1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD American Vintage 69 Thinline Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rhythmjones, May 8, 2015.

1. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

I had a Mexican Thinline that I had to let go several years ago to pay the light bill. It was always my "one that got away." Recently I had an opportunity to score an American Vintage 69 Thinline at an unbelievable price, so I had to jump on it.

It's a few years old, and it was a dealer floor model, so it has a few scratches, and a discoloration near the neck joint, but all-in-all its in very very good condition. Considering the price, I'm not complaining.

I think this is the most beautiful Thinline Tele Fender ever made. Olympic White is in my top 3 of Fender colors, and considering I have recently sold my other two Olympic White guitars, this fills that gap.

It is super light, and has that Thinline woodiness. The neck pickup almost has that PAF-ish body for jazzy cleans, but with the clarity of a single coil, and the bridge pickup has that twang. This is the first American made guitar that I've ever personally owned.

It needed a pretty hardcore setup. I installed D'Addario Chromes, tightened the truss rod, and shimmed the neck to get the action right. The pickups were so low I don't even know how they were getting a signal. But, now she's set up and Plays amazingly.

For some reason, this guitar was paired with one of those molded plastic Fender cases instead of the G&G case that comes with AVs. That's disappointing but it's the case, not the guitar so...

I have visions of someday finding an AV '64 Tele neck to put on here. I love the feel of that neck, and I think that rosewood board with pearloid dots would look fantastic on this guitar. But that'll probably never happen. For now, it's staying bone-stock.

Anyway, pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

Nice guitar, and congrats! I have the '72 AVRI Thinline, and it's an amazing guitar!

I must say that personally I prefer the 70's neck (and logo!) to the '64 neck. But that's just me. I think it's because I first really started paying attention to guitars in the 70's, and of course those thick-logo Teles were everywhere.

3. deebs

deebs TDPRI Member

I have always loved that model! I have an Olympic white strat with a white perloid guard and want this tele to match!

4. Thinline Twang

Thinline Twang Thinline Player Ad Free + Supporter

Congratulations. I recently bought a new Tele Thinline in Olympic White and I just love that guitar. I hope yours brings you as much enjoyment as mine brings me.

5. theogonia

theogonia TDPRI Member

Beautiful.

Love that 70s headstock.
    And white is always a good choice. A black pickguard would look nice too

6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great guitar man!

7. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Beautiful! Congratulations.

8. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

That really catches the eye....congratulations!!

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That white is stunning. I have a sunburst Thinline (not AV) that I love. Every Tele lover should have a Thinline!

10. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

A dream come true, very envious! Enjoy the hell out of that thing and never sell it!

11. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Whatever you say!

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I agree, love my Oly White 69 too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.