NGD - American Standard Telecaster (Natural Ash)

DAKnox

Tele-Meister
Nice! I like the belly cut on the Telecaster. I thought the only Fender Tele with a belly cut was the Richie Kotzen model. So I see your Strat has a rosewood fingerboard and your Tele has a maple fingerboard. I always wonder if there's a reason for preferring one over the other.
I don't have a major preference, I lean towards rosewood but I'm comfortable playing on both so often comes down to just does this particular guitar play nice? Sometimes as simple as looks, I don't think this particular Tele would look as good with a Rosewood board. Also I was thinking 2 guitars and I have strat/Tele and maple/rosewood covered.

DAKnox

Tele-Meister
Very very nice! I just picked this up Friday - partscaster Esquire with a natural Ash body by Musikraft and 2008 Fender Nashville Deluxe MIM neck - it’s got the Mike Elder custom 3-way switch wired and Fender Vintage 62 bridge assembly and pickup. No belly cut but it’s light I guess because of the Swamp Ash, and a pleasure to play.

Picked it up for $350 from a retired musician in his 70s downsizing and moving to a condo - he’s been playing in bands for 50 years and full-time professionally for the first 25.

How much was yours if you don’t mind me asking. View attachment 996564 View attachment 996565
Don't mind at all, but I'm in the UK so don't know how it'll compare but I got this for £900.

Last edited:

rschiller

TDPRI Member
I've been gigging for around 25 years and have had dozens of guitars but recently I've been consolidating - I get option paralysis! So I decided to have 1 good Strat and 1 good Tele.

This 2012 American Standard in Natural finish with an Ash body really took my eye and I just bought it today.

I've mostly had solid colours and the odd sunburst, but I do really like the look of this. It has the 6 saddles which I know isn't traditional, but I can work with either 3 or 6 to be honest. It also has the belly cut. I've always found Strats to be so comfortable, so although I love a vintage slab Tele I'm quite happy with this contour on a more modern appointed guitar.

Previous owner has installed Fender locking tuners. I've never needed or had them before but they do seem nice. They don't add too much weight do they?

Anyway I have only gave it a quick strum but will play it out properly soon!

Here it is...and alongside the American Pro Strat which I also acquired this year this is all the electric guitar I have. Thought I wanted a blonde (or white or even butterscotch) Tele but I really love the look of this one...

View attachment 995771 View attachment 995772 View attachment 995774 View attachment 995775
So what's not to like?! Lovely!! 6 pole pieces means you can get the neck exactly in tune.

BostonTeleGuy

TDPRI Member
Those 2 will take care of you for sure. I love the natural color. So much so that I had considered refin. on my 52 reissue but I just hate the idea of killing the value on it.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been gigging for around 25 years and have had dozens of guitars but recently I've been consolidating - I get option paralysis! So I decided to have 1 good Strat and 1 good Tele.

This 2012 American Standard in Natural finish with an Ash body really took my eye and I just bought it today.

I've mostly had solid colours and the odd sunburst, but I do really like the look of this. It has the 6 saddles which I know isn't traditional, but I can work with either 3 or 6 to be honest. It also has the belly cut. I've always found Strats to be so comfortable, so although I love a vintage slab Tele I'm quite happy with this contour on a more modern appointed guitar.

Previous owner has installed Fender locking tuners. I've never needed or had them before but they do seem nice. They don't add too much weight do they?

Here it is...and alongside the American Pro Strat which I also acquired this year this is all the electric guitar I have. Thought I wanted a blonde (or white or even butterscotch) Tele but I really love the look of this one...

View attachment 995771 View attachment 995772 View attachment 995774 View attachment 995775
Nice! I went through a similar exercise a couple of years back, just worked in reverse for me, kept my 2004 AmStd Strat and bought an AmPro Tele. Cleared out several MIMs and other guitars. Had those two, an old MIM, (my first electric) and old Yamaha acoustic for sentimental reasons. Was happy with the set and so was Mrs Wrighty, reclaimed cupboard space. Just be aware of GAS. Seems it’s a disease that can lie dormant for many years until something triggers a resurgence………………..bit like Spinal Tap amps, I’m up at 11 now!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Interesting question. I'm struggling to notice a significant discernable difference. The American Pro is supposed to have a little more meat on the shoulders than the previous standards but if I was pushed I'd say the tele neck is a shade thicker. Both feel like a C and there's not much in it to my hands.
Never measured but my AmPro Tele feels slightly chunkier in both width and depth than the AmStd Strat. Biggest difference is the tall frets on the Pro. Can’t say I have a preference though. Both mine have CS Texas Specials in them. Both have locking tuners.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Congratulations, a beautiful guitar.

I bought a new Natural Ash Telecaster in 2011 and it was probably the best looking Telecaster that I’ve owned..

DAKnox

Tele-Meister
It may be my imagination but I don't think I've ever posted a NGD that had so many likes, maybe the natural finish Teles are more popular than I realised!

scottrandall

TDPRI Member
I absolutely love the grain on that Tele! I have a '52 reissue mim blackguard (mine's nice, but your's is exceptional), and I've gone back and forth on the issue of a belly cut. A belly cut would bring mine in at under 7 1/2 lbs. (imo the sharp edges of some guitars make them feel every ounce of their weight. Ex., an 8 lb Tele feels heavier than an 8 - 8 1/2 Strat). The way your's doesn't detract from it's vintage appearance has made up my mind.

David Menke

TDPRI Member

PXL_20210805_140604963.MP.jpg
Having the natural swamp ash adds character to the guitar. This is a build, but setup as a Strat with Franlin Blues pickups on a Tele body. Lightweight and body cutouts make it easy to play.

crusader

TDPRI Member
I recently decided to make a Tele and was procrastinating about the finish so I had to check this out. The moment I saw the first picture I was sold on the idea of a natural finish. Nice guitar!

kuch

Tele-Holic

Nice guitars!

I'm kinda like you. I have 1 strat, but I couldn't help myself and have 3 tele's. My strat is a Fender EC in 2 tone sunburst.
I love natural/butterscotch blonde guitars. I recently picked up a '11 natural tele but with a rosewood fretboard. My favorite tele is my Fender 52 hotrod.

20220331_123010.jpg
Hotrod Tele.jpg

smoggyama

TDPRI Member
Have the same, less the contour. i sometimes catch myself saying "this guitar is f****n' bitchen". You have chosen wisely, my son.

jim232777

Tele-Meister
Love the natural approach. On pic 2, I am floored by how well they camouflaged the two piece seam. That small wavy stain stream, negates the two-piece seam. The guitar is definitely very cool. Play on

Some people are really good at that. The transparent red partscaster currently in my avatar has an ash body from Warmoth, and whoever did it ran the joint through the control cavity, so only a small length of it is visible from the front; additionally, they matched the grain so the join that *is* exposed is nearly invisible. It's so good, that when I posted build pics, someone asked if it was a one-piece body. (It's a lot easier to see from the back, but who's looking there?)

When I see one matched up like mine or the one here, I think, "Someone didn't get paid as much as they deserved that day."