1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Baja! and I'm floored!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleToTheRain, Mar 22, 2012.

1. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

I've had a Tele before, but it was a bastard with HBs, etc. maybe even a... get ready to cringe.... Floyd Rose! (I won't go into it :eek:) Just got my Baja and I can't stop playing it! I've never felt this way about a guitar before! I have a Strat, a Gretsch, a LP, etc., and while I pick them up often to play, it's always been because of the desire to play music, while this is something different, there's a connection with the guitar itself. I've heard you guys talk about that special bond but I don't think I've felt it before in my 16 years of playing. I tried some SRV & Hendrix, neck p/u can do it no problem, tried some Rockabilly in the middle position, bam!, no problem.. even Van Halen with the bridge p/u engaged and even pinched harmonics ring out effortlessly! Where have you been all my life Tele?! Maybe it's just NGD syndrome, but I'm truly amazed. I feel like this is most likely going to be my go to guitar from now on.

Ok, I just read over that and I sound stupid, but whatever, I'm giddy, ok, I've put it down for too long, back at it!

2. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

And now you know! Enjoy it!

3. skillet

skillet Tele-Meister

Congrats, sound like you found a winner.

4. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats, and Enjoy!

What color, and is it a 2011, or 2012 model? :D

5. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I know exactly how you feel-from another very happy Baja owner. Enjoy.

6. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

Congrats!

7. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

thanks! I believe it's a 2009. Got a great deal on it used, just needs a little TLC. It's Desert Sand, I know it's not the most popular color, but it's a big reason why I liked it.

8. TexasTwang

TexasTwang Tele-Meister

awesome! it's currently 4:28pm and i'm just sitting here, waiting for my ups man to deliver my 2006 desert sand baja today!

9. GuitarJim

GuitarJim TDPRI Member

Sounds like a great guitar. Contracts.

JC

10. GuitarJim

GuitarJim TDPRI Member

I hate auto correct.... Congrats.....

11. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Glad you like it. Congrats.

12. 28mistertee

28mistertee Tele-Meister

Welcome to the world of Desert Sand, I've had mine for a fortnight now and feel exactly the same as u do. Congrats. :)

13. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

the waiting is the hardest part! let us know how you like er when she comes in!

only thing is, mine's 9lbs! It's heavier than my Epi LP! Sounds great though, and doesn't bother my back, so for now, who cares. More evidence to me that light and resonant isn't necessarily "better", just more cork sniffing. I have a strat that's relatively light, resonant, nitro, etc. and A/B'ing them, they both sound great, just different which is why I wanted a Tele in the first place.

I've never understood people referring to a guitar as a "dog" when comparing it to others of the same model, etc. In terms of quality, yes, but not in terms of sound. I often hear people saying that they A/B'd two of the same model, let's say a 52' RI, and one was amazing while the other was a dog.... really? sure it wasn't old strings, pickup height, etc.? I've had guitars I didn't think sounded good, but after a proper setup, I loved.

I've spent a long time trying to build the "perfect" "Partscasters" ...some good, some not so good. The further along I get the more I realize how a guitar needs to be seen as a whole, not just the sum of it's parts. Guess the stars were aligned on this one.

14. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Listen to him ... bo knows!

15. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Only a couple minor complaints / observations:

I was surprised that neither pickup is RWRP for hum cancelling in the middle... but whatever, just more old school! I'm digging the Twisted Tele & Broadcaster though big time!

My saddles are a bit tweaked, (bent screw, B string sitting on height adjustment screw!) so I treated her to some Glendales.

I may also rip out the S-1 stuff as I'm not a fan of out of phase sounds. I do like the "series" option on the 4-way, but it is a bit muddy.... time will tell if I use it and/or it bothers me since all the way up isn't the neck by itself, which I'm kinda used to. Other than that, I don't want to mod it, but it was missing the jack cup so I just got an electrosocket instead.

The tuners (I'm assuming they're Ping) rattle a little, but it's not like you can hear them plugged in and guitar seems to hold tune pretty well, so I'm not in too much of a hurry to do anything about that. In comparing them to my Gotoh's the spacing seems to be different anyway, so not sure if replacing them will be more of a hassle than they're worth.

Oh well, I'm not completely happy unless I tweak something a little.... haha

16. electrablue

electrablue Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

17. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I went into GC today to play one, and they said they can't get 'em for the stores; gotta get it online. I just wanted to play one; wasn't gonna buy it. I swear.

18. TexasTwang

TexasTwang Tele-Meister

just got mine! oh my gosh, it sounds so garage with a tad of overdrive and reverb! i love it. the neck pickup has so much snap to it its unbelievable! the one thing is that i have fret buzz, not a ton of it, the guy at gc said the neck needed some relief, relief or tightening, and said he would do it, i dont know if he did, i'll call him right now.

19. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Aint nothing better > when the rite one comes along and she feels damn good in your hands. Player with lots of TLC, and congrats!

20. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

The Baja is the best guitar coming out of Fender Mexico. The neck alone, let alone the great pups and trick wiring. :D
    It will need to be set up, I live down the road from Fender, and only a few hours from the Baja, Ensenada factory and I still needed to adjust mine. The RWRP thing would reduce the hum, but I prefer the sound of non RWRP. Try the S1 for a bit before you swap it out-Im glad I left mine in. Tuners shouldnt rattle though.

We are waiting for pics, btw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.