NGD: American Vintage II 1963 Telecaster

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
Well thanks everyone...unfortunately I had noticed a rattle coming from the e string....turns out the string was touching the top of the fretboard behind the nut and in front of the tuner...nut was just too low and too much fretboard above the nut caused the string to vibrate against the board. It was heard through all my amps.
So I returned the 63, and got a nice 51 model Tele instead with no issues. Pics/thread to come!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
That was a quick turnaround! Happy NGD anyway;)

I’m interested in the 61 strat I don’t mind if the neck is thin on the first couple frets hopefully they got it right and it fills out higher up….

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
Well thanks everyone...unfortunately I had noticed a rattle coming from the e string....turns out the string was touching the top of the fretboard behind the nut and in front of the tuner...nut was just too low and too much fretboard above the nut caused the string to vibrate against the board. It was heard through all my amps.
So I returned the 63, and got a nice 51 model Tele instead with no issues. Pics/thread to come!
Wow, hitting the little bit of rosewood on the headstock side of the nut? I would have loved to see a picture. I just hope they don’t sell it as new and someone else gets stuck with the Christmas fruitcake.

You didn’t say high or low e. If the high e, then that is with the string tree in the less forgiving 60s instead of early 50s location, but I’ve still never seen that before. Something must be off more than just nut slot, especially if there was no 1st fret buzz.

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
Wow, hitting the little bit of rosewood on the headstock side of the nut? I would have loved to see a picture. I just hope they don’t sell it as new and someone else gets stuck with the Christmas fruitcake.

You didn’t say high or low e. If the high e, then that is with the string tree in the less forgiving 60s instead of early 50s location, but I’ve still never seen that before. Something must be off more than just nut slot, especially if there was no 1st fret buzz.
It was on the low e string. It was like they just left a bit too much material above the nut. Less winds on the tuner might have made it not hit, but that would only leave about half a wind and cause not enough break angle, which opens up more issues.
Didn't grab a picture of it. The store where I got it from are good people and will send it back to Fender.

wyclif

Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to hear about how the '51 AVII turned out for you, because this is the guitar I'm strongly considering getting myself.

Derrick

TDPRI Member
Wow, I am more into vintage guitars, but this looks great! I think Fender is finally doing some classics in the classic way, and without adding quirks that quirky people might like. I think of that color as Daphne blue like my '67 Mustang (or maybe your camera changed the hue?). Whatever it's called now, it looks great!

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
I'd like to hear about how the '51 AVII turned out for you, because this is the guitar I'm strongly considering getting myself.
The '51 AVII has been great! I'll have to post a thread soon about it, just haven't had time to take pics yet.
Even though the neck shape felt great on the 63, I'm appreciating the fatter neck on the 51 more.
The 51 I got has pretty nice grain and is a nice weight at 7.5 pounds. I like the Broadcaster style and sound of the pickups in the 51.

Love For Teles

Tele-Meister
The '51 AVII has been great! I'll have to post a thread soon about it, just haven't had time to take pics yet.
Even though the neck shape felt great on the 63, I'm appreciating the fatter neck on the 51 more.
The 51 I got has pretty nice grain and is a nice weight at 7.5 pounds. I like the Broadcaster style and sound of the pickups in the 51.
Any news yet on that 51 vintage II? I´m currently debating one That I found that felt very nice. I might send my pro II back even tho that is probably a better guitar for my personal needs... I´m just curious how you like it now and maybe even compared to other teles you had like the '63

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
Any news yet on that 51 vintage II? I´m currently debating one That I found that felt very nice. I might send my pro II back even tho that is probably a better guitar for my personal needs... I´m just curious how you like it now and maybe even compared to other teles you had like the '63
Still have it, still great! Just haven't gotten around to taking pictures and starting its own thread. The 63 Tele would have been still with me if it didn't have the issue. But there is definitely a difference between the two, tonewise and neck shape wise. I do appreciate the fatter neck of the 51, although the 63 neck was nice.
63 had a hotter sound to it, while the 51 sounds more like a broadcaster.
Check out both to see which one you like better.
Full disclosure, it's not my number 1, because I'm an LP guy and my R9 is my number 1, so I don't really have a bias for which Tele is the best lol.

Love For Teles

Tele-Meister
Still have it, still great! Just haven't gotten around to taking pictures and starting its own thread. The 63 Tele would have been still with me if it didn't have the issue. But there is definitely a difference between the two, tonewise and neck shape wise. I do appreciate the fatter neck of the 51, although the 63 neck was nice.
63 had a hotter sound to it, while the 51 sounds more like a broadcaster.
Check out both to see which one you like better.
Full disclosure, it's not my number 1, because I'm an LP guy and my R9 is my number 1, so I don't really have a bias for which Tele is the best lol.
Alright. Seems like I might need to dig into that 51 vs 63 thing a bit more. I REALLY liked the american original 60s... But that buttersctoch blonde on an ash body with that even more tinted neck is just... A thing of beauty to me. I guess sound is more important. I already have a lovely player series which is a more modern guitar, much like my pro II. Therefor I was contemplating swapping the pro II for a vintage II. Looking forward to your post!

RedRiverII

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Nice thread thank you. I'm looking for a Tele right now. Watched Anderton's vid.and enjoyed it. That green Vintage II is a beauty. Sorry you had troubles. Best of luck to you.

Cloodie

Tele-Meister
Surf green may be my favourite guitar colour. Looks great.

ben smith

Tele-Afflicted
Unintended NGD, but those are the best, right?
Picked up an American Vintage II 1963 Tele in Surf Green today at my local shop. I first played one of the 61 Strats, sounded nice but the neck was too thin for me. Then I picked up the 63 Tele and instantly connected with it. Great feeling neck, the pickups sound great, lots of character to them. Amazing fit and finish - felt just as good as Custom Shop Fenders I've had and played (even has nice fret end finishing like a Custom Shop). Cool color and the clay dots are really a nice touch.

View attachment 1040433 View attachment 1040436 View attachment 1040434 View attachment 1040435
I absolutely love that guitar man, hmmmm I think I need one.

cartier

Tele-Meister
Every time I see a new telecaster finding a new home, I get jealous. I start to get that GAS feeling and then my conscious kicks in! The reality is, I have 9 teles of various configurations already in the family. I believe I am pretty much covered in terms of tone, so why am I always so jealous? Ah...Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Full-Tilt-Tele

Tele-Meister
Yeah, I fell in love with that 'Seafoam' turquoise green color and a 'Bamboo' pickguard. So I put together a parts/caster that I call my 'Tiki-Tele' celebration of 'Salt-Life' beach scene. The Krylon rattle-can color is called 'Sea-Glass' and clear coated... Also, I installed a 'Pro-Mod' 4-Way switch wiring.

Attachments

• 20211130_131503.jpg
    20211130_131503.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211130_131641.jpg
    20211130_131641.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010683.JPG
    P1010683.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010654.JPG
    P1010654.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 4-Way_Tele_Mod.jpg
    4-Way_Tele_Mod.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

mrmtele

TDPRI Member
Would a new bone nut have solved the problem with the correct slot depths?