NGD - AVRI

John C

Friend of Leo's
That’s odd because my AO 50’s has a 9.5” radius And not compound
At least that’s what’s advertised anyway. I’ve not measured it though.

Got news for ya. After pouring over the Pinecaster data I’ve found something I didn’t know:
Many, many extant Esquire, Broadcaster and Nocaster guitars were 9.5” radius Some were even 7.25/9.5 inch compound radius necks. The 7.25” boards didn’t start showing up until the Blackguard era. So the blanket statement that 7.25” is vintage holds no water at all.

Very true - it's not super common knowledge but it has been noted before that the radius was flatter for those very early models. As you say they seem to standardize to the 7.25" radius in the Blackguard era circa 1952-ish and is used for 30 years on most Fender guitars (notable exception being the Tele Deluxe of 1972-1981 that was 12" radius) until they move to a 12" radius on the Standard and Elites in 1983. So I think everyone is still going to consider 7.25" to be the de facto "vintage radius" even if it only does not apply to a percentage of the first 6,000 or so Fender instruments made between 1950 and 1954.

You'll probably find that the nut width is another thing that moved over the years, with the standard width being mostly 1.625" but some of those early ones were slightly wider or slightly narrower.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Ah a lefty, even harder to find. A pro set-up after 17 years would be in order, if nothing but to verify its spot on to match the looks. Def a HNGD