NGD: American Original 60s tele, LPB

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fjrabon, Nov 14, 2019.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Well, I had a collection of guitars that had been sitting in my closet for a while: a 2011 traditional pro goldtop with P90s, a 2016 SG special and a 2015 50s classic lacquer series MiM telecaster.

the LP was heavier than I like, and P90s don’t really fit with either of my bands. But otherwise I loved it. But... I just never played it.

the SG... my opinion on SGs is they’re great if you nearly exclusively play SGs, but going back and forth with other guitars is too much of an adjustment. I always end up playing two frets further up the fretboard than I intended. If the song is in A there’s a chance I’ll start playing in B because of the neck joint location. Also it had a slim taper neck I wasn’t fond of.

the 50s classic lacquer series was great, loved the finish, the light weight and looks... except the combo of gloss maple fretboard, 7.25” radius and vintage frets. Changing any one of those may have fixed it... but together I just ended up shying away and it made me scared to really attack bends or play complicated licks with bends for fear of fretting out or not nailing the bend.

so... three guitars I liked certain things, and at times I even loved... but wasn’t playing at all.

So, guitar center was doing 15% off anything you buy with a trade in (normally it’s 10%). I packed them up, went in and was thinking, if I liked it, I’d get the sunburst 60s American Original tele.

so, I get there and there’s also a lake placid blue I notice. But the sunburst double bound custom tele has been what I’ve been thinking all along. I’m playing the sunburst and it’s very, very good. It’s a bit heavy, but just a very well made tele. Bends are effortlessly easy on the 9.5” radius board with the vintage tall frets. The neck is great.

On a lark, I pick up the lake placid blue. First thing I immediately notice, it’s 2+ pounds lighter. No exaggeration. The sunburst feels pretty close to my Les Paul, which is 9.5 lbs. the LPB feels very close to my tele I brought in, which was 6.5 lbs. can’t believe they were the same model with that weight difference.

Next, the LPB just plays like a dream. The neck has a little bit more comfortable shape to me. And I dig the subtle metallic of the LPB as well.

I plug them in and the LPB definitely has a bit more sustain and bite. Not a huge difference, but there. One felt like a very good guitar and one felt like a truly great guitar. The LPB has everything I liked about the sunburst, but was lighter, had better sustain and bite and a slightly more comfortable neck. The neck was one of those necks that “just gets out of the way” and feels like an extension of your hand.

so, I start the exchange process. It’s near closing time, but the young lady helping me doesn’t care at all, since she’s getting commission on almost $4000 worth of stuff (she also get commission on the buy ins when they sell, which I didn’t know).

I still have a hundred-ish dollars left in trade value since the discount knocked the AO down to $1700, with no taxes. So I grab a dozen sets of the new daddario XT strings and walk out the door not having spent a dollar other than some guitars that were just sitting in a closet. I actually got $4.32 in cash.

Got her home, did a minor truss rod adjustment, oiled the fretboard a little and lowered the action just a touch, put new strings on and... wow. This is just a supremely good guitar. $2000 guitars should be good, but this is truly great. It absolutely stands alongside my 335, 50s standard LP, PRS Vela, explorer and AmPro strat. Just feels like an absolute no compromise guitar to me. And the wife LOVES the lake placid blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

That is a very fine looking tele!!

fjrabon likes this.
  3. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Damn.... that’s beautiful!!

fjrabon likes this.
  4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Wow, I love it!

And I don't like blue guitars, usually. How can one go wrong with this beauty?
    Congrats.

DHart and fjrabon like this.
  5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Awesome! I would have gone for the Lake Placid too.

DHart, fjrabon and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

gorgeous! that's the way it should be. LPB and a rosewood board.

that Princeton you have there is a real stunner too. love the oxblood tolex.

7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Lovely, lovely and the board is nice and dark. A catch!

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Stunningly beautiful guitar you have there. All the better that it plays and feels like a dream. Sounds like you hit the jackpot! Happy NGD!

rze99 and fjrabon like this.
  9. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Great minds think alike...... owuEh3JzSPW9Lq1rRuqUng.jpg

Kreepy, brookdalebill, baiff and 6 others like this.
  10. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Congrats, these things are phenomenal playing and sounding Teles! Enjoy!!

fjrabon likes this.
  11. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Congratulations...very classy looking Tele!!

fjrabon likes this.
  12. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Partial family photo. These three will probably see the vast bulk of gig time for the foreseeable future:

[​IMG]
    create image url

Clifton C, mimmo, Crobbins and 3 others like this.
  13. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Great guitars....I have one too!

14. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

Looks great, I think Teles look better in a solid color than sunburst and the blue is amazing!

15. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

What a nice guitar! And those pickups sound wonderful!

16. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That guitar is desperately pretty. Congrats!

17. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Congrats.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Purdy!

19. hydra19

hydra19 TDPRI Member

Congratulations! I have the same guitar. One in mine collection that was bought new. I initially had only a Tele, but then bought all kinds of models, and had just about everything but a Tele. Now I'm back to Telecasting and loving it. Thinking about trading the rest for Teles now....How can I play a Tele and a Jackson USA Soloist with a floyd....it's too different!
    I'm really enjoying the Tele, it's very light, color is sexy as hell and it sounds great. I'm actually ok with the stock pickups for once and have raised the action. It's my guitar with the highest action but still feels easy to play....Nice guitars

20. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Double bound LPB? Yes, please! If I ever walked into the Telecaster Store with a fistful of dollars, and they had identical DB LPB and DB CAR hanging there, my head would probably a-splode. I’d go home with the LPB, but an a-sploded head.

I don’t often see LPB Fenders when I go to the store, for some reason. I would love to see two of them side by side, because they always look slightly different. Always beautiful, but different. In photos, even more so (not that my colour discrimination is at all fine-tuned). Yours and Joe M’s, for example, look different to me. I have a new-to-me Squier that may be LPB, but it’s more like Joe M’s than yours.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.