NGD: Baja Telecaster

Diminished7

TDPRI Member
There’s actually a 50’s Baja weight database/thread on here somewhere

Most are in the 8 and up range I’d say that light is definitely an outlier

What a sweet Baja

I think the newer vinteras are satin on the neck if I’m not mistaken

Maybe thinking of the road worn series??? Even the new standard vinteras are poly or at least the ones I've had in hand.

hemingway

Doctor of Teleocity
I own 2 of them, both are heavier and both show less wood grain. In fact, I have never seen one show that much grain beneath the finish. Look at the neck pocket, is there a gap between the neck and side of the pocket big enough to stick a penny into? Every Baja I have played had a larger than normal gap compared to other telecasters.
Yeah, that's a very thin finish for a Baja body. It got my spidey senses tingling.

Fuggle

Tele-Meister
That's a killer weight. Mine is 8.6 lbs and is my heaviest guitar. I found an identical Baja on Reverb that was a full pound lighter and was priced to sell, so I pulled the trigger. I figured I could easily sell the one I already owned. Funny thing, although the lighter weight was awesome, I just didn't bond with it. Sold it two weeks later for a loss. I guess the grass isn't always greener...

bholder

Tele-Holic
Just picked this up this evening. It’s been 20 years since I last owned a telecaster (some regret in letting that go). Anyway this is the lightest solid body guitar I’ve had yet (7lb 3oz). Love the chunky neck and the overall feel of the guitar. Not had chance to plug it into my own amp yet but super happy so far. For some reason I thought the neck on these was satin not gloss but I’m ok either way.
If you have a gloss neck and you would prefer satin, there's an easy, cheap solution:

NA596_1.jpg

Diminished7

TDPRI Member
That's a killer weight. Mine is 8.6 lbs and is my heaviest guitar. I found an identical Baja on Reverb that was a full pound lighter and was priced to sell, so I pulled the trigger. I figured I could easily sell the one I already owned. Funny thing, although the lighter weight was awesome, I just didn't bond with it. Sold it two weeks later for a loss. I guess the grass isn't always greener...

Lighter wood does not always make a better guitar. I find the Bajas to be extremely great and consistent and those have all been 8 - 8.5 lbs.

Same with LP's... just because it's sub 9lbs doesn't make it a good LP. Just don't bring this up with the LP crowd because then they can't mark up their sub 9lb guitar by 1k and some rambling about "good wood year".

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Just picked this up this evening. It’s been 20 years since I last owned a telecaster (some regret in letting that go). Anyway this is the lightest solid body guitar I’ve had yet (7lb 3oz). Love the chunky neck and the overall feel of the guitar. Not had chance to plug it into my own amp yet but super happy so far. For some reason I thought the neck on these was satin not gloss but I’m ok either way.
Lovely.
I got one in 2011.
I had one that was really light, sustained for fun, a real keeper, but a week in, the neck pickup stopped working, so (stupidly) I took it back and instead of letting them fix it, I took a replacement. I love the one I've got, but sorely regret not keeping the first one.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Yeah, that's a very thin finish for a Baja body. It got my spidey senses tingling.
the finish doesn't look thin, it looks a bit further on the transparent side of translucent than the opaque side. The body also doesn't exhibit the cathedral grain that one usually sees on the flatsawn ash that fender usually uses on butterscotch bodies. OP never said how old it is, what does Fender even use on new 50's Vintera blonde teles, is it pine? On the fender website, at the current time they are only offering a couple of opaque colors and a burst, the pictures of the burst show that it's probably ash, but the specs say alder.

I'm not convinced that this OP's body is ash. I do think it's pretty though.

Fuggle

Tele-Meister
the finish doesn't look thin, it looks a bit further on the transparent side of translucent than the opaque side. The body also doesn't exhibit the cathedral grain that one usually sees on the flatsawn ash that fender usually uses on butterscotch bodies. OP never said how old it is, what does Fender even use on new 50's Vintera blonde teles, is it pine? On the fender website, at the current time they are only offering a couple of opaque colors and a burst, the pictures of the burst show that it's probably ash, but the specs say alder.

I'm not convinced that this OP's body is ash. I do think it's pretty though.
Bajas are ash. Blonde Vintera Modifieds were ash, now they're alder.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
If anyone wishes to tap into guitar weight obsession, somewhere on TDPRI there's a very long thread where Baja owners append the weight of their Bajas to a list.

AustinPaul

Tele-Meister
I took one in on a partial trade from a buyer. He kinda shrugged his shoulders and asked me if he tossed in a baja Tele, would it work, as though it had little value. Other than someone before him put a flatter/thinner neck on it, I really like it. It's definitely no lightweight, but it's always been a solid choice for me to pick up.

Congrats!

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Nice one! Definitely light for a Baja. Not sure if I've seen one that light before. Most IME are right on the 8 +/- range
That’s exactly what I was thinking, but the 60s Bajas were lighter as I recalls. I had a bright red 60s and regretted selling it immediately after I shipped it. Haven’t seen one like it since.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Very nice. I love how the wood grain comes through more clearly than on most Bajas. The heavy butterscotch finish is one of the few things I don't love about my Baja. Mine is right around 8 lbs which is perfectly fine with me. It's actually a touch lighter than my ash Strat.