NGD: American Vintage II 1963 Telecaster

JohnFender

TDPRI Member
If you like the way it feel and sounds that's the most important part, that's how I found mine and still like my tele after many years

mrmtele

TDPRI Member
Probably. But why should the owner of a brand new $2400 guitar have to deal with replacing the nut right out of the box?
Yeah I agree but if everything else was good and that fixed the problem it would take care of the rattle. Of course after spending that much on a guitar you want everything to be right. A lot of people change the nut on new guitars if they don't like the one on it. If the store don't send it back to Fender they may have a luthier on staff to change the nut. I used to work next to a music store and a lot of instruments needed work done to them especially set ups when they come out of the box. Quality control just isn't what it used to be.

Love For Teles

Tele-Meister
HNGD! I keep drooling over the AV II 1951 Tele.
I got one of them. They're quite special really. They look noticeably better than my other teles. They look higher quality! My Pro II is more versatile but my vintage is alot more pure and by far the nicest tele I own to play clean - low gain on!

Love For Teles

Tele-Meister
I'd like to hear about how the '51 AVII turned out for you, because this is the guitar I'm strongly considering getting myself.
I wondered too but I got one myself now. I can only compare it to basic teles such as vintera, player series, pro II and ultra. I actually own a player and pro II so mainly those two.

The player I got is an exceptional specimin because I actually prefer it over all other guitars I played that were over 3 times the price. It only sounds a bit thinner/cheaper but feels amazing.

Both the pro II and player cover more ground I feel like. They can get brighter, they can go more muffled, the bridge is harsher, ... It requires more work to find ´the tone´ but atleast all the tones are there. Especially on the pro II with that 4th position.

That said, all tones on the vintage II are warm and lovely. It´s by far the purest tele I own and is an absolute Joy to play clean or with low gain. I tend to gravitate towards playing clean with it since it sounds so pure! It´s fine with more dirt but that´s where I think the modern pro II is more capable.

Compared to the player, the pro II looks a step above but the vintage II takes that up another step. Next to my pro II, it makes the pro II look more like a plastic toy (a little bit).

It´s gorgeous, sounds and plays absolutely fine but if you told me you needed ONE tele to do as much as possible, i´d recommend an ultra or pro II.

They´re expensive but the quality definitly makes me feel like it should be around the 2000 bracket. The tuning feels great, the position switch is nice and springy, the ash looks lovely, the tint is warm, ... The gloss neck tho, is quite sticky. The necks on my other guitars are very smooth in comparison but it gets better over time. Infact, within 24 hours it was already smoother. Brittle though, a little piece of laquer chipped already!

I always said the pro II had the perfect neck and I stand by it, but after playing my vintage II '51 I wish the pro II neck was a bit thicker and that it had the same frets as the AVII '51.

Lastly, the 7.25 radius is more noticeable than I expected but all the fear that got into me from reading forums and comments is unnecessary. It´s very comfy when chording and takes my bends just fine with the out-of-the-box setup. That said, I'm anything but a heavy bender.

Hope it helps! Feel free to ask if you have specific questions!

Attachments

• 20221124_183433.jpg
    20221124_183433.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20221124_183438.jpg
    20221124_183438.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

GuitarRod

TDPRI Member
The modern 3-way switch i s the only thing that isn't period-correct in both the '63 and '51 Telecasters but at custom shop prices, i guess the modern switching would seem to be somewhat the non-standard custom option.