NGD and thank you TDPRI! Another quiver in my guitarsenal

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by BrazHog, Sep 16, 2020.

1. BrazHog

BrazHog TDPRI Member

With all the great advice from TDPRI I finally was able to finish my Procasti-Caster project.

Started it in 2012 (it has Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups, bought when Mr. Lawrence was still with us) and finished it last week. It took me the longest time to gather my wits and gather the tools to solder the electronics. Got it right at the first try, beginners luck surely. I'm expecting all those cold solders are going to come undone some time next week.

Components on this thing are:

• Warmoth body. Chambered, bought it on sale.
    • Warmoth neck. I think I selected the thickest they had (see pictures). Don't remember which frets or fingerboard radius I chose, I think it was something vintage-ish. The combination of chunky neck and chambered body makes it a bit neck-heavy unfortunately :(. But not too much, it wants to stay horizontal, not dip to the floor. And I lean my right forearm on the body when I play anyway, so it stays at a comfortable angle.
    • Callahan something-or-other bridge, with weird looking saddles. I still need to intonate it with my electronic tuner.
    • Bill Lawrence Wilde blade pickups. These are humbucking pickups, so the values of the electronic components are (I think) compatible with humbuckers.
    • Some vintage-looking no-brand tuners. These are adequate, if a bit stiff. Bought them in 2012, don't remember where.
    • LP style jack plate, because I royally messed up trying to install a Tele-style socket.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

As you can see from the pictures, the guitar is already quite beat up from sitting at the back of my closet and under the bed without a case for so many years. Should get a gig bag for it at some point...

So far I tested only with a small battery-powered amp, and it *seems* to be working fine. I dropped some .09 Daddario strings (from 2012) on it and without any adjustments the action and ease to play are unreal! I really lucked out in that department.

Next steps would be to get my real amplifier from storage and set it up to play, so I can really put this guitar through its paces. And later on I need to get serious about that whole laptop recording rig that I always meant to set up so I can become a YOUTUBE GUITAR INFLUENCER! :lol:

Not to mention the unrelated GAS brought upon by the soldering tools. Now I'm also thinking of doing some other electronics projects. Will be building some cables to start out, those are always useful around the house. Maybe a fuzz down the line... should use the time to practice instead.

Anyway, I expect this new guitar will inspire me to focus more on my electric playing. Last 5 or so years I have been playing my nylon stringer exclusively (easier to just pop out of the case and play), but the feel of this Tele is totally different. The notes simply glide on this thing, makes me want to learn how to shred. And I still may!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    preactor, tah1962, Hey_you and 19 others like this.
  2. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Nice! I love it when a long-term project finally comes together. Well done.

hemingway and BrazHog like this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Nice. Can't go wrong with a black Tele.

4. BrazHog

BrazHog TDPRI Member

Thanks! I was thinking on putting some heavier strings, to get the feel closer to the nylon stringer I usually play, but for now I will leave the .009's on. Those strings really fly!

5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

That one is a beauty !

BrazHog likes this.
  6. LiveTransmission

LiveTransmission TDPRI Member

Great job, a black tele with rosewood neck is one of my favourite looks. Always reminds me of PJ Harvey. :cool:

BrazHog likes this.
  7. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I love the kerrang and jangle of .009s, but I break them too easily with my ham-fisted attacks. I have intonation problems on a perfectly intonated guitar due to fretting with way too much pressure.

Maybe I need to switch to decaf?

BrazHog likes this.
  8. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

That's the Korean licensed Wilkinson bridge. They're about $25 but are really great, despite what some may think due to price.

BrazHog likes this.
  9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

nothing every comes out very well when ya rush into it....

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    BrazHog likes this.
  10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Cool

BrazHog likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bravo!

BrazHog likes this.
  12. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Don't you mean "arrow in your quiver"?

hellopike and BrazHog like this.
  13. BrazHog

BrazHog TDPRI Member

:D There was a thread somewhere about the most annoying names people gave to their guitar collections, and "guitarsenal" and "quiver" were at the top. That gave me the idea for the thread name.

But a Tele *is* actually a quiver. Has two pickups, volume and tone controls. Lots of cool sounds in there... maybe all of them!

14. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very cool. Congratulations. Now you can enjoy all of the hard work, worry, and time that went into completing this project. :)

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Looks great!

Yep--that is a Warmoth Fat Back neck; you can tell by the thickness behind the nut in that side shot. These are a full one inch thick. You like a hand-filling neck? This is it; I have a few on guitars here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.