NGD - American Vintage '64 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleBluesMan, Mar 16, 2019.

1. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Wow. What a great guitar. AFAIK these are now out of production. The vintage specs are what I like, and this feels and sounds and plays great! Got a great deal on it, too.
    WIN_20190316_12_41_13_Pro.jpg

2. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Nice score. She's a purdy..

3. -Lefty

-Lefty TDPRI Member

Like the color. What does it weigh?

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

You're right, they are out of production in favour of the 'American Original 60's' Telecaster, which has the same pickups but a double bound body and a modern(er) fretboard radius.

I've got a '64 in Fiesta Red and it's my favourite guitar! Congrats, I hope you enjoy it.

Telebeestar and 41144 like this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the club! Great guitars to play, and they look like poetry.

6. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Congrats! Love my American Original btw...;)

7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations

8. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! I love mine too. My one and only tele. Looks like it’s more the lighting in your pic, but maybe it has yellowed a bit? Mine is ever so slightly banana creaming now that it’s 4ish years old.

9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, congratulations!

10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Congrats! To build on AlbertaGriff's post: these did go out of production at the end of 2017; the American Originals were released at the January 2018 NAMM show - which means they actually went out of production more like October of 2017. Further, Fender had cut production in 2015 to only making the AV '64 Tele in the white blonde/ash body; the other colors were dropped. Fender did the same thing with the AV '58 Tele - that was the color/body wood combination shared by the 2 models so it likely save them money.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  11. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Love it! Congrats!

12. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Thanks, everybody! It weighs 7.5 lbs. Good weight, for me. Not too heavy, not too light. The color in the photo is a bit off - it's still white, not as yellow as the photo indicates.
    I wanted a new one, and after a lot of searching found this one at Guitar Center. They have 2 more new ones in stock as of last Thursday, if anybody is looking for a new one. Plus it was marked down, and I got an additional markdown, I guess due to it being out-of-production and not selling after being in their stock for a few years. (The serial number starts with V16, although I'm not sure if that indicates 2016 or not.) I love the 7.25 radius and vintage frets, and it plays and sounds really great, IMHO. Everything I was looking for in a guitar.

Richie-string likes this.
  13. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

That 16 in the serial number denotes the year. Nice find! :D

I have an AV '62 that I love dearly.

14. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

For vintage specs, in the 60s style, this is the guitar to have...…

:cool:

Telebeestar and 41144 like this.
  15. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Lovely guitar dude.

I personally think it's a sad time when there are no fender's in the current US line that have the vintage specs. To me 7.25" feels like a fender, but 9.5" just doesn't feel like a fender to me. In fact i think the only guitars in the whole current fender catalogue with the vintage specs are the classic series.

TeleBluesMan, VWAmTele and 41144 like this.
  16. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Excellent choice .... The pickups are to die for :cool:

Telebeestar and TeleBluesMan like this.
  17. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

congrats!:D

18. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

Congrats on your AV64 Tele. I have one too. Love that guitar. It's my only Tele. I figure why not have the best! Enjoy and have some fun! :)

19. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

I have the Lake Placid Blue variety. For what it's worth, it took me a while to get used to it, having never had a guitar with vintage specs before. It also had a couple of other niggles I didn't care for; I couldn't find a single capo to fit it (even a rather expensive Shubb dedicated to that radius), the strap lock buttons kept undoing every few weeks to the point of the guitar literally hanging on by a thread by the end of a gig, and the input jack was loose. Long story short, I did try to sell her for a while, but after dropping the price a few times realised I wasn't going to be able to get anything like the quality back for the same cash, so instead I took it along to my tech and gave it a full set-up, which I guess I should have done in the first place. Now I have 6 capos that fit perfectly (guess the neck was pretty screwed up), an input jack/switchcraft (the tech informed me this is the single-most common 'upgrade' he made to Teles, he literally had a box of hundreds) and much longer strap-lock buttons (amazingly, these are usually provided with screws that are insufficient for their sole task). Now, I'm completely used to the radius and it's an absolute dream to play, which I know we're all supposed to say every time we get our guitars set up but I can say I genuinely feel it this time). I hope it's a keeper, even if every now and then I get itchy feet when I like the look of something. I think the nitro on mine should turn a little greener over time and I wished it looked a little more beaten up with each gig, just like its owner. Think the LPB has an extra coat; most of the whites I've seen seem to flake if you look at them.

20. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Very nice...those were great guitars.I own the PV 52 and 58 and they are some of the best Teles Fender ever built.Congratulations on yours!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.