NGD... and initial thoughts straight out of the box.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by JohnnyHormone, Jul 30, 2021.

1. JohnnyHormone

JohnnyHormone TDPRI Member

Cheers dude :)

Yep, it doesn't take much to bring out the best in a guitar.

Blue Bill likes this.
  2. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

How is the neck? My CV thinline is well thin...too thin.

3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you Johnny. They said it was Lake Placid Blue but it is Ice Blue Metallic i think. In any case, I like it too!

68Telebass and JohnnyHormone like this.
  4. JohnnyHormone

Got to be honest the neck is pretty much identical to the Mexican Fender Classic Player 60s neck I have on my Strat, both are 9.5 radius and from one to the other the feel is the same.

68Telebass likes this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    Very nice.

JohnnyHormone likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That sounds about right. When you have a fantastic neck and body to work with, you are most of the way there to a solid player. I have a Contemporary Strat which is about the same price range as the CV series, but with more modern features (2 point trem, HH pickups - which I switched to SSS anyway, 12" neck radius, etc.) It needed a setup and I added a Black TUSQ nut, new saddles, better pots and switch, and of course a new pickguard with SSS pickups (Bootstrap Oatmeal Stout set). It's the one in my avatar, actually, and has been my #1 for over 6 months since I finished the mods. Stock trem plate and block and modern sealed tuners were excellent, so they stayed.

Enjoy that Tele!

7. JohnnyHormone

I love that scratchplate you have there, what a great look.

You are quite right though, if the neck and body are great, you are going to end up with a fine instrument.
    My most played guitar in the last 16 months has been the cheapest, the HB... sat with it at the moment :)

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Just as an aside, make sure the CTS pots fit the control plate. I had to buy a new one, as the pot hole wasn't big enough to take the CTS type

9. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

Nice lookin' guitar man! Yeah.... even though those pots might be ok, it would just bother me. I'd have to swap em out too... and the switch etc. No sweat!

10. JohnnyHormone

ah, good shout, I didm't think about that. I guess a standard control plate will fit.. could end up going the road worn look...

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah - I wanted something a little different. I ran across an HB in a pawn shop - one of the higher end models, if you can call it that ;) - with the Roswell pickups. Played beautifully and looked amazing, but I didn’t need another Strat so I left it. Couldn’t stop thinking about it at $119 CDN, so I called the pawn shop two days later and it was already gone. Kicked myself when I found that model was actually closer to $300 CDN new - and it was absolutely mint. Great guitars at a great price.

12. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

That thing looks ace; congrats.

Fendereedo and JohnnyHormone like this.
  13. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! Nice review.

14. JohnnyHormone

Cheers, I went looking for information about them before I bought it, and all I could really find were a bunch of YouTube reviews with people saying good things... but nothing is ever that straight forward, and people are always going to hype the thing they have paid out on, we all need that positive confirmation of our choices.

I used to work in the trade, I've sold plenty of guitars, and I own a bunch, ranging from Gibson, Fender, Gretsch etc to Harley Benton.
    I don't believe the cheap guitars to be of the quality woods etc of the higher end ones, but they can still be fantastic instruments and be capable of giving years of enjoyment and be used for gigging.

So I thought I would try and post an honest appraisal, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

At £350 or there abouts, it really should have shielding in place, thst is a big negative mark.

The mini pots, well the electrics are cheap, and again there are cheaper instruments with better electrics.

The fretboard has taken a good amount of oil but is now beautiful and not at all scratchy.

The fretwork is good, just one that needed a little finish where it had sprouted, but I am talking one pass of a file.

The nut is bone and is staying. It is well cut.

The tuners are stiff, but good and stable... certainly they will stay for now.

The saddles were OK, the intonation wasn't bad, but I've swapped for compensated brass as it is my preference.

The neck, well it feels the same as my Strat 60s classic player neck, and I like it..

The body is beautiful, stunning.

The pickups are OK, I can certainly tweak my amp and get the sound I like without issue. They have a good definition and a definite tele sound.

