NGD. Bought a mystery! Explorer natural mahogany solid 2 piece guitar. Vintage 70s 80s. No name

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GreenMagicMan, Jan 14, 2020.

1. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Mine was solid wood, And the Hondos were solid wood as well.

And the seam was similar.

Yours may have had a headstock issue or break at some point, and that outer seam wood may have been replaced.

That could be why the overlay is missing and the wood looks so different.

If there was not an issue at some point it would very very unlikely the prior owner would remove the overlay.

2. GreenMagicMan

GreenMagicMan Tele-Meister

That does make sense what you're saying. I will relook up Hondos. Did they make natural mahogany?
    Here's 3 pics of 1977 - 1980 estimated Fernandes FEX70 'explorer' type guitar that was sold on reverb. The headstock seam looks almost identical.
    Fernandes also made the "Burny" label as well for all their early Gibson clones.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. GreenMagicMan

Here's a 1979 Burny Fernandes Explorer back headstock detail. All these guitars had black finished front of headstock. I figured if there was no black in the truss rod routed area this guitar couldn't be one of these: Burny Fernandes FEX70 1979 natural Explorer back headstock.jpg

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

That one does have a serial stamped on it below the d/g tuners. Does yours have that or perhaps an area that would like it were removed at some point?

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. GreenMagicMan

I've checked that area. Does not seem to be any indication there was ever a serial number on the headstock - or that it was erased. Close inspection it's very evident finish was indeed removed from headstock. The top of the headstock as you sit looking down has mismatched finish - finish original and missing sanded off finish in same plane.
    Also, it's very clear the back of headstock is original finish. It matched the neck perfectly so i don't think this was a neck repair but the original wood design.
    There does seem to a sticky residue in that back lower headstock area, not sure if maybe a sticker was removed at some point, perhaps brand / serial info??
    Here are pics of that area you can see the finish is clearly removed. You can also see some black paint remnants. DSC_0204 Explorer mahogany Vermont mystery day top finish removed headstock.JPG DSC_0205 Explorer mahogany Vermont mystery day top finish removed headstock.JPG
    DSC_0208 Explorer mahogany Vermont mystery day top finish removed headstock.JPG DSC_0207 Explorer mahogany Vermont mystery day top finish removed headstock.JPG DSC_0206 Explorer mahogany Vermont mystery day top finish removed headstock.JPG

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Researching provenance is fun.
    Just don’t wind up liking it less if it turns out to be something you didn’t think it was.
    I think it’s a cool refin guitar.
    I’d rock the snot out of it.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like Matsumoko product. Aria or Yamaha. Aria Pros had better wood and fittings like this one plus the cream coils.

Not a Gibson.

Zepfan likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool guitar, good luck with the ID but that uncommon headstock seam seems pretty burny.

GreenMagicMan likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

AD952908-5F33-4A77-919F-EB135F058BF5.jpeg ‘80s Gibson seam

10. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

+1 on Matsumoko which is a very good thang IMB. The codes on the pots could indicate MIJ as well tho I'd have to see a pic or two.
    Regardless, it looks like a Fab guitar - Congrats! And, I believe some Allen Collins and Co. is in order -

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Zepfan likes this.
  11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Looks to me like those dark marks may be cigarette burns. Cool guitar!

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Not a Gibby. I second Dacious and 2 Headed Goat on a Japanese offering. Pickups look early 80's Japan to me. Good guitars.

13. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

In your bottom photo at the seam it looks like the darker wood is rising up,
    which may indicate that part was transplanted on.

Regardless, here is a pic of a Hondo

[​IMG]

14. GreenMagicMan

That's a nice looking Hondo. Thanks for the pic - I've never seen a Hondo look like that.

15. GreenMagicMan

Yes all, I do think it's Japanese vintage. And I'm not unhappy in that at the least! I've been gathering a small collection of Japanese guitars from 60s to 80s, mostly early 80s. I love them.
    Chasing this one, and going to see it, I was fairly suspect it was a late 70s early 80s Fernandes / Burny MIJ.
    (Incidentally, the original 1976 Gibson Explorer has a horizontal seam in the headstock - same direction as mine, however, every picture I've seen of those the seam is much closer to the tuners - almost underneath the 3 at the end of the guitar).
    I will try to get better glimpses and pics of the caps area. But I do have some pics I can post now:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.