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Hngd! I tried one a few years back when I was in Las Vegas. Really nice guitar. I really wanted to grab it, as it would have been a good price. Two things stopped me though, the first being a sig model, and secondly import tax.

3. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

whoa...white pg looks very nice.....clean

shupe13 and blindrobert like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Nice
    Your gonna have to try Brads new signature pickups from Seymour Duncan in it

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Is the pickguard not being screwed normal for this model?
    That’s bizarre, what was holding it on?

Foxguy, OlRedNeckHippy and nojazzhere like this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Love the sparkles. Congrats.

7. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Am I wrong, the stock pickups in these were a big part of the draw?

Have yet to hold one and only recently had any interest, but have been studying them a lot lately

8. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

I picked one of these up once and it nearly flew out of my hands and went through the ceiling because it was soooo light. Folks who have ‘em love ‘em!! So enjoy yours my friend. She certainly is beautiful.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I like it!

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    Those things are nice and light!

11. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Ditto, is that correct? The original pickguard wasn't/isn't screwed on??? Methinks someone forgot a step in the construction.....:eek:

Foxguy likes this.
  12. blindrobert

blindrobert TDPRI Member

It was just being held in place by the snug fit around the pickups and neck.

My first thought was that maybe they figured a lot of folks wouldn't dig the paisley PG and swap it out, but they didn't include any screws with the case candy. So I think it just slipped past QC...but it's a happy mistake for me, if it is a mistake. Everything else was nicely set up right out of the box.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I agree with Guitharley, that white pick guard is classy. Enjoy!

howardlo and blindrobert like this.
  14. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

@blindrobert

nice guitar - they are so light, wish i'd snagged one when i had the chance

if you aren't using that pickguard, you can always post t to me in the UK - i can find it a good home :)

15. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

These sound like great guitars - I just can’t stand that belt-sander look. I would pay an extra $100 to have them not mess the finish up.

16. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Guess I’ll be the only voice of opposition. Played one when they came out. Couldn’t get over how cheap it felt, especially for the price.
    Also not a Brad fan so maybe I was biased before even picking it up. Agree that the finish is garbage.

jh

17. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I love these guitars, and the fact that they are so light! I'd be curious about Brad's new pickups, too.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If so, that's sure a major "overlook" to slip by QC......what's next?....forget the volume and tone knobs? I see in the pics there are holes in the pickguard itself......how many people would have had to miss that? :)

Foxguy likes this.
  19. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

HNGD! I like those Paisleys except the weight--the 2 or 3 I tried were TOO light! The neck dove badly. How light is yours? Enjoy!!

blindrobert likes this.
  20. blindrobert

blindrobert TDPRI Member

Mine is coming in at about 5.75 pounds. It is light. @mugen74 - respectfully, it definitely feels light and I know my mind is biased to equate heft with quality. I have to say nothing about the guitar feels cheap, so far. It's obviously not built with the same care and level of finish as a CS guitar. And I'll say I like the finish, I think calling it garbage is unfair to Fender, maybe it's not to everyone's liking but it's well-executed and stable an it's a nitro finish. I can take or leave the relicing, but I like how it plays and sounds.

I wouldn't call the loose PG a "major" oversight. It's just an oversight and one that most people could fix for themselves in 10 minutes with a screwdriver. I wouldn't throw Fender's QC out the window completely; I'd assume they are focusing QC resources where they cost and matter more: fret finish, electronics, and setup. As I wrote previously, everything on those fronts was great, right out of the bag.

By the way, the loose PG also got past the shop that sold it to me. When it shipped, they wrote to tell me they had inspected and set it up the morning it shipped. The PG was in place when the guitar arrived - held in place by the tight fit around the neck and pickups. The grey paisley pattern camouflages the screws, check for yourself on Fender's online pics, you have to hunt for them!

I've never really understood the "neck dive" thing with electric players. I'm not saying it isn't real, but I'm not sure I get what the issue is. For instance, this guitar weighs under 6 pounds; how much can the neck really be diving and how much strength could it possibly require on the player's part to keep it balanced up where you want it? Especially given that the body is maybe 2/3 of the weight and you are balancing it from a strap button located on the upper horn - roughly at the halfway point of the instrument length. Please explain for me - is the "neck dive" issue just an annoyance thing (that the guitar doesn't balance hands-free) or is it a fatigue thing?

Almost every well-made acoustic has a heavier neck than body and I don't recall ever hearing acoustic folks talking about neck dive as an issue.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    MickM, moosie and TelePlank like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.