NGD AV58

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PATCH, Jun 16, 2013.

1. PATCH

PATCH TDPRI Member

Here is my new AV58! the story...

The beginning: 2011 Baja that I liked but didn't love. A little heavy, liked the neck but found the sound a little thin, lacking low end. I took it to the best guitar tech in the area and he got it to play well but it was still uninspiring. Put the neck on a MJT body with a set of Fred Stuart Blackguards and a 4 way switch. Played and sounded great. Eventually I found that I preferred a 7.25 radius and so started the search for something new, a Nocaster or so I thought.

The search: I tried to play as many guitars as I could get my hands on for over a year. The Nocasters I liked were more than I wanted to spend (mainly because I wont buy another guitar without playing it first and all the local ones I've tried were 2700+). I played many AV52RIs, 52 Hot Rods, an orig 68, 73 and even an original 53 ( only unplugged, neck was well worn and wasn't as big as a new Nocaster). I even took home a Les Paul with a fat fifties style neck thinking that maybe a Tele isn't what I'm looking for. That lasted a week.

The Guitar: Out of the box the set up was very good. Action, intonation, string spacing were great. Weighed it the next day, 6.57lbs. I had tried another AV58 about a month earlier and the high E string was sitting at the edge of the fret board. Bad enough that I pretty much dismissed the 58s as I've read others having the same problem.

Sound: At home I was able to turn it up and was surprised how good it sounded. Both pickups, all three positions sounded great actually. At the store, my thought was that it might be too bright with the steel saddles. There was a lot noise there and it was hard to get a good feeling about the pickups plus I've got the Fred Stuarts I could always throw in there if I didn't like them. The stock pickups sound fantastic and will be staying, they're that good (not that the FS Blackguards suck, they're great pickups as well. Maybe a new neck for the MJT...*)

Neck: Love it! I was able to try a Custom Shop tele with a fat, nocaster like neck along with the AV58. I have fairly large, strong hands and thought I could eventually get use to the nocaster neck but as soon as switched back to the AV58 my search was over. *I would like to try the new AV52 once one comes in locally, to see how it compares.

Apology: I've been lurking without contributing for way too long. My excuse; senior dog care. As my Beagle started getting older I tried to spend as much time as I could with her everyday. I'm fortunate to have a flexible work schedule which allowed me to often work from home. For the last few years there were long hikes every day, lots of outdoor time and pretty much not having to leave her alone for more than a few hours a day. TDPRI was my outlet at the end of a long day after she would go to sleep. I would be too tired to compose a comprehendible response that anyone, myself include, would want to read. She passed in December a few months after she turned 15.

Attached Files:

2. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Looks great, sharp companion (sorry for the loss), welcome, grats!

3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitar there & no apologies needed: beautiful beagle & sorry for your loss there.

4. furtherpale

furtherpale Former Member

awesome guitar.... i have an AV 65 jazzmaster in my future (the real one has always been my dream with the binding and dots, but no way can i afford/justify one).

sorry to hear about your friend passing, i just lost a pet too young

5. Robert.V

Robert.V Tele-Meister

Very cool guitar...
    Congrats!!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using TDPRI

6. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

That is one great looking Tele, congrats.

7. Terry O'Malley

Terry O'Malley Tele-Holic

Great guitar, great dog too.....

Sorry to hear your beagle has passed..........

Hope you enjoy the guitar and your best friend can enjoy the after life! RIP.

8. Danos

Danos Tele-Meister

Absolutely beautiful guitar. It's giving me GAS!

Sorry to hear about your dog. I love beagles, I grew up with a pair of them and they're awesome companions.

9. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Congratulations on finding a tele you'll enjoy. With the huge selection of bodies
    and necks Fender makes, there's something for everyone. I think they do it on purpose to get you to buy more

I's so sorry for your loss. :cry: We went through that last year withy our's older
    pets last year too. We have a couple new pups now, but still miss our babies.:)

Welcome. Glad you joined in.

10. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

sweet tele! my condolences on the loss of your beloved beagle...:(

11. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Beautiful 58 Patch congrats.

Sorry about your dog, sounds like you did right by her.

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice. Congrats and welcome aboard.

13. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Wish we lived in a world where dogs never got old.... Sorry.

HNGD! That is a nice one. Glad you found the one.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  14. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

Enjoy the guitar. I had to put down my 12 year old King Charles Cavalier Spaniel when he developed a tumor behind his eye. Little guy was the best happy shadow a man could ask for.

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Great writeup, congrats!

Sorry about your pal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.