NGD! Bob Logan Blackguard.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 8barlouie, Jul 2, 2020.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I finally got it from Bob very recently. Been so busy I’ve only had a chance just in the last couple nights to play it. I’m very satisfied! The workmanship is above its weight class. Especially the neck work! He starts with a solid foundation of a top quality premanufactured neck, but it’s what he does with it that makes all the difference. I know there’s no way any neck manufacturer turns out a neck like this. No way. The workmanship is exquisite. The rest ain’t too shabby either. I love the fact that the wood is allowed to be the star of the show on the body. Bob is a gentleman and a pleasure to work with. He always replied to my many questions quickly and informatively. Special thanks to the Logan owners for all the opinions especially @LGOberean I would never have known of him otherwise. Here’s a few for starters

1EF53DB8-244C-45FE-861E-4ACCE6D675F2.jpeg 0999544B-A9B7-494E-8582-30AD01DF437D.jpeg BCD4DE2B-B9D3-482E-9B6F-02602C39AFDD.jpeg

Nubs, teletimetx, Jakedog and 14 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

8barlouie likes this.
  3. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That's an intense grain, congrats!

8barlouie likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Very cool!

I had the pleasure of checking out Bob’s workshop a few years ago since he’s not too far from where I live. Super nice guy who does great work. I’d take his stuff over similarly priced Fenders any day.

8barlouie likes this.
  5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wowza! Beautiful, congrats. Did you notice it's backwards? :p

Jakedog, 8barlouie, djh22 and 3 others like this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Very nice, man. Enjoy!

8barlouie likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Meister

Very nice, congratulations.

8barlouie likes this.
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice!! Congratulations and enjoy.

8barlouie likes this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

There’s always a smart bottom that says that!, I’m just mad you beat me to it

The guitar does look nice

8barlouie likes this.
  10. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Looks great!

8barlouie likes this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Classic tele looks, with eye-catching wood grains. Congrats! :D

I was checking out the Logan Custom owners' club thread a little while ago, and I didn't see your NLCGD (New Logan Custom Guitar Day) announcement there. A post about this guitar would be most welcome there.

What are the specs? It looks like it has vintage style split shaft tuners, and the color finish is classic. It looks more Honey Blonde than Butterscotch blonde to me (I have Logan teles with both finishes). Neck profile, radius? Pickups? Switching? And I absolutely agree about Bob's workmanship when it comes to the neck.

8barlouie likes this.
  12. LGOberean

The lefty vs. righty guitar orientation has been discussed many times on TDPRI, in various threads over the years. So I've said this before, but I'm a southpaw that plays right-handed.

I started in 1967, but playing righty wasn't forced upon me. But at that time, it was very much a right-handed world, and I'd never seen a guitar with left-handed orientation. My Dad played guitar, and so guitars were readily available to me to start learning on.

Honestly, it didn't even occur to me to flip the guitar over or to re-string it. (I had yet to see pics of Jimi Hendrix. I don't think I even knew who he was in 1967. That would come a year later.)

In previous discussions, I think I remember reading a comment by @8barlouie that it never occurred to him to try playing righty. What felt natural to him didn't even occur to me. I guess the principal reason for that was I just figured it was a right-handed world, and if I wanted to play guitar, playing righty was the price of admission.

No regrets. It worked out well for me. And I would imagine @8barlouie that finding Bob is a great resource for you.

Jakedog and 8barlouie like this.
  13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My story is very similar, lefty playing right handed. At one point i seriously considered switching to playing left-handed but decided it would be a lot of relearning what i already know. I'll never know if i would have been a left-handed savant but i really enjoy playing so i will leave well enough alone.

Jakedog, 8barlouie and LGOberean like this.
  14. LGOberean

@Controller exactly. "Leave well enough alone." My Dad traveled a lot in those days, so by the time he noticed my interest, I'd been playing (or at least that's what I called it at the time) for a couple of months. He actually restrung his Harmony archtop for me, but by that time it just felt weird to me. So he restrung it again to its original orientation, and let me use his guitar to learn on.

I never had delusions of being a child prodigy, or an idiot savant. (I did worry that I might be an idiot.) And I gave up dreams of being a rock star half a century ago. I play for me, first and foremost. I may be nothing special at it, but I love it, and it's cheaper than therapy. If anyone else happens to listen and enjoy it, well, that's just icing on the cake.

So in the words of Boston, I "don't look back."

Controller and 8barlouie like this.
  15. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congrats & enjoy!

8barlouie likes this.
  16. 8barlouie

34D45BB0-1A43-41B8-8545-7EFB196261E9.jpeg

Here is a shot of the back. It’s so beautiful to my eye.
    It’s a butterscotch blonde, but more transparent which lets more of the wood shine through.
    The specs are

9.5” radius
    Thick standard neck (.87-.92). Perfect for me.
    Vintage split tuners
    Vintage tall frets
    Black Bakelite pickguard
    Wilkinson vintage bridge with compensated brass saddles
    4 way switching with position 4 in series
    Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. (I almost hesitated on these because I thought they might be too hot. They’re great. )
    Setup for 11s. I currently have a set of EXL115s on it.
    Also, it sustains for days and I actually love the way it sounds unplugged. (But that was another thread ;))

17. 8barlouie

Just as is the case with many things in life, there is no single right answer. We all do the best we can with our own sensibilities. And you’re right about Bob being a resource for the long haul.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a lefty myself but play right handed, my father pretty much “encouraged” me to play righty as guitars are more abundant that way

I kind of thank him because of all the choices I have but I also think it’s a detriment because my dexterity isn’t as good as I think it would be lefty, and when I was born my fretting hand was all shriveled and purple from some sort of palsy, it’s okay now but I have two index fingers, one where it should be and my ring finger

It’s like an alien hand

I get along okay though

MattMrdck likes this.
  19. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Very nice looking guitar. What pickups? Nitrolacquer?

8barlouie likes this.
  20. 8barlouie

Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. Yes, it’s a thin nitro finish with no filler.

stefanhotrod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.