NGD! Any love for Godin out there??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Chris Blaze, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Chris Blaze

Chris Blaze TDPRI Member

Thought I'd share this here: I recently picked up a Godin Multiac Nylon SA. I went into GC on the last day my coupon was valid in hopes of finding a small, travel-sized practice amp. Instead I ventured into the acoustic room against my better judgment and saw this beauty tucked away in the corner of the premium guitars.

I picked it up and was shocked by how heavy it is; it's not heavy like a Les Paul, but more than I thought a thin body acoustic should weigh (and it's chambered, but mahogany). The neck feels absolutely wonderful, it's got that flat radius innate to traditional classical guitars but the nut width is 1 7/8" and not 2" like the other traditional classical guitars so you have the option of wrapping your thumb up top or tucking it behind the neck. 25.5" scale length helps increase the tension on the strings so this can be played like a steel string while providing a great way for steel string players to have a nylon string guitar in their arsenal. I first learned guitar on a nylon string guitar so this brought me back full circle and I felt right at home. I plugged into a small Acoustic brand amp and was blown away by the lush and chimey tones from every chord and phrase played. The fit and finish of everything is so beautiful. I can't comment on the synth access portion yet, but I'm excited to grab a Roland GR55 and play around with that. Acoustically it probably falls somewhere between those Stratacoustic guitars and maybe an Ovation guitar, sounds good but even better plugged in. The provided gig bag was pretty nice too, thick padding and lined nicely. Without further ado, here are some pics.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1405013230.466735.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1405013244.950408.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1405013257.573859.jpg

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Those are cool guitars. Always wanted to check out a steel-string version.
    Years ago, I had a Godin electric. I forget the model number, but it was a single cutaway and had two Duncan P90s in it. Had a great neck, if I recall, and was built like a tank. Sold it to buy an AC15, I think.

3. Dingbat

Dingbat Friend of Leo's

I do like Godins. Nice Canadian guitars and innovative too.

4. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Habib Koite from Mali uses one of these. Great for copping kora licks through a Jazz Chorus. Pretty sure Vieux Farka Toure (Ali's kid) rocks one as well.
    Congrats!

5. Zwerewolf

Zwerewolf TDPRI Member

Electric Godin's

I like the old Godin SD's I have a 1997 and a 2001.

The 97' is the Teal colored one pictured here and the 01' is the ButterCream Colored one.

The 97' has a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon Humbucker and the stock Godin single coils for middle and neck positions. Maple fretboard.

The 01' has a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Humbucker and the stock Godin pickups for middle and neck positions. Rosewood fretboard.

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings. My band goes from standard to D tuning throughout our sets as we have songs in each tuning so I really like the flexibility in the Power Slinky strings.

I've also attached a picture of my pedal board which is small for now but I'm looking to expand slowly. TU2>DS2>BF3>DD6 (Joyo PS2). There are some pedal snobs out there that will snub me for having all Boss but I've found application for all of these pedals and I know how reliable they are. I have my eye on a few MXR's but for right now this works for me.

I play through a VOX AC30C2 (greenbacks) Top Boost channel cranked channel and cranked master. Tone cut is at about 11 bass about 11 and treble about 1 o clock.

I keep my tone knob on my guitar cranked and volume depends on the song. I use the humbuckers exclusively right now so I don't mess with my selector switch at all.

As for the tremolo, I've got that puppy on lockdown with 5 springs and the claws are tightened to the max. I don't use the tremolo at all so I prefer the sustain. I am eventually going to drop them off with a luthier to have them blocked. Right now my band is too active for me to not have my guitars. I'll more than likely need to drop 1 off at a time but I'm working on customizing the 97'.

I'd like to get a tortoise pick guard for the 97' with black hardware and matching knobs. purely aesthetic. Right now the 97' serves as a decent backup for the 01' however, I'd like to replace the Screamin Demon with another SH-4 JB as I really do like the SH-4 with the AC30...

Did I leave anything out? Oh yeah... I LOVE Godins... These older SD's are so comfortable to play, the sound and look is just as good if not better than any strat.

Attached Files:

6. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

I have several Seagull acoustics - great instruments for the buck!

I picked up this Godin xtSA a few years ago - nice, solid instrument, with loads of different tones (electric, acoustic, and synth). It has a big, beefy neck with an ebony board on it.

Attached Files:

7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have 2007 Triumph. It's a very nice guitar with a great neck. I'd like one of those nylon string synth capable guitars too.

Attached Files:

8. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I have owned 4 Godins and still own an SD. Great guitars for little $$$. My only con against them is I've yet to find one that sounded "special".

9. Tritone

Tritone TDPRI Member

I have a Godin 5th Avenue I had modded with a floating Kent Armstrong mini-humbucker. I really like it a lot, it has so much character and the build quality is great!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I'm gonna be selling it as soon as I get back to the US for summer vacation. I want to keep it but since it sits in its case while I'm in Japan 11.5 months out of the year, I can't justify it.

oldfartatplay1320 likes this.
  10. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Godin 5th Ave for me as well. It's my go-to acoustic, and when I put on the DeArmond monkey-on-a-stick pickup, it's a nice jazzy/raunchy electric.

Solid value for the money in any Godin product I've seen. I'd probably have a Seagull by now, but the headstock is kind of silly. Yes, I'm a shallow, shallow man.

11. Zwerewolf

Zwerewolf TDPRI Member

Runnin down a dream...

12. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

My 5th Avenue Kingpin hangs on a hook in my living room and I often serenade my son with it. I'd prefer a fatter neck but otherwise it's great. Love the tone and playabiliy; it's the Mazda Miata of jazz archtops.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I lived in Pr. George, BC I had a great 5 string Godin bass.
    It had active EMGs, 35" scale and a cool trans blue finish.
    It was light, and an excellent introduction to 5 string basses for me.
    I'd like to have it back.
    Consistently high quality instruments!

14. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I've been wanting an XTSA for a few years now - regular pickups, piezo, and synth access. Need to find some $$$.

15. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I can't speak about the guitars but isn't that a killer gigbag? I picked up a Tele at a pawn shop Friday and got that same gigbag with it. Amazing!

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got two SDs and an A6, all really nice guitars. I also had the honor of getting gorked on Heineken with Robert Godin at a private party during a winter NAMM show in the early nineties, he's a super nice guy, incredibly passionate about guitars and his company, and funny as hell.

17. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

Godin's don't get the love on some boards that they should but it they are huge with performing artists once you get away from the rock/country genres. Seems every other World/Folk/Altjazz artist has a Godin.

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Bring it back with you! :D

I like my LG SP90 a lot. It's a bit heavy, too, but I love the way the neck feels and the fretwork was excellent. I also like the figuring on the top.

image-2508184962.jpg

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw Poco a few years ago and Rusty Young was using a Godin with the magnetic, piezo and synth pickups for the songs where he didn't play pedal steel. Sounded good.

20. Chubby Biscuit

Chubby Biscuit TDPRI Member

I just picked up a Godin 5th Ave Kingpin yesterday. We will see if I can love it or not. I watched the Seagull factory tour on youtube and watching how much of the process Robert Godin knew and understood totally sold me on their products. Would like to see other CEO's get that informed on each step of their process the way he was! Amazing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.