NGD - Almost :(

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by The Angle, Aug 14, 2020.

1. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

A week ago, I ordered a Vintera '50s Modified Telecaster from one of the big online retailers during an open-box special. They knocked $200 off the sticker, which got the guitar into what I consider the proper price range. (I assume these Vinteras are very popular because no one's discounting them and no one's offloading lightly-used ones.)

Anyway, fast-forward to the end of the week of anxious waiting and today the package arrives. Only it's not the Modified model, it's the standard Vintera '50s. Very nice, but not what it was described as or what I paid for. And because it's an open-box item, there's no swapping it for the right one off the shelf.

Total bummer.

I suppose the silver lining is that after playing this one for a while (of course I played it!), I can see it's a nice instrument and I'd still like to have the Modified version, but I don't see any rationale for these being worth two of my Classic Vibes. I guess I'll just keep my $800 in the bank and my Classic Vibe near at hand, and wait for Vinteras to arrive on the used market before jumping into that water again.

Not the happy NGD I was looking forward to. :(

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    tce63, nicknklv, Matthias and 3 others like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear that. Are you sending it back then?

3. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Yep. If you're looking for an open box deal on a 50s Vintera, one should be available again soon.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    boris bubbanov and tce63 like this.
  4. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister

Maybe you should still post pics?

drmordo likes this.
  5. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Sorry about this terrible disappointment, I know I would be very disappointed as well. Nothing like anxiously waiting for a new axe/amp/pedal, just to discover it's not what you ordered or it being sub par to what you expected.

But yes, still post pics as we like pics around here!

GDR

Ronzo likes this.
  6. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear that! I love my regular 50’s Vintera tele but you’re need to get what you want and what you ordered! Good luck!

7. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear that. Good luck.

8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Of course photos are needed. How could I be so thoughtless?

Vintera1.jpg Vintera2.jpg

My plan was to noodle on the guitar through the weekend, just because it's here. But guitars are like puppies - the more you play with them, the more you want to adopt them forever. Maybe I need to box this up and take it to the UPS store this morning. If I don't, it might never leave.

I quite like the 7.25 neck. Pickups are lower output than I'm accustomed to but sound good. Whoever had this guitar before me was one of those guys whose hand sweat dissolves guitar strings; the strings are visibly corroded and the brass saddles are discolored. The action is higher than I like, the neck has too much relief, and the nut slots could be a touch deeper. If I did a full setup so I could really gauge its potential - yeah, I suspect I'd wind up keeping it regardless of my intentions. But I'd still prefer the Modified version.

Must . . . be . . . strong . . .

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    koopus likes this.
  9. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

Vintera 50s owner here. The difference in pups between the mod and regular is night and day in favor of Mod. You also get S1 switching which is well worth it. Also, the Soft V neck is magic.

I see no reason you should keep this if you've paid for a different (IMO better) guitar. Get your money back asap and find a deal on a new Mod. Good luck! :)

The Angle likes this.
  10. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

The story turns out to have a surprise twist happy ending.

A few days after I returned the guitar, an ad showed up on local Craigslist for a 2012 American Standard. The AS has the same Twisted Tele neck pickup as the Vintera plus a Broadcaster bridge pickup. It's a modern C neck instead of the soft V; I'm OK with that. Three-way switch instead of four-way; that's an easy swap. No S-1 switching; won't miss it. A cut-out on the tone knob removes the pot from the circuit entirely; that's sweet. The guitar is in like-new condition, beautiful jade pearl finish, it's an American-made classic, and a little friendly negotiation got the price to only a few dollars more than what the open-box Vintera would have cost with tax. The seller was super nice, just offloading excess gear to make room for a new baby.

It was a smooth Craigslist transaction the way they're supposed to go, and I got my NGD after all.

Oh, and a portrait.

IMG_20200824_110336510.jpg

Now, if I had a new amp to go with it, I'd really be set . . .

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    singlecoil, glenlivet, KATT and 7 others like this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Happy ending...sweet score!

The Angle and boris bubbanov like this.
  12. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Love happy endings. Case, too?

The Angle likes this.
  13. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I’d definitely send it back. I’ve played them. Not worth $800, let alone the normal price. And if the Player strats continue to rise in price, then I’ve likely bought my last new Fender.

jh

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats!

If it isn't too late, maybe you should revise the title of the thread?

The Angle likes this.
  15. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Yes, original black molded case with keys and original Fender strap but no other case candy. I like this Levy's strap better. The previous owner also swapped the tuners for Fender locking tuners, and I didn't get the originals.

I wanted to, but I couldn't find the tool on this thread today. I know I've seen it as an option on other threads I've started, but it comes up so seldom that I don't recall how it's done. Does that option expire after X days?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.