NGD, and a "shout out" to Hipshot

control voltage

Tele-Meister
I've had the guitar for a while, so it's not exactly New Guitar Day, but I never posted about it before. I wanted to share a nice product support interaction, though, so I thought I'd do it here.

The guitar is a 2009 Classic Vibe Tele, "Crafted in China", but lots of things have been changed on it. The biggest modification was the addition of a Hipshot B & G bender with a drop-D lever.

I've been having a lot of fun with the bender, but one of the height-adjustment screws on the G saddle has worked itself out of its hole a couple of times, perhaps because of the string sliding back and forth across the saddle.

The first time that happened, I found it on the ground, and reinstalled it. The second time, I couldn't find it, despite sweeping around with a magnet. I took the other screw out of that saddle, planning to take it to a hardware store to find a match with the right pitch, etc. I didn't have a convenient container at hand, so I stuck it to the magnet, thinking it would stay there. When I got to the hardware store, though, the screw was gone. I must have brushed it against something.

Before removing more screws, and possibly ending up with replacements made of different material than the originals, I thought I'd look at Hipshot's website, to see if they sell the screws there. I didn't see them, so I sent them an email asking if I could buy some. They said they'd be glad to send me a replacement, free of charge.

They arrived today, they fit, and the guitar is back in action. I needed two screws, but they sent extras (four screws, in all), plus an allen wrench! I thought that was pretty cool. Thanks, Hipshot!

About the guitar, I had been looking out for a used guitar with a B-bender for several years, but had only seen one anywhere close to my area. It was expensive, though, and not at all to my taste, so I didn't pursue it. Then this Classic Vibe with the Hipshot bender showed up with a price that seemed unbelievably low, and only about 30 miles away.

Whoever had it put a lot of work and parts into it: Hipshot bender, Hipshot bridge, Lollar Tele Vintage pickups (IIRC; I wrote it down, somewhere), 4-way switch, CTS pots, different cap, different knobs (originals included), tort pickguard, maybe a different nut, and it seems to have had a nice setup. I guess they just didn't get along with it at all, though, because they put it on consignment for probably about a third of the cost of the guitar+all those parts, not to mention labor.

I think it's great, though. I don't know how the original pickups sounded, but I think these sound excellent, and I like having the G-bender and drop-D lever, in addition to the B-bender. I haven't played a P-G or other bender that is controlled by the strap, so I can't compare, but I didn't find it difficult to get used to the hip lever for the B, and the palm lever for the G.

The G string does sometimes make a little "pop". The break angle over that saddle is shallow, and there's not a lot of tension holding the string down, so I guess it comes out of the slot a little bit sometimes, then pops back in. Maybe that's what the original owner didn't like. It doesn't bother me much, though, and I feel like I got a fantastic deal. Maybe I'll put a little wax on those screws, if they keep walking out.

T7pVBm8.jpg

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My 93 Strat Plus Deluxe has a Hipshot Contour tremolo bridge and it's amazing. Very responsive and comes back to tune every time.

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
the height-adjustment screws on the G saddle has worked itself out of its hole
A drop of Theadlock, thin superglue, liquid bandage or nail polish will solve any kind of issue like that. I normally have superglue handy so that's what I use. It has very poor shear strength, so you can turn the screw easily if necessary.

control voltage

Tele-Meister
A drop of Theadlock, thin superglue, liquid bandage or nail polish will solve any kind of issue like that. I normally have superglue handy so that's what I use. It has very poor shear strength, so you can turn the screw easily if necessary.
I have some Threadlock and regular superglue around. I may try that, if it happens again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vibroluxer

Friend of Leo's
One thing I dislike about Facebook is that I can't seem to find things I once saw. There was an older guy playing the same Hipshot and it was magical and hypnotic the way he played. Alas, he is lost to Facebook history, I can't find him or id happily post a link or two.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I've had the guitar for a while, so it's not exactly New Guitar Day, but I never posted about it before. I wanted to share a nice product support interaction, though, so I thought I'd do it here.

The guitar is a 2009 Classic Vibe Tele, "Crafted in China", but lots of things have been changed on it. The biggest modification was the addition of a Hipshot B & G bender with a drop-D lever.

I've been having a lot of fun with the bender, but one of the height-adjustment screws on the G saddle has worked itself out of its hole a couple of times, perhaps because of the string sliding back and forth across the saddle.

The first time that happened, I found it on the ground, and reinstalled it. The second time, I couldn't find it, despite sweeping around with a magnet. I took the other screw out of that saddle, planning to take it to a hardware store to find a match with the right pitch, etc. I didn't have a convenient container at hand, so I stuck it to the magnet, thinking it would stay there. When I got to the hardware store, though, the screw was gone. I must have brushed it against something.

Before removing more screws, and possibly ending up with replacements made of different material than the originals, I thought I'd look at Hipshot's website, to see if they sell the screws there. I didn't see them, so I sent them an email asking if I could buy some. They said they'd be glad to send me a replacement, free of charge.

They arrived today, they fit, and the guitar is back in action. I needed two screws, but they sent extras (four screws, in all), plus an allen wrench! I thought that was pretty cool. Thanks, Hipshot!

About the guitar, I had been looking out for a used guitar with a B-bender for several years, but had only seen one anywhere close to my area. It was expensive, though, and not at all to my taste, so I didn't pursue it. Then this Classic Vibe with the Hipshot bender showed up with a price that seemed unbelievably low, and only about 30 miles away.

Whoever had it put a lot of work and parts into it: Hipshot bender, Hipshot bridge, Lollar Tele Vintage pickups (IIRC; I wrote it down, somewhere), 4-way switch, CTS pots, different cap, different knobs (originals included), tort pickguard, maybe a different nut, and it seems to have had a nice setup. I guess they just didn't get along with it at all, though, because they put it on consignment for probably about a third of the cost of the guitar+all those parts, not to mention labor.

I think it's great, though. I don't know how the original pickups sounded, but I think these sound excellent, and I like having the G-bender and drop-D lever, in addition to the B-bender. I haven't played a P-G or other bender that is controlled by the strap, so I can't compare, but I didn't find it difficult to get used to the hip lever for the B, and the palm lever for the G.

The G string does sometimes make a little "pop". The break angle over that saddle is shallow, and there's not a lot of tension holding the string down, so I guess it comes out of the slot a little bit sometimes, then pops back in. Maybe that's what the original owner didn't like. It doesn't bother me much, though, and I feel like I got a fantastic deal. Maybe I'll put a little wax on those screws, if they keep walking out.

T7pVBm8.jpg
Can you post a closer pic of the Hipshot unit? Does it work with a bar against your hip or your palm?

control voltage

Tele-Meister
Can you post a closer pic of the Hipshot unit? Does it work with a bar against your hip or your palm?

Here's a photo taken by the shop that sold it to me. The B-bender is controlled with a bar that sticks out behind the guitar. That bar attaches at the clamp that is sticking out at the left of the photo. The shape of the bar allows one to adjust how it meets one's hip (see second photo, below).

The G-bender is controlled with the palm lever, and the Drop-D lever is that spoon-shaped thing toward the bass side of the bridge.

I think the bridge is available with just the B-bender (as in the second photo), or with whatever combination is desired.

50hU2ok.jpg

main-qimg-06f726ae9c467bd0a0ce4ab0fb0ba03f-lq

Last edited: