NGD - AVRI

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
Got this 2005 AVRI for a steal:

IMG_20220701_163643316.jpg

IMG_20220701_163652530.jpg

IMG_20220701_163709654.jpg

It came with all of the case candy, and the case still had the protective plastic on the hardware. It's a 17-year-old guitar that looks like it's never seen the light of day.

Last edited:

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
The neck pickup is much darker than on my AO. Do these come stock with the original, muddy wiring? I may have to upgrade the harness . . .

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
The neck pickup is much darker than on my AO. Do these come stock with the original, muddy wiring? I may have to upgrade the harness . . .
Yup, original wiring, easy mod that a lot do. Cheaper than a harness change, unless you want to go that route.

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
Love it!
Comparing the necks of the AO and AVRI, how similar or different are they?
My initial impression is that the AVRI is a little thinner, a little flatter (maybe a vintage radius instead of a compound radius on the AO?), and a little wider.

I'd be curious to see the specs of each to compare my impressions to the reality. But it's certainly a different feel.

John C

Friend of Leo's

My initial impression is that the AVRI is a little thinner, a little flatter (maybe a vintage radius instead of a compound radius on the AO?), and a little wider.

I'd be curious to see the specs of each to compare my impressions to the reality. But it's certainly a different feel.

Congrats - that's a time capsule guitar for sure! If you got all the case candy there should be the wiring components and instructions to convert it from vintage to modern wiring.

Yes, the AVRIs were vintage (7.25") radius and the AOs were the flatter 9.5" radius.

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic

That’s odd because my AO 50’s has a 9.5” radius And not compound
At least that’s what’s advertised anyway. I’ve not measured it though.
Yes, the AVRIs were vintage (7.25") radius and the AOs were the flatter 9.5" radius.
Got news for ya. After pouring over the Pinecaster data I’ve found something I didn’t know:
Many, many extant Esquire, Broadcaster and Nocaster guitars were 9.5” radius Some were even 7.25/9.5 inch compound radius necks. The 7.25” boards didn’t start showing up until the Blackguard era. So the blanket statement that 7.25” is vintage holds no water at all.