NGD and a complete mystery

Hampus

TDPRI Member
My latest find! Bought it from a guy, who found it in a thrift shop, for a sum equal to about $100.

Estimated to have been manufactured in the 60s by Oscar Teller, a German luthier who mainly made acoustics under the Tellson name. This is the only information I have found out about this guitar that has no model name (just some hard to read numbers on the back of the headstock).

I found a 13 year old Youtube video of the same model which was absolutely butchered(!) but this was in excellent condition in what we believe to be the original case! So as far as I know, this might be the only model (in good condition) that still exists!

The neck has a zero fret, no truss rod and had one hell of a bow until I got the ridiculously thick strings off (Must have been originals too). Still a slight bow even without strings. The neck looks detached at the neck joint, but there is no play so I think it's just the finish that is cracked.

From the measurements on the neck it is 22mm (0,86") thick and 38mm (1,49") wide at the first fret. 48mm (1,89") wide and 25mm (1,98") thick at the 12th. 21 frets with a scale length right off 600mm, right between 23,5" and 23,75". The radius is compounded with around 7,25" at the first fret, around 9,5" on the 12th and finally around 14" at the 21st.

I've opened it up and all parts are attached to the metal pick guard, soldered on. Including the (brass?) hood over the pots. I haven't been able to try it out since the output is some sort of 3-pin connector. The original cable was in the case (with one end cut off) and I need to put a connector on it before testing.

What do you guys think about this mystery guitar? Anyone got any info about this luthier and what seems to be experiments in electric guitar building?

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 144

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I would guess Soviet but that’s all I got

But then again…there’s English on it, which If it was for the USSR domestic market would be strange

Edit: but also it does have some German characteristics

Very interesting

Last edited:

Teletubbie

Tele-Meister
That headstock is insanely MASSIVE!!
Love the knobs.
I like it in a very weird way.
Please report back on how it sounds when cable sorted out.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
My latest find! Bought it from a guy, who found it in a thrift shop, for a sum equal to about $100.

Estimated to have been manufactured in the 60s by Oscar Teller, a German luthier who mainly made acoustics under the Tellson name. This is the only information I have found out about this guitar that has no model name (just some hard to read numbers on the back of the headstock).

I found a 13 year old Youtube video of the same model which was absolutely butchered(!) but this was in excellent condition in what we believe to be the original case! So as far as I know, this might be the only model (in good condition) that still exists!

The neck has a zero fret, no truss rod and had one hell of a bow until I got the ridiculously thick strings off (Must have been originals too). Still a slight bow even without strings. The neck looks detached at the neck joint, but there is no play so I think it's just the finish that is cracked.

From the measurements on the neck it is 22mm (0,86") thick and 38mm (1,49") wide at the first fret. 48mm (1,89") wide and 25mm (1,98") thick at the 12th. 21 frets with a scale length right off 600mm, right between 23,5" and 23,75". The radius is compounded with around 7,25" at the first fret, around 9,5" on the 12th and finally around 14" at the 21st.

I've opened it up and all parts are attached to the metal pick guard, soldered on. Including the (brass?) hood over the pots. I haven't been able to try it out since the output is some sort of 3-pin connector. The original cable was in the case (with one end cut off) and I need to put a connector on it before testing.

What do you guys think about this mystery guitar? Anyone got any info about this luthier and what seems to be experiments in electric guitar building?
"Soviet" was guessed at already and I have to concur even though it might not be.
As soon as I saw that thing my brain said "Jolana" which was a Soviet guitar manufacturer.
Take a peek at these pics and you'll see why:
image002-30.jpg

image001-31.jpg

photo-1.jpg

NEOTON%20Star%20III%20(3).JPG

... and last but not least; "the one that got away"... I found this thing in a second hand shop(duh), and
was immediately interested but I didn't have cash on me. When I returned with cash the thing was gone already.

jolana+disco+guitarz.jpg

Probably for the best as I would have installed an EMG85 in it! :lol:

I was in the market for something unique and beat up in which I could install something hyper-charged for metal.
Like a Trabant with a V8 and supercharger. Also, I found the headstock with its "DISCO JOLANA" -print
quite hilarious.

Hampus

TDPRI Member
Someone at another forum pointed out to me that this looks like a mix of Framus hardware and electronics (knobs, pickups and the metal pick guard) on a body and neck that looks like a UK Fenton Deluxe (who had a partner called Henry Weill who he believe was German.

Fenton-Weill:
fw4a.jpeg

Framus:
$_58.JPG

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Last edited:

Hampus

TDPRI Member
Has some characteristics vaguely in line with Teisco and Kawai's of that era.

A little like mine:

Very cool clayville!

Starting to see a bit of a trend in the late 50s early 60s globally. More funkiness to the people! x)

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I see Teisco and Iron Curtain influences all over that thing.

I don’t know what it is, but if I saw it hanging in a shop, I’d have thought it was a Teisco Del Rey of some sort.

But I’m pretty ignorant, so take that with a full shake of Morton’s.

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
Thats friggin Way Cool.
I'd love to 8wn thst.
Can only imagine playing some Hound Dog tunes with that bird.
Very good score.
FG