NGD - AV52 and Travelling Amp Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Keymaster13, Jan 24, 2017.

1. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

It's a guitar, not a fragile piece of whatever. Just play it and if it gets scratched, chipped, dinged, so be it. SO many people overthink caring for guitar finishes. If you are worried about a nitro finish you should have bought a poly-finished guitar. No difference in caring for a nitro finished guitar over a poly finished guitar. If you feel so inclined to do so, wipe it down with a dry old-shirt once in a while. If you're anal retentive get some polish. Spend more time playing, less time worrying.

Keymaster13 likes this.
  2. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Totally agree with you, I am a bit anal retentive when it comes to expensive investments in general. Especially when I see these guitars as so darn nice looking. I did want to go with a nitro finished guitar so that it ages a bit more naturally. I actually think a wear mark or a ding here or there is going to be good therapy for me. :)

kurtmanifest1 likes this.
  3. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Sorry to say, Fender's current "nitro" doesn't really wear any more naturally than a poly finish. It's not the nitro that existed in the 50's, etc. Whatever Fender uses seems to chip and flake really easily (kind of like poly, only softer). I think Gibosn does a much better job with their version of nitro. Either way, who cares?! It's all about why you bought the guitar...to play it or to stare out it and keep it in a glass care to admire it?. If you want a durable finish you're going to be disappointed. If you don't like a guitar that easily chips and dings, you're in for a disappointment.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Keymaster13 likes this.
  4. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Agree with the above. It definitely chips and flakes more so than wears down. I've had a 56 strat for a few years and there are a couple spots where the paint just popped off. no big deal, but just letting you know what to expect. so don't sweat the finish too much and enjoy your awesome guitar

Keymaster13 likes this.
  5. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, I will definitely enjoy it and embrace every scratch, blemish or paint chip and just play it! I appreciate all the knowledge on this forum, its the first forum I have ever been active on, its really a fantastic community.

Also, given the state of my Facebook feed for the past several months, its probably one of the few sane sites on the internet these days!

Cheers!

kurtmanifest1 likes this.
  6. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I bought my first one in 2012 when the new series was released.I bought a second one this year because she was just such a great one that I was compelled to buy despite already having one...now I have 2 great ones.I have them both set up the same.Here is the older one with some wear and tear:

16295462_10208397306438450_1400243669_n.jpg
    16344071_10208397299518277_125471217_n.jpg
    16344346_10208397307718482_1379691248_n.jpg

Keymaster13 and kurtmanifest1 like this.
  7. deep

deep Tele-Meister

[​IMG]Coincidentally I'm also travelling for a year in Africa with my 52 RI Thinskin Tele, the one in he profile pic. Im in Uganda now. The amp I have with me is the Yamaha THR10C. Its a helluva amp! Small enought to fit in my bag and great tubelike tone and feel. I also own a Pignose and a Roland Microcube but the Yamaha is so much better than both those two. The THR10C has ended my quest for the ultimate portable practice/studio amp at low reasonable volumes.

Do yourself a favor and get the THR10C right away, you can thank me later!

Here it is:

[​IMG] https://flic.kr/p/Rjz7fG

RadioFM74 and Keymaster13 like this.
  8. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I'll also recommend the THR10. When I travelled for work, I would go to a new city every 3 months, usually living out of AirB&B rentals or extended stay hotels, and everything had to fit into my car. I took the THR10 with me. Worked incredibly well. I had owned the amp for a while before hitting the road again for work and knew what it was all about and loved it as a coffee table amp. Also is great for recording into your laptop while on the road. I had my laptop, the THR1o and an Apogee Jam interface and you can do awesome stuff with such little gear when you're on the road.

Keymaster13 likes this.
  9. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

20170125_142033.jpg If you want to experience that Tele's roots. A Tweed Deluxe will get you pretty much there. Here is my '52 and amps.

RadioFM74 and Keymaster13 like this.
  10. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Fantastic looking teles!! The look well loved! :)

sonny wolf likes this.
  11. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

That is a beautiful sight! Wish could carry those with me!

12. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Ok, I went to a couple stores tonight. The second had a demo version of the Yamaha THR10C but they wouldn't sell to me. :( Really cool though, I had a chance to mess around with it. That said, I made an impulse buy with the Line6 AMPLIFi30 after trying about 5-6 different small scale amps. It doesn't sound half bad and has a ton of options as well as bluetooth capability.

I am going to give it a run for a couple weeks to see how I like it but so far it seems adequate (and small enough). If anyone has some experience with it would love your thoughts.

If it ends up not meeting needs, I will go back and order the Yamaha!

13. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the amp with the guitar and case for reference.

RadioFM74 and CFFF like this.
  14. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

One more and it's time for bed.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  15. deep

deep Tele-Meister

How does the Line6 sound? It looks kinda bulky compared to THR's.

16. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

To me, it sounds pretty comparable to the THR but I have just barely scratched the surface of the options on both of these amps so take it for what it is worth. It is a little taller and thicker than the THR but also not as long. I also liked that the THR has handles and the Line6 does not so I need to repurpose a laptop case to carry it around. I am going to give it a try next week and make a call.

Overall my research tells me that the Yamaha has been pretty tried and true for many folks while the Line6 is putting some new concepts out there and also battling some perceptions of inferior sound. To my ears, I though the two products sound comparable, they both are the same price as well.

Just my $.02.

Edit - the Line6 is pretty light though so carrying it isn't too much of an issue.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    RadioFM74 and deep like this.
  17. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Update - Just ordered a Yamaha THR10 with the carry bag. Per your point, it is a bit more portable than the Line6 and this is important to me.

I also have been watching a ton of videos on the THR, it seems like such a great little amp. Hoping to get it next week, I will post a side by side pic.

deep and RadioFM74 like this.
  18. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Did myself a favor and ordered the THR. It is pretty amazing the props this little amp gets. Thanks for the suggestion!

RadioFM74 likes this.
  19. stratman82

stratman82 Tele-Meister

Congrats on the new guitar! I did the same as you a couple of weeks ago and got an AV 52 after playing more "modern" guitars for years. It might even be my no.1 now! It's not about the vintage spec per se, it's about the setup.

20. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Nice, congrats to you as well. Post a pic of yours!

I still need to set it up. Going to work on that this week. Action was good out of box but intonation is a bit off and the neck needs a little adjustment. Nothing major.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.