NGD and Initial Review - Squier CV Thinline in BSB

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by BackwaterJunction, Jun 5, 2021.

1. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction Tele-Meister

OK, it's not technically NGD as that was yesterday, but I wanted to get to know it a touch more before posting. Sue me ;)

So I took myself to Andertons yesterday with the intention of looking at the newest CVs. What had particularly caught my eye was the striking Candy Apple Green limited edition, which looked fantastic. Unfortunately, they hadn't managed to reserve this for me. I did however try a Candy Apple Red, a Player Series in Sunburst, and the guitar I bought, the thinline. Here's a pic I grabbed of the three:

IMG_20210604_105643.jpg

So, why the CV thinline?

Well, I didn't click with the solid CV. I'm not sure why, but the fretboard felt dry and scratchy under my hand, and even though the electrics are meant to be identical, it sounded much thinner than the thinline.

The Player Series, by contrast, was a lovely guitar. A satin-ish neck (it wasn't ultra fast but definitely doesn't have the full gloss the CVs have) and was the best sounding of the three. However, the Player Series is pricier, and I fell for the thinline.

Here it is at home:

IMG_20210605_124447.jpg

Personally, I think it's beautiful. I try not to judge guitars solely on looks but it's what grabs the eye. I particularly love how the grain is visible through the finish, and I do love the vintage inspired logo and tuners too:

IMG_20210605_124536.jpg
    IMG_20210605_124646.jpg

Onto the next component, the overall feel. I'd love to quantify this to you with pictures but you'll have to hang tight for now.

The neck is incredibly comfortable. It's simply listed as "C-Shaped" which seems fair, but it feels great in the hand. I've seen other reviews of CVs over the year saying the gloss is too sticky; for me, it felt fine. It's a long way from a satin finish, and perhaps if I take it out to some gigs in the future then under warm lighting it might change my view. But for now I don't see any need to sand it.

The frets, to my initial and non-expert checking anyway, felt good and level, with no signs of fret sprout. I can safely run my hand up and down the neck and the nut seems well cut. It plays comfortably and well, which wasn't a huge surprise but nice to experience. The maple board felt much better than the Indian Laurel on the solid CV, but perhaps that was just a lesser example.

I also love the light weight of this guitar, it's easy and comfortable to play standing.

Sound wise, I think this example sounded better than the solid CV. Not sure why; I thought it might be the semi-hollow effect, but also looked to me as though the pickups were a touch closer to the strings than on the solid CV, which perhaps clouded my views of how resonant they both were. Both sounded good as they were, but I preferred the thinline. Having got it home and used it through my Hot Rod Deluxe and associated pedals, it sounds killer. If this were my only Tele I wouldn't feel any need to change the pickups at all.

However - firstly, the Player Series did sound, to my ear, marginally better. It had a tighter, more controlled bass, and seemed to have a touch more sparkle in the highs too. It was marginal, and I was only using the Katana left in the practice space in the store, but it seemed to be there. Secondly, I already own a standard configuration partscaster that I've put CS Nocaster pickups in, which sound absolutely beautiful.

My own existing guitars, plus the consideration that I could swap the pickups, sent me fully to the thinline. It is beautiful, and is a great guitar as it is. My plan however involves a TV Jones Classic in the neck - not sure on the bridge yet.

So, what's not quite right?

Well, the neck is comfortable and seems well secured. But I wonder if the joint from neck to body could be a touch more snug. Does this matter? To me, not at all. But here are a couple of angles to show what I mean:

IMG_20210605_124603.jpg IMG_20210605_124611.jpg

Anything else? Well, one of the ferrules on the back is slightly too far into the body. I don't see how it makes any difference and I'm not prone to eyeballing the back of my guitars instead of playing them, but here for the record:

IMG_20210605_124749.jpg

Wow, that was a lot to type.

So, to summarise - the CV Thinline is comfortable, a great player, looks stunning, and does sound very good, especially considering its price. There are one or two fit and finish aspects that aren't 100% perfect, but to me make no difference. If you're in the market for one just make sure to give it a good once over. It certainly doesn't need much work to be a solid guitar and I'd definitely be comfortable gigging it as is. I'd recommend to anyone.

2. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

It looks great! Price on those is definitely right. The neck on my Vintera has completely ruined me to glossy necks (it’s not glossy and glossy necks feel really weird to me now). Congrats! I may buy one someday and just swap the neck out, I love the weight for sure.

Fendereedo and BackwaterJunction like this.
  3. BackwaterJunction

I think I have a marginal preference for a satin neck feel, but my strat is glossy too, so luckily for me I'm used to it. It won't be everyone's preference for sure though, and that's something that's great about guitars!

I'm sure you could do a neck swap, but at a guess you could probably sand the gloss off the back of the neck instead as a cheaper option!

68Telebass likes this.
  4. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Good thought. If I do get one, it'll be next year.

BackwaterJunction likes this.
  5. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I wish my thinline was that color ... congrats

6. BackwaterJunction

Thanks - though if your thinline is the one in your profile picture, then I love the colour of yours too! My problem is in an ideal world I'd have about 20 in different colours!

7. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Great looker! Glad you’re enjoying that Thinline.

Nice FSR colo(u)r options at Anderton’s (and Chicago Music Exchange stateside here...). I’ve preordered the Shell Pink with matching headstock Squier VI bass!

Too bad they didn’t have that green bound Tele. I like green guitars! :oops:

8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thinlines have never been my thing, but yours is truly amazing. I have GAS now, that's simply wonderful.
    Big congrats!

Logik and BackwaterJunction like this.
  9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Nice! The CV is still a winner, in every incarnation it seems.

I love thinlines too...

10. BackwaterJunction

I was disappointed the green wasn't there, but ultimately I think I'd have come away with the thinline anyway!

The Shell Pink stuff always looks great. I haven't got anything in shell pink and I'm always thinking I should...

68Telebass likes this.
  11. BackwaterJunction

I honestly didn't think it was my thing, but having tried it now, I think it definitely is!

John Stephen, mimmo and nicod98 like this.
  12. BackwaterJunction

It definitely seems that way, they're just great guitars, not just 'for the price'.

Incidentally, my approach to this write up was half taken from your recent CV Esquire review!

nicod98 likes this.
  13. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

I love it! I'm jealous.:D Congrats!

14. Cornelius TX

Cornelius TX TDPRI Member

Never seen a BSB thinline. Congrats!

15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

...and I can see why ;)

16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Great looker, congratulations.

17. Krisvad

Krisvad TDPRI Member

I ordered one like yours yesterday. I have been gassing fpr a thinline for years but never really found anything I liked within my price range. But this BSB beauty is spot on.

Happy to read your view on feel and tone. I bought mine as a potential mod platform, with the neck pickup the first thing to change. I am however not sure which way to go with it. P90, firebird, gold foil or something else. For now I habe 5-7 days wait to get the guitar in my hands - then the quest begins in earnest.

18. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I gotta admit it looks amazing in the BSB/Black! Congrats y’all!!

19. BackwaterJunction

Let me know how you find it - I'm still really enjoying mine!

Pickup wise, have a look at what you can find a guard for, unless you can cut one yourself. I reckon any of those would be killer in the neck position

Krisvad and Fendereedo like this.
  20. Krisvad

Krisvad TDPRI Member

Well it should arrive Tuesday next week, so will update then.

Good point about the guard. I don’t fancy cutting it myself as it would not look very nice as a result.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.