The setup was comedy, but 5 mins with truss rod and saddle heights was all it took to get a great action with no fret buzz, I'm sure it'll settle in the coming weeks, but it is so easy to play.
    It may well have a double action truss rod.

And weight wise, 7.8lb is good, feels fine.

So, is it as good as a Player or Performer?

Out of the box, I'd have to say no, it is let down by electrics and set up...
    After a bit of work, yes it is on a par with the unmodded Player.

I could have bought a Player, Vintera or Performer, but I am happy with the CV now I have corrected things.

Honestly I would pass on the Player, unless the neck feel of it is preferable over the CV, but I may still get a Performer, not out of need, but out of the fun of owning.
    This CV will be a great little workhorse.

Thus concludes my review... hopefully objective enough, and impartial enough, to help someone else who is considering one or the other.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  15. Fendereedo

I liked my 2019 out if the box, but for me it was forever going to be a modding platform.
    So, the frets were perfect, the neck needed a tweak. The things I upgraded, or changed were:
    The pick guard, the original swapped for an 8 hole vintage white.
    I copper shielded the insides, like you there wasn't any shielding at all.
    Electro jack socket cup.
    I rewired with cloth wiring and CTS pots, and new. 22 cap. I also had to change out the control plate, as the CTS didn't fit the old plate.
    I got rid of what I found to be the lifeless "Fender Designed" Pickups, for a set of Tex/Mex, one of my favourite pickups.
    A Fender bridge plate with threaded saddles, replaced the stock that was on there.
    New sturdier strap buttons were added.
    The bone nut was fine, no need to replace mine either.
    New butterfly string tree, the original was loose, flat, and junk to be honest.
    The neck I used fret doctor, it wasn't the best piece of Laurel, in fact it was ugly. So, over time I darkened the wood using a wood stain pen, then wiped off and sanded it lightly. The finishes results are impressive.
    Finally, I changed the plastic feeling tuners out for some Wilkinson deluxe vintage 6 in a line. I was getting a lot of stiffness from the originals, and The Wilkinson's dropped right in no problem.

16. JohnnyHormone

Sounds very similar, if I swap the tuners I'll likely go the road worn look... that said it sounds like I need a control plate for the rewire. Is it a standard Fender replacement?

I struck lucky with the Laurel, pretty dark off the bat and the oil has added depth to that whilst smoothing.

I was going to live with the pickup initially, but I'd agree they don't set the world on fire.

My intention was a humbucker in the neck position, or possibly a P90, I do love a P90. That said I might try the 4 way wiring first with standard pups and see how it goes.

Overall I am very pleased with it as a base though.

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

How is the fretwork? That is the only thing I have had any problem with on my Squiers. They always (IME) need a fret level, but so do may high end guitars.

18. Fendereedo

A regular plate from Vanson did the trick, cost about £10 on Amazon. A Fender would be a direct fit. I literally didn't want to pay £20. However, I forgot to mention that I changed out the volume and tone knobs for a spare set of Fenders I had.
    Initially I think the necks were a lot lighter in hue, but I think they are staining them now. I saw a couple of the Esquire 60s, and they looked nice and dark.

19. JohnnyHormone

Yep, a plate is a plate, £10 on Amazon sounds good, I'll get one ordered.

Fendereedo likes this.
  20. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Holic

CAUTION: Since this is a brand-new and very swell Tele, you should probably find something other than lemon oil for the fingerboard. It's been said several places on this forum that straight-up lemon oil will actually further dry out a fretboard over time.
    There are several alternatives that will help keep your new purchase shiny and new for a long time to come, including:

[​IMG]

This one is what I use on any "naked" wood on electrics and acoustics, which includes fingerboards and bridges. I also put some on a rag and wipe down strings after a long session to prolong string life and make the guitar much easier to play:

[​IMG]

The good Doctor also sells great strings at ridiculous prices (ducksdeluxe.com).

Both are available from Amazon and can be in your hands within 2 days.

Good Luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.