NGD American Original 50s Telecaster

Zapptron

TDPRI Member
This beauty popped up on my local Kijiji for an insanely low price (less than what used American Standards are going for!) so I snapped it up immediately.

It's a 2018 AO 50s, came with the case and all the candy and it seems virtually unplayed except for the strap rash and some chipping by the rear strap button.
My only other tele is a 2009 50s Hot Rod and in comparison this one definitely has the thicker neck and the pickups are more "classic tele" sounding, definitely an interesting contrast but it's great to have both flavours now!

I was hoping for a goldilocks in the 7.5lb range and it didn't seem heavy at all when I picked it up but at home on the digital scale it's right at 8lb which is in no way a deal breaker for me.
I haven't seen an AO in stock for years around here in Canada and they seem to be going used for $2000 CAD at the very minimum if they ever do pop up so this was definitely a great score!

If anyone knows how to easily get the strap rash out let me know, otherwise no biggie and I can totally live with it...

IMG_9877.jpg
IMG_9879.jpg

IMG_9880.jpg

birdawesome

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Nice find!! And yes, as stated above, the pushing compound should work well to get rid of that. I personally like using this stuff:

The blue compound is an abrasive to remove surface scratches as a buffer, and the red fills in the hazy fine scratches, leaving you a glassy surface. Works great!

ponycar

Tele-Meister
I second what kuch stated. Make sure it's a good polish, such as 3M Finesse, ect, not a rubbing compound or a "wax" silicone or other barrier. The slight chipping near the strap button from putting it on the floor, leaning it against an amp etc, could be stopped from further chipping with a proper clear laquer touch up/seal and isolated to that area. My favorite modern Fender, by the way. Congratulations.

Attachments

• 16635282984948306590443899113001.jpg
    16635282984948306590443899113001.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 20

Zapptron

TDPRI Member
Nice find!! And yes, as stated above, the pushing compound should work well to get rid of that. I personally like using this stuff:

The blue compound is an abrasive to remove surface scratches as a buffer, and the red fills in the hazy fine scratches, leaving you a glassy surface. Works great!

Thanks, I will try it!

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
Mine has the same strange discoloration in the same area, I could care less…..
I think this was fenders best of the best of the AO, line, the 50, tele.
wish the color was a bit lighter, and I think pickups are the only thing really holding them back from being stellar. At least in my case, a set of don mare hot baklights made it probably the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. It is a goldilocks, a bit under 7 pounds, and I picked out of a stack of about 10…I would love just as much if it were an 8 pounder if it sounded the same, .shame fender dropped this line.

Attachments

• 9879448A-84D6-4297-A5D9-1B0C3F898ABE.jpeg
    9879448A-84D6-4297-A5D9-1B0C3F898ABE.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Supertwang

TDPRI Member
This beauty popped up on my local Kijiji for an insanely low price (less than what used American Standards are going for!) so I snapped it up immediately.

It's a 2018 AO 50s, came with the case and all the candy and it seems virtually unplayed except for the strap rash and some chipping by the rear strap button.
My only other tele is a 2009 50s Hot Rod and in comparison this one definitely has the thicker neck and the pickups are more "classic tele" sounding, definitely an interesting contrast but it's great to have both flavours now!

I was hoping for a goldilocks in the 7.5lb range and it didn't seem heavy at all when I picked it up but at home on the digital scale it's right at 8lb which is in no way a deal breaker for me.
I haven't seen an AO in stock for years around here in Canada and they seem to be going used for $2000 CAD at the very minimum if they ever do pop up so this was definitely a great score!

If anyone knows how to easily get the strap rash out let me know, otherwise no biggie and I can totally live with it...

View attachment 1030206 View attachment 1030211

View attachment 1030214
Glad you had the ready cash available to jump on it you lucky xxxxxxxxxx

pageophile

TDPRI Member
Congratulations! Great looking guitar. I have two Tele’s from the AO series and I consider them lifetime keepers. I hope yours is a similar experience.