NGD....again. Epi Riviera, Royal Tan

superbadj

Poster Extraordinaire
Well....some semi-hollow bug bit me. I couple of weeks ago I got a Rivolta Regata. And it shocked me how much I was enjoying it.

So I started watching loads of videos on other guitars. I've always been curious about mini-buckers, and the finish on the Royal Tan Riviera that Epi started producing again recently is just amazing. This guy's two videos really kinda convinced me to give one a whirl.

Found one at $100 off from American Musical Supply and decided to get it.

And it's great! Pickups are really, really good. VERY clear. Plays great. 7lbs10oz, so not heavy but not featherweight. GREAT looking and sounding guitar.

I gotta stop watching videos, eh? tempImageTcXxFL.png

Soon I'm going to get gold knobs w/silver inserts so I can have it look like this one. Shoulda shipped like this from the factory IMO!

C32284F9-23FA-444C-A179-E7950EF87523_1_201_a.jpeg

OK DUMMY NO MORE GUITARS. (talking to myself).

superbadj

Poster Extraordinaire
I did finally pull the pickguard and pickup plastic off yesterday. Wish my pic (first one) didn't have it all wrinkled! Totally forgot about it.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
I was looking for one of those and lucked into a used one in my area for cheap because the guy had a stop tail installed (why???). I put a Bigsby B11 on it and just love it. Pickups are really great, Epi has really dialed in their mini-hums.
Love that Royal Tan color too!

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Cool guitar! I've gotten into semi-hollow and hollow body guitars over the past 6 months, too. Your Riviera looks great. Does it have a rosewood fretboard or laurel? I thought they have Indian Laurel fretboards, but yours looks too good to be Laurel.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
WOW! Very nice Epi. My first really good guitar was back in the early-mid 60's...a USA Epiphone Riviera, about that same color with a factory-installed Bigsby. I can't count the times I regretted selling it. I was about 14-15 years old when I got it and sold it right before I joined the USMC in 1970.
Congrats on that very beautiful Riviera!

superbadj

Poster Extraordinaire
Cool guitar! I've gotten into semi-hollow and hollow body guitars over the past 6 months, too. Your Riviera looks great. Does it have a rosewood fretboard or laurel? I thought they have Indian Laurel fretboards, but yours looks too good to be Laurel.
It's Laurel, but it is fairly dark. Could use some oil on the next string change but it's a nice board, no issues there IMHO. While I prefer rosewood of course, there are some really nice looking Laurel boards around, and this is one. I've seen a number of pics and most seem fairly dark on this particular model, for whatever reason.

These pickups really are outstanding.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
Big congratulations! I really love this guitar, used to have one and obviously I sold it because of no real reason, just my stupidity.

Enjoy, it's a real beauty!

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
It's Laurel, but it is fairly dark. Could use some oil on the next string change but it's a nice board, no issues there IMHO. While I prefer rosewood of course, there are some really nice looking Laurel boards around, and this is one. I've seen a number of pics and most seem fairly dark on this particular model, for whatever reason.

These pickups really are outstanding.
If you ever want a really dark fretboard, Fiebings Leather Dye works great. I did it on my son's Epi Wilshire reissue with a Laurel fretboard.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Very nice. I'm a big fan of minis. Clear and bright like BB King. Add some gain/overdrive and you're Angus Young.

You're right on those knobs. What were they thinking?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Strait Music here got a couple, a year ago.
They sold almost immediately, and have not been seen around here since.
I want one.
I shoulda bought the cool red one I played.
He who hesitates is lost, man